Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What do Jewish-Americans have to do with Israel?
Amen... it's like asking why Ireland isn't a super power. Or how about El Salvador? Salvadorans are doing very well in America, so why isn't El Salvador a G8 country?

Politics and resources trump genetics people!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What do Jewish-Americans have to do with Israel?
Well, the premise of the OP is that the success of Jews in America has to do with inborn superiority that thus must be shared with their cousins in Israel. If Jews are inherently superior, why isn't Israel more powerful?

My belief, in contrast, is that certain cultural values combined with opportunities that are available in America contributed to the success of many American Jews. That said, the vast majority of Jews in America are regular middle class folks with the same struggles as the mainstream population and that they are not some sort of persecuted ubermensch.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
No doubt many Jews are successful, but not all. That's a bit of a stereotype.

Anyway as for Israel, it's a very small nation only focused on defense. It doesn't have the power to expand nor does it want to, just wants to be acknowledge by Arab countries and live in peace.

Also the Jewish community is very divided. There are many Jews who are extremely liberal, often these Jews are atheists. They are also self hating Jews who despise their own people and hate Israel too.

The sad, cold hard truth is that liberals only like Jews as long as their victims. Once they started standing up for themselves the liberals got mad.
The ignorance seething from that post is...

Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The ignorance seething from that post is...
This whole thread is a total fail.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This whole thread is a total fail.
Politics and Other Controversies section is certainly at a new low in general today... If that was possible...

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Politics and Other Controversies section is certainly at a new low in general today... If that was possible...
I agree...I get sick of all the liberal-baiting threads. I see some baiting conservatives, but I think the ratio is probably 80% to 20% liberal-baiting vs conservative-baiting, with race-baiting and religion-baiting thrown in for good measure.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,263,873 times
I've known some successful jews who came here after the holocaust. Their motivation was a combination of making up for those who had lost their lives or potential due to deadly persecution and to prove that they were worthwhile in striving to improve the world somehow. A little extra incentive as it were. I suspect this may be the case in other times too. The tendency to specialize in portable professional education and careers doesn't hurt either.

Israel is on the forefront of innovation in medicine, technology, and computers. Right up there with other world leaders. You could say they were a super power in those fields. The weighty responsibility of necessary defense and relocation assistance to brethren who are in jeopardy worldwide is a drain on their economy. As for jews concentration in finance, you tend to hone those skills when that is the only job you're allowed for ions. The media and entertainment, looked down on previously by society, and also portable.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm halfway through a book that was published in Germany, in 1925, that touches on that subject and beliefs, among others.
lol, wut?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,753,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So do you think there is a Jewish takeover.....?

You sound rather frightening IMO and anti-Semitic and if that was not your intention, you come across that way as it reminds me of Nazi's and their reasons for enslaving Jews during WW2.
Sometimes you have to look at things objectively. There are things that you may not like to hear but that doesn't mean that they can't be true or that they should just be dismissed as "anti-Semitism".

Old 09-28-2013, 05:23 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,231,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
In American, Jewish people are by far the most successful group of people. Most of the richest people in American are Jewish, despite representing only a small portion of the population. They hold most of the highest positions in media/entertainment industries and finance. So why isn't Israel more of a superpower? Even for their size, why isn't their GDP per person higher in Israel?

Because GDP doesn't just happen magically. It takes time and development to build. Israel is a tiny state that began in 1948. It's GDP will never be more than a flyspeck compared to the EU or USA anyway. Expansion of the money supply is a component. But, you can't just expand the money supply in a nation that size as easily as you can in a huge nation like the US.

If I had to guess - and I really don't have to, because I have paid subscription access to some of the finest economic and financial websites on the web - I would say Israel will probably never have a really high GDP. Unless they miraculously tap into a huge reservoir of some rare metal or gas that the rest of the world can't do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.