Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The more education one has the lower the tendency to vote Republican. I don't doubt that there are datasets skewing the data. I mean, the more educated earn more and higher earners vote Republican, but we have a divergence in voting patterns. Dr's and university profs lean left, the military and lesser educated lean right, but higher income earners lean right. Strange I know, but this is the data we have.

Even if we look at white people, whom are not beholden to any party, we see the same thing.
So essentially if we don't correct for income, more education is associated with voting Republican to a point (college completion) whereas if we do correct for income, then education is correlated with voting Democratic. Makes sense. I'd be interested to see how each of those relationships hold if instead of looking at party identification or voting we could instead narrow down to fiscal and social liberalism/conservatism -- would not be surprised to see the income effect linked up with fiscal conservatism and the educational effect linked up with social liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I think that it is about time to change rules of the game so that a person's vote really counts...

If you vote Republican and the representative you helped get elected votes to defund a program that you genuinely rely upon, even if that bill is vetoed or outvoted, you still lose your personal funding from the program just because that is the representative that you voted for. Suffer the consequences of your vote by having your vote really count...too damn bad.
Sure, and if you vote for someone who votes for tax increases and terrible healthcare bills, you get your taxes raised and you have to go on Obamacare. The rest of us get left alone. Sounds great to me.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Farm subsidies: A welfare program for agribusiness
It's one of the most widely reviled federal programs. So why is Congress fighting to save farm subsidies
?

Why not kill subsidies altogether?

Politics. The farm lobby has immense power in Washington, thanks to its generous contributions to congressional campaigns and political parties, and to the large number of legislators from farm states — most of them Republican. Democrats have also traditionally supported the farm bill because it contains food stamp funding. This year, that partnership broke down, when House Republicans passed a version of the farm bill that strips the legislation of its food stamp provisions for the first time since 1973. President Obama responded by threatening to veto any legislation that doesn't include food stamp funding. At the moment, the situation is at a stalemate.

Farm subsidies: A welfare program for agribusiness - The Week
I won't argue that, but the Dems play just as much a role in it.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The Tea Party is in large part made up of people who are on government handouts. Take a look at the Red States. They are farmers and senior citizens and the the brainwashed who didn't graduate from high school. I live in a town where there are 8 high school dropouts for every college graduate. The town always votes Republican. The town is one giant gubbermint handout from SS down to disabilities. Half the town has Snap, Schip, and Medicaid. The other half has Medicare. Nobody pays taxes in this town except a few people who vote Democrat. I wish there was a way that those who complain about big gubbermint could by cut off from aid. When you look at a welfare recipient you are looking at a Republican.
BOTH parties are!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
So essentially if we don't correct for income, more education is associated with voting Republican to a point (college completion) whereas if we do correct for income, then education is correlated with voting Democratic. Makes sense. I'd be interested to see how each of those relationships hold if instead of looking at party identification or voting we could instead narrow down to fiscal and social liberalism/conservatism -- would not be surprised to see the income effect linked up with fiscal conservatism and the educational effect linked up with social liberalism.
Not quite. More income is associated with voting for Republicans and more education is associated with voting for Democrats. Teachers tend to support Dems more often than not as do doctors and Asians. I would not draw any type of inference from the data though. I mean, it's obvious that the data is skewed by one group or another considering that higher education is also correlated with higher income.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm much more inclined to support subsidizing people who are productive and create food for people than people who sit back and let someone else produce for them.
"Much more inclined?"

Still punking out and refusing to take a position, huh?

Are you for FOR these subsidies or not?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The F/S program was never designed to be this big. It's unsustainable with all our current expenditures.
Eh hem, some of those other " current expenditures" is right!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The farm aid thing was never meant to give handouts to huge corporate farmers and wealthy landowners, either.
Thank you.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
I won't argue that, but the Dems play just as much a role in it.
No Democrats voted for the bill, and 15 Republicans voted against GOP leaders.
House votes to cut food stamps by $39 billion - The Hill's Floor Action

Kudos to the republicans that voted against it, but please explain how the democrats played a role.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
BOTH parties are!
Both paries are what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies