Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Ah government. The biggest racketeering organization known to man.
As far as I know, no permit is required when you have a handgun or rifle in your house.

The permit is for concealed-carry. (A firearm on your person when you are not on your own property.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Ah government. The biggest racketeering organization known to man.
while i agree with that sentiment, i also agree with concealed carry permits. it isnt an infringement of the second amendment, as it doesnt prevent people from carrying otherwise, and in order to get one, people have to go through a gun safety course and spend time on the shooting range. one side benefit, in arizona at least, is that when you go to buy a gun after you get your ccw permit, you dont have to go through the background check anymore for five years.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Very intriguing. I still don't understand this idea of permits though. If the 2nd amendment recognizes the right of the people to keep and bear arms, then why is a permit required?
It's not like a permit is required for any of the other amendments.
A permit is what governments use to restrict or deny some people's right to own or carry, despite the 2nd amendment's ban on such restrictions.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM

78,413 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There are about 11,000 gun homicides per year in the US. Some are 'bad-guy on bad-guy' and others 'bad-guy on good guy' and some are justifiable 'good guy on bad guy'. How many lives were saved by these justifiable deaths - you know - good guy kills bad guy in a kill or be killed situation?
My friend and her young child. She was forced to shoot a home-invader that came after her while her husband was away. Guy had a rap sheet a mile long and she lived in a rural area with cops at least 20min. away.

Oh, and last week an elderly farmer and his wife were held hostage by an escaped prisoner that had shot a cop earlier. The farmer got his gun when the guy wasn't looking and shot him dead.

Thanks for asking!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Those who think the need guns should not have them...Those who believe they do not need a gun should have one. It's like money...money is not evil - the love of money is...The gun is not evil..the love of the gun is.
I love my guns, am I evil? Besides my family they are my most prized positions. How do you know me so well to determin that I am evil?
I don't love my guns, any more than I love the wrenches and screwdrivers in my toolbox or the hand brush on the sink... or the fire extinguisher in the garage.

They're just tools I need to get various jobs done.

Some of them, I hope never to need. But on the very rare occasions when I need them, I really need them.

BTW, you might have noticed that olegbach tends to make up weird and crazy fantasies and assign them to other people, to justify his fear of guns. I wouldn't take him seriously if I were you. He'll just keep babbling, no matter what you point out to him.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If some guy wants to rob a liquor store or mug an old lady, and then notices there is someone with a gun nearby and decides not to do it, how do we count that as "a life saved"?

Nothing happened. No threats made, no shots fired, nobody got robbed, nobody frightened, nada.

Yet there definitely could have been a "life saved". And if that happens a thousand times over the course of a few weeks in all the major cities in the country, we can be almost certain that some lives were saved by guns, that would have been lost if the law-abiding folks hadn't had them.

But you'll never see them on TV or in the papers, never see any police reports about it, won't even hear about it over the back fence as gossip.

Yes these are "lives saved by guns", as surely as the guy who had some guy pull a gun on him and demand his wallet, and pulled his own gun and made the criminal run away or surrender.

Except that they are probably MORE numerous.

The biggest benefit of having law-abiding citizens carry guns whenever they want to, is that a lot of crimes that would have happened, aren't even tried. In other words, deterrence.
With the deterrences such as the hypothetical one described above, which likely happens every day, it is clear that the advantages of law-abiding people carryig guns is even more lopsided than the published figures show.

These deterrences happen. But nobody can "count" them, since they occur entirely in the mind of the criminal. But they are no less real. His potential victims never know about them, since he simply turns and walks away before they ever knew what he had been intending.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There are about 11,000 gun homicides per year in the US. Some are 'bad-guy on bad-guy' and others 'bad-guy on good guy' and some are justifiable 'good guy on bad guy'. How many lives were saved by these justifiable deaths - you know - good guy kills bad guy in a kill or be killed situation?

You should also ask "how many people died because they were denied the right of self defense?"

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
A permit is what governments use to restrict or deny some people's right to own or carry, despite the 2nd amendment's ban on such restrictions.
Exactly. A permit means the almighty government is permitting you something. Who are they to put themselves into the position of rights grantors, when said rights are, according to the Declaration of Independence, granted by God?
(i.e. - We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights)

Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
With the deterrences such as the hypothetical one described above, which likely happens every day, it is clear that the advantages of law-abiding people carryig guns is even more lopsided than the published figures show.

These deterrences happen. But nobody can "count" them, since they occur entirely in the mind of the criminal. But they are no less real. His potential victims never know about them, since he simply turns and walks away before they ever knew what he had been intending.
Say what?

And of course we all know this happens how exactly? Because while concealed carry is just that to the rest of the human race with no one supposedly knowing you've got a gun tucked into your belt; criminals somehow deduce that there are too many 'concealed carry' present to perpetrate their crime.

Now, as regards open carry you might have a point.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
I don't love my guns, any more than I love the wrenches and screwdrivers in my toolbox or the hand brush on the sink... or the fire extinguisher in the garage.

They're just tools I need to get various jobs done.

Some of them, I hope never to need. But on the very rare occasions when I need them, I really need them.

BTW, you might have noticed that olegbach tends to make up weird and crazy fantasies and assign them to other people, to justify his fear of guns. I wouldn't take him seriously if I were you. He'll just keep babbling, no matter what you point out to him.
Aaaaw c'mon, ya gotta love your gun. I, as a retired tool maker who once worked for Canadian Arsenals cannot think of any tiddlier piece of engineering as simple and perfected as the inner workings of something akin to Mister Brownings semi-auto 9mm pistol to which I, early in my trades career, contributed by maintaining and setting the tooling for the various machines that the women were running that manufactured those things by the thousands.

I do not own one or want one but they are; like the colt .45 a remarkable piece of engineering for their simplicity and functional performance.

I love the small block chevy V8 for similar reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies