Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where has that odd association liberal-Muslim come from, that is so frequent on this forum? I never got that. Real liberals are pretty much against Islam...
Um, speak for yourself pal.

I'm against Islam about as much as Christianity. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada. I'm not against any religion.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If this was done by a white lone shooter, the liberals here would be all over the story, shamelessly trashing any white male, and likely trying to paint them as conservatives, despite the evidence that that the white shooters and bombers in mass attacks that took place in the U.S. during the past few years have had Democratic Party ideologies.

Muslim extremists attack an upscale Nairobi mall in Kenya, take hostages, and kill nearly 3 score in total of people, and the left is deafeningly silent.

Sure - deflect by accusing Harrier of politicizing a tragedy.

You have no back up - when you would do the exact same thing, as illustrated by Harrier in paragraph #1, had the circumstances been different, in specific ways.
Well, it is in Africa. I'm surprised this event is getting coverage.

[there is nothing to politicize here]

Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What passages in the bible call for beating wives if they do not listen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't recall any such verses that should apply to Christians.
Quote:
None, that is just another left wing straw man and a really pathetic one at that.

The Bible does say that a man should love his wife as Christ loves the church, but the Christian bashers don't like any positive verses so they have to make up lies.
If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her ... and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: And the damsel's father shall say ... these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. ... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die. Deuteronomy 22:13-21

And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the *****, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire. Leviticus 21:9

When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.Judges 19:24-25

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. I Corinthians 14:34-35

but lets all pretend the bible doesnt mistreat women. As i said before, just because your preacher skips a verse doesnt mean it isnt in the Bible.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
On the other hand, just because something is said in the Bible or the Quran doesn't mean modern followers believe/follow those verses. Let's be fair here, ok?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
On the other hand, just because something is said in the Bible or the Quran doesn't mean modern followers believe/follow those verses. Let's be fair here, ok?
To be fair, there are plenty of modern followers (even a plentiful supply right on this forum) who will ignore huge swaths of the written laws of their religion but selectively endorse certain laws which support their own personal feelings and biases.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her ... and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: And the damsel's father shall say ... these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. ... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die. Deuteronomy 22:13-21

And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the *****, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire. Leviticus 21:9

When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.Judges 19:24-25

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. I Corinthians 14:34-35

but lets all pretend the bible doesnt mistreat women. As i said before, just because your preacher skips a verse doesnt mean it isnt in the Bible.
You claimed that the Bible contains a verse that instructs a husband to beat their wife if they do not listen.

None of those verses which you quoted fits the bill, which is why you had to lie.

We get that you hate people of faith - ay least be honest when you engage in your bigotry.

As for your nonsense that we are supposed to stone or burn people, you show yourself as foolish when you quote verses out of context of the Bible as a whole, and are acting exactly like the Pharisees whom Jesus criticized for being legalistic.

Any honest reading of the New Testament will make it abundantly clear that such actions by any member of a Christian marriage are not condoned by the Lord.

That is the problem with people such as yourself who mine the Bible for "ammunition" rather than truly seeking to understand it - you wind up demonstrating just how little you actually know, while pretending to pass yourself off as an expert.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
You will not find a group of Christians arming themselves and killing innocent people...in the name of God....Islam does have that component ....they are motivated by vicious hatred and they kill.....that is the difference... When you hear a radical Muslim scream "God is great"...they have it backwards - They may as well be screaming Satan is great....I really don't think these folks know the difference between good and evil.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You will not find a group of Christians arming themselves and killing innocent people...in the name of God....Islam does have that component ....they are motivated by vicious hatred and they kill.....that is the difference... When you hear a radical Muslim scream "God is great"...they have it backwards - They may as well be screaming Satan is great....I really don't think these folks know the difference between good and evil.
Christianity certainly has a very bloody history which includes genocide, torture, and the killing of entire towns of people--men, women and children alike.

Obviously this isn't happening much in the modern world, aside from recent "troubles" in Ireland, the "ethnic cleansing" of Muslims in Bosnia a couple decades back, the occasional abortion doctor being murdered and things like that which are really relatively rare, fringe activities.

But from its inception to about 4 or 500 years ago? Plenty of blood and violence in Christianity.

Remember Islam is about 500 years younger than Christianity.

I'm not giving Islamist extremism a pass. Trust me, I believe members of the Taliban should be killed on sight for example.

But the really radical, zealous, suicide bombers are not representative of the entirety of Muslims around the globe anymore than Westboro is indicative of Christians as a whole.

In truth, for all the good it CAN do, religion can also be twisted to justify all kinds of atrocities, and it has been, and not just within one specific religion.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
If this was done by a white lone shooter, the liberals here would be all over the story, shamelessly trashing any white male, and likely trying to paint them as conservatives, despite the evidence that that the white shooters and bombers in mass attacks that took place in the U.S. during the past few years have had Democratic Party ideologies.

Muslim extremists attack an upscale Nairobi mall in Kenya, take hostages, and kill nearly 3 score in total of people, and the left is deafeningly silent.

Sure - deflect by accusing Harrier of politicizing a tragedy.

You have no back up - when you would do the exact same thing, as illustrated by Harrier in paragraph #1, had the circumstances been different, in specific ways.
Don't be so daft. No liberal or conservative likes what happened in that shopping mall. Your attempt at smearing liberals with an unrelated terrorist attack really calls your integrity, intelligence, and overall credibility into question.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe if you get your face out of Faux News arse you'd see plenty of liberals (like me) who are appalled by this level of carnage and violence.

Seriously, I'm ****ing sick of hearing this crap every time a tragedy happens. Why don't you focus on the ones committing these atrocities instead of playing some assholish version of gotcha?

YOU Libuuuuruuuullllss own it.............wanting to bring in more and more 9th world savages, many of them Headchoppers, into the USAtard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies