Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm much more inclined to support subsidizing people who are productive and create food for people than people who sit back and let someone else produce for them.
You do know that many many, if not the majority, of people on food stamps already work? Not everyone on food stamps is a fat, uneducated black woman that never had a job in her life complete with 10 kids from 4 boyfriends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You do know that many many, if not the majority, of people on food stamps already work?
I specifically said I wasn't talking about people who are productive. Maybe you should learn to read.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I appreciate you bringing this up. But really, there are better ways to eliminate even more federal gov't spending, but for political reasons no one will vote for them (not buying unnecessary things for defense is a good example).

This doesn't change what I said, though. Republicans are still just as much of "gimmes" as welfare recipients are. They love to blast poor people for taking government aid, but go try taking away their free schools or social security or Medicare, or eliminate an unnecessary tax break, and they'll flip out.
I somewhat agree with this.
There needs to be Medicare/aid and SS reform too.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
I specifically said I wasn't talking about people who are productive. Maybe you should learn to read.
Maybe you should learn to write your own native language better

Quote:
I'm much more inclined to support subsidizing people who are productive and create food for people¹ than people who sit back and let someone else produce for them².
¹That means you only support subsidizing the "job creators". Key qualifier here is the word "and"
²Everyone else that's not a "job creator"

Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
You do know that many many, if not the majority, of people on food stamps already work? Not everyone on food stamps is a fat, uneducated black woman that never had a job in her life complete with 10 kids from 4 boyfriends
NO ONE has an issue with these folks needing assistance.

We have an issue with the last part of your post. And all the welfare fraud.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The farm aid thing was never meant to give handouts to huge corporate farmers and wealthy landowners, either.
Exactly right and why isn't Teapotty favorite Michele Bachmann's name on that list? She's a long time farm subsidy welfare queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNe9W-q6E4o

Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
I'm much more inclined to support subsidizing people who are productive and create food for people than people who sit back and let someone else produce for them.
The question is of NEED. 100,00 people barely scraping by certainly need a few hundred dollars for food more than an executive needs a new million-dollar house.

It'd be great if the government could give out cookies to people for working hard but I think the private sector does a good enough job of that. And that's not even the case here, for these companies "work" by giving money to legislators' campaigns, and get their welfare in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The farm aid thing was never meant to give handouts to huge corporate farmers and wealthy landowners, either.
You can thank Monsanto, USDA and FDA for this.

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
What are the food stamp recipients going to buy if we no farms to grow food for people? Skittles and watermelon drinks?
The government hands out $1.3 billion to people who don't farm. This is a decent article about how farm subsidies have gone way off track.

Farm Program Pays $1.3 Billion to People Who Don't Farm

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-22-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Maybe you should learn to write your own native language better

¹That means you only support subsidizing the "job creators". Key qualifier here is the word "and"
²Everyone else that's not a "job creator"
I didn't say anything about job creators, you're the only one in here making ignorant and sweeping generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies