Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 PM

504 posts, read 1,762,475 times

Advertisements

Most of the people who posted here would have no clue if someone is gay, most gays that I have known and I have known and know a lot you could not tell, some of my friends play baseball, football, drive trucks and horrors one is a doctor and a few are nurses, some are school teachers who teach little kids and some work in day care, a lot of personel care aids are gay. They are not all interior decorators or travel agents or work in motels or beauty shops.. They are employed in every type of profession and every walk of life, the majority of people would never know that the doctor they go to or the teacher that teaches your child is gay, most do not walk around looking gay whatever that is. I know some gay people who look gay and I know a lot of straight people that look and talk gay. I was not born with the right to judge others for being gay anymore than I was born with the right to judge others for being white, black or brown, female or male. Finding a place that has few gays might be harder than you think, what are you afraid of?

Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 AM

622 posts, read 2,705,704 times
thanks, mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Most of the people who posted here would have no clue if someone is gay, most gays that I have known and I have known and know a lot you could not tell, some of my friends play baseball, football, drive trucks and horrors one is a doctor and a few are nurses, some are school teachers who teach little kids and some work in day care, a lot of personel care aids are gay. They are not all interior decorators or travel agents or work in motels or beauty shops.. They are employed in every type of profession and every walk of life, the majority of people would never know that the doctor they go to or the teacher that teaches your child is gay, most do not walk around looking gay whatever that is. I know some gay people who look gay and I know a lot of straight people that look and talk gay. I was not born with the right to judge others for being gay anymore than I was born with the right to judge others for being white, black or brown, female or male. Finding a place that has few gays might be harder than you think, what are you afraid of?
you are preaching to the choir. i've probably made that statement lots of times to others.

a few cultural anthropology classes really opened my mind. i love studying cultures. one thing i learned is that it is human nature to form cultures and subcultures, there is nothing wrong with that, it keeps people united. we studied the similarities among gay people. we studies the similarites among women. among races. among metal heads. you name it. there are established fields of study dedicated to this stuff.

there is a fine line between being judgemental and being honest about people's differences. it is different for one to make sweeping generalizations about a culture (i.e. all gays make bad neighbors) than it is to simply state that you would prefer to be among others like yourself, among your own culture... which is human nature.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:59 AM

628 posts, read 694,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by first View Post
Can anyone give names of places with a low gay population?
[b]

How can you distinguish who is gay? People are people Many of my co-workers are gay--I love them no less than I do my friends who are not gay. I am not gay--I would not miss the Pride Parade every year. Do not judge, or you too will be judged.......

Last edited by MegaJoy; 10-25-2006 at 01:09 AM..

Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 AM

622 posts, read 2,705,704 times
How about this question:

"Can anyone give names of places in Utah with a low polygamy population?"

I bet if someone asked that question it wouldn't be a big deal. Polygamy is a sexual choice made by many and misunderstood/hated by many more. Can you understand why someone who didn't agree with the moral choices that polygamy represents wouldn't want to live there? It's the same thing. I may not have the same moral concepts as the original poster here, but First should be able to ask this question without being bashed. Just because your or my beliefs are different does not give us a right to harp on him/her. If this person had posted this as a debate issue on gay rights, well then it would be fair game.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM

148 posts, read 417,820 times

one of the other threads was a request for jewish communities, it got 73 views and only 4 replies, all helpful. Poor First gets 4,635 views, 73 replies and not much help, seems like lots of people want to know where to move to but no one can tell them where to go!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM

919 posts, read 1,905,559 times
utah shuns polygamy, so does the church. gays are shuned inother cultures, other countries, its not allowed. and yes you can tell gay after awhile, it comes out, same as politics, drug use, etc. can you tell which way my politics lean? and you havent even met me be nice!

Old 10-28-2006, 11:41 PM

328 posts, read 239,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe everyone should be treated with respect no matter what they believe.
I am a Christian and do not agree with the gay lifestyle, but I would NEVER hold it against someone, be mean to them because of it or not be friends with them, in fact I DO have gay friends, we don't believe the same things but that does not mean we can't be friends and enjoy each others company.
Ditto...some of my very best friends in the world are gay...I don't agree with a lot of things, but everyone is equal to me and let's respect each other.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,432,847 times
I truly believe that as our Liberal media and entertainment pushes itself even further to the left that you'll see even MORE of a breakdown of the "anti-gay" Conservative mindsets and more people willing to view people of different sexual orientations as cultural equals.

For example, imagine my surprise last night on "Brothers & Sisters" to see Sally Fields's gay lawyer son making out and/or slow-dancing approximately three or four times with his newfound waiter boyfriend throughout the episode! It's times like this that I'm envious of the gays who live in Southern California for living in such a tolerant, permissive area; people here in Scranton would give my ex and I dirty looks just when we would go to restaurants and I would say "he's on my tab." I think part of it has to do with advanced education too; most U.S. college campuses (with the exception of my own as luck would have it), are very far to the "left" politically, and they often churn out graduates who are intelligent enough to realize that they are indeed no "better" than anyone else just because of something as superficial as sexual orientation, religious beliefs, or ethnicity. Here in Scranton, it seems as if quite literally none of the adults have finished high school, let alone college, so the odds that they were immersed in a more "tolerant" environment amongst people of various backgrounds (especially the ones from NYC/NJ who flood our local colleges), is quite slim. Therefore, many of them have never been exposed to anything other than that SWASP (Straight, White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant) demographic and are quite literally fearful of anyone else who doesn't conform to those boundaries.

Hopefully someday as the New Yorkers continue to flood into Scranton and "Manhattanize" it, there will be a time when I can at least date someone without getting dirty glares from others in romantic restaurants.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:05 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,637,017 times
Thumbs up Cahpsuth! You are the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth View Post

one of the other threads was a request for jewish communities, it got 73 views and only 4 replies, all helpful. Poor First gets 4,635 views, 73 replies and not much help, seems like lots of people want to know where to move to but no one can tell them where to go!

ROFLROFLROFL

Thanks Cahpsuth for rolling the answer to this thread into a nice neat little ball!

Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,703,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
I think the OP just wants to avoid areas like the village, Provincetown, Cherry Grove, etc. I would do the same. What straight man wants to live in the middle of a bunch of gay people? I feel the same way about living in an all minority area. "OH GOSH" the nimby liberals will say, yet how many of them are living in minority areas? Somewhere between a few, and none. They just don't say they are avoiding a high minority area. They use terms like "lower crime" and "better schools", but they'll never actually come out and say "I don't want my kids going to school in a school thats 90% black".

Rather than bash the man for his question, RESPECT IT. In today's day and age with everyone suppressing their feelings, you never know what people are thinking. He doesn't like gays, so what? When did we lose the priveledge of preference in this country? As long as he treats gays with respect when he DOES have dealings with them, what's wrong? I'm a straight, married man with two children. I don't particularly care for homosexuals in large doses either. I work with gay people, I have family that is gay, all of that is fine with me. I'm just not moving to Provincetown anytime in this lifetime.
Preach on Brother.

You got it about right.

What straight man wants to live in the middle of a bunch of gay people? Answer about none.

This gets presented as one gay male moving in next door to you. Not what usually happens. There is usually at least two. Then there is a flock. In fact gays are far more able to sustain themselves in this high priced housing markets.

Usually there is no childern involved and they can have many incomes. A bunch of my old gay neighbors rented out rooms with roommates. One or two would get together buy the place and get others to pay the monthly freight. You could have tons of adults, usually with cars in a house designed for maybe one parking spot. Of course when they get the natural resistance to that type lifestyle it is screamed that discrimination is occuring but hey, you are trying to run a boarding house. The women could have 7 - 9 in one house with all the bickering and such that goes on. Real joys to be around. They really do not get along that well with each other.

Plus you can add to this list a bit.

Never again, in a neighborhood where lots of people are up to their eyeballs in debt. Lots of unintended consequences. They are unhappy campers. Nothing you can do to help them. Every month it will be the same. Again tough to be around and I just made the mistake of being close enough to their house.

Couple that with various type people who are either chemically dependent, in some type of failure mode or assisting or abetting them. The worse are those heroin types. Don't ever believe them if they say they are cured. You don't even want to know some of the stories.

What is wrong with wanting to live around other people who are "Half-Ways Normal and just have to tolerate normal behaviors from them???

Usually it is zero to do with Sex, least with anything to do with me. A whole lot to do with Ego, Disfunctional Behavior, Money (or the lack thereof) and thinking somehow I am their Keeper. Probably others I could add to that list.

Maybe like this:

Where are the areas with low gay populations, low drug activity, low crime, fully solvent people who are not in some crisis as a normal way of life and are not Bible Thumpers who want to convert me to some brand of religion or fever?????????????

When all else fails I just want to live around others who won't try to blame me for whatever is wrong with them.

I got zero to learn from any of those type people. Been there, done that, so very easy to say never again. And I do not want to hear how, others of those various stripes are so different.

They are all the same in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.