Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I have never seen anyone wear a Burka or carry a backpack in a mall. Maybe it has to do with your area.
I think women wearing burkas are more prevalent in big cities especially in the North East. When I lived in Miami, I saw one or two in a month. But in Philadelphia and NYC (not in the tourist areas but in the residential areas), I see more often. And it is true that usually, I see them more in rather precarious areas.
And yes, I know difference between burqa and hijab.

I am not discriminating either, but I usually become a bit more cautious when I see one of them in the subway on my way home. Partially, it is because we don't know what they are hiding underneath (if they happen to be bad persons / men , which is rare to none in the US). But I think there is also a psychological aspect to it. I don't remember where I read it, but it is the same fear that terrorize some adults and alot of kids when they see clowns: you are unable to see their TRUE facial expressions. As a part of animal kingdom, we recognize and acknowledge one another from their facial features and expressions.
Just my two cents...

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 09-23-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You may have seen women wearing a hijab (in fact, many Orthodox Jewish women wear similar headcoverings), but it would be rather unlikely to see a burqa in public in the US, given that the covered-face type of wardrobe is an Arabian peninsula thing.

And frankly, any place that is going to ban religious garb is a place that will no longer get my business. Given the number of concealed carry permits out there, you can imagine the number of different outfits that could EASILY accommodate weaponry. Should I get a pat-down next time I wear a maxi dress?
Jewish women only cover their hair and their face can be seen completely.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've never seen anyone wear a burkha in public in the US.
You don't live in southern California.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You don't live in southern California.
No, I live in DFW instead..it's so podunk that it's only the fourth-largest metro area in the country.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
I see all the progressive nuts hate this idea, but God forbid you wear a cross necklace at a college here, you'll be asked to remove it and the Progressives will cheer!

Quote:
A 19-year-old California student has filed a religious accommodation request at Sonoma State University after she said school officials ordered her to remove her cross necklace, because it might “offend others.”[LEFT]

Sonoma State University supervisor orders student to remove cross necklace - Washington Times

See, it's ok to tell people what they can wear or not wear if it might offend someone, but you can't do it if it involves public safety. Anyway, malls can make any rules they want to, that includes backpacks and burkas if they want to.
[/LEFT]

Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Dressing up in costumes should really be limited to Halloween. No reason to wrap yourself in a black sheet the rest of the time. Come on, get into the 21st century, not the 6th.
So all nuns and priests, too.
Buddhists need to take off their robes.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I see all the progressive nuts hate this idea, but God forbid you wear a cross necklace at a college here, you'll be asked to remove it and the Progressives will cheer!

Sonoma State University supervisor orders student to remove cross necklace - Washington Times

See, it's ok to tell people what they can wear or not wear if it might offend someone, but you can't do it if it involves public safety. Anyway, malls can make any rules they want to, that includes backpacks and burkas if they want to.
What makes you think that the vast majority of liberals would be on board with this?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
The vast majority of muslim women in America wear a hijab, not a burkha.

Hijab

Burkha

Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I've seen a few of them tron burka bots at the super market, they could be carrying almost anything under that black exoskeleton..
Well then you better stay locked inside your home 24/7, you never know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Recently I saw a group of women with Burka's and one men walking close to a Temple/Synagoge and although nothing happened it scared me a little bit. You may call it over reacting but seeing and knowing what is happening in Europe I have all reasons to be worried.
Yes, I'll call it overreacting.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
why are Americans so ignorantly xenophobic? this is just getting embarrassing. 1. I have traveled around this country and I have NEVER seen any woman so covered up that you can only see her eyes. I doubt many of you have either. I have seen them covered where you can only see their faces. how is that different than a traditional nun's outfit? oh, that's right, Catholics never blew up anything. (/sarcasm)

2. do you really think that any smart terrorist is going to go into a mall to blow it up in a burka or something else associated with Islam? they're not going to want to draw attention to themselves. they're going to want to look like everyone else and get close to as many people as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies