Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 AM

19 posts, read 98,589 times

Advertisements

Seems straight folks are supposed to be "tough" and tolerate living in a high gay/diverse area according to the "Progressives". I live on the north side in mpls, considered a ghetto by minneapolis standards and a bad neighborhood area by Minnesota standards. Don't like living with the everyday noise, litter and generally loud attitudes and so have mentioned wanting to get out and get sort of a "oh, are you too tender to live here, poor baby" or "you sellout"! Same also with the hip and trendy south side. Do not know of any well known/recognized gay neighborhoods but then there are those who will go both ways and then deny being gay.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Wow..................................

Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
This gets presented as one gay male moving in next door to you. Not what usually happens. There is usually at least two. Then there is a flock. In fact gays are far more able to sustain themselves in this high priced housing markets.

Usually there is no childern involved and they can have many incomes. A bunch of my old gay neighbors rented out rooms with roommates. One or two would get together buy the place and get others to pay the monthly freight. You could have tons of adults, usually with cars in a house designed for maybe one parking spot. Of course when they get the natural resistance to that type lifestyle it is screamed that discrimination is occuring but hey, you are trying to run a boarding house. The women could have 7 - 9 in one house with all the bickering and such that goes on. Real joys to be around. They really do not get along that well with each other.
Holy crap, this has nothing to do with gays...this can describe just about any group of unmarried/uncoupled people if you think about it. I've seen houses filled with college students....or with young recent graduates out on their own for the first time. Or perhaps groups of immigrants,even. Most of the gay adults I know do in fact live 1-2 in a home. Most of the houses anywhere near me filled with more than 3 non-related people are either college kids or hetero bachelors who haven't been out of college for long. You're trying to tag a stereotype on gays based on some extreme examples!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Holy crap, this has nothing to do with gays...this can describe just about any group of unmarried/uncoupled people if you think about it. I've seen houses filled with college students....or with young recent graduates out on their own for the first time. Or perhaps groups of immigrants,even. Most of the gay adults I know do in fact live 1-2 in a home. Most of the houses anywhere near me filled with more than 3 non-related people are either college kids or hetero bachelors who haven't been out of college for long. You're trying to tag a stereotype on gays based on some extreme examples!
Yeah, I knew I missed a few groups in there, thanks for reminding me. Yep, I also don't want no students in large groups either. The thrill is gone after dodging so much barf on the streets of Brighton.

No, them gays are definitely different. You don't have to figure out which is the girl with students or married people. Or which one will not shovel snow or cut the grass and which is the hunky buddy and all the rest of that sorry jive. Sorry, once you really have the experience, I just ain't signing up again.

Anybody else can do as they wish. They can exclude all groups, some groups or no groups, or whatever. As they say it is a free planet. My list doesn't have to be yours and unlike all those pushing an agenda, I don't even demand you follow my lead.

So I guess my revised original question might be:

Where are the areas with low gay populations, low drug activity, low crime, no student frat houses, no swinging party dudes pads, fully solvent people who are not in some crisis as a normal way of life and are not Bible Thumpers who want to convert me to some brand of religion or fever?????????????

I make zero apologies for never wanting to live next to anyone on that list. I am sure there are others I missed. Keep them coming.

Really don't like those who continuously borrow stuff and I must go chase it down either. I am not some warehouse or hardware store.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
cosmic, though i do respect the original poster's question and agree that he/she is not necessarily sterotyping others, along with the idea that it is OK to admit that people have differences and our current society has gone too far with the concept of political correctness...

...i find many of your statements to go beyond merely accepting differences and into the realm of stereotyping. though it is one thing to accept that we are all different (and equal), it is another to lump people together with sweeping generalizations and label others before you get to know them.

IMO, neither of these concepts (being too politically correct as well as stereotyping) promotes a positive society.

but, we can agree to disagree. thats the beauty of a free country.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 PM

201 posts, read 860,876 times
But seriously, even in Topeka and under the influence of the amazing (NOT!!!) teachings of Fred Phelps, you will still find gay people. They may be closeted but they are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelia View Post
Places with a low gay population? I would suggest you move to Topeka, Kansas and attend services regularly at the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 273,407 times
Lightbulb Gays & lesbians

If you really must know, you can go to (broken link) they have a Gays & lesbians index for every town.

Last edited by Yac; 11-03-2006 at 02:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
I think its gross too, but let'em be. Do you honestly think they WANT to be that way?
I nearly shed a tear while reading that phrase, as you're probably the FIRST person I've ever come across who just summed up the way I've felt about myself for my entire life. Thank you very much for your understanding! Why in God's name would anyone WANT to subject themselves to a life of being viewed by many fellow Americans as being "inferior", "unclean", and "morally reprehensible?"

Believe me, I even lead a girl on for nearly a year in a high school relationship that I knew would ultimately end in disaster just to see if I could "change myself", as well as please my parents in their incessant nagging for me to secure a girlfriend. No matter how much I tried to fall in love with this girl, I still felt like we were nothing more than just good friends. I had no sexual attraction to her whatsoever, and any thought of intimacy with her terrified me! Comparatively speaking, I'm sure a heterosexual male would be just as terrified and uninterested in being intimately-related with a member of the same sex as I am with the opposite sex. My guilt about this relationship was incessant; I even spent $300 on her on Valentine's Day on a fancy meal at one of Scranton's tonier restaurants, Godiva chocolates, roses, a movie, etc. just to assuage the pain I was feeling inside for leading her on in love with me just to appease my parents.

Then again, I suppose straight people would prefer that all gay males would "go back in the closet" and begin dating single women, allowing them to fall in love with them while the males had no attraction for them whatsoever. The pain that poor girl must have felt inside when she found out I was gay must have been insurmountable! Do you really want millions of other men to do the same, ruining the hearts of millions of women just to make you straights happier? Personally, I don't know what beef staight guys have with gay guys---Aren't we doing you all a service by broadening the dating pool for YOU by dating each other? If anything, you'd suspect that straight women would abhor gay men for stealing away potential boyfriends, yet just the opposite occurs---Straight women love me while straight men hate me! Why? Believe me, while the stereotype is that all gay males are sexually indecent, the furthest thing on my mind is overpowering and sodomizing a straight guy, so there's not any reason to worry about that! Sheesh! Talk about insecurity!

Let me pose you all with a scenario. Suppose God came down to Earth tomorrow and asked 1/5 of all straight males on Earth to become gay to help curtail world overpopulation. How many of you supposedly "God-fearing Republican right-wing Conservatives" would be able to instantly change your sexual orientations and view someone such as myself in a romantic light? Don't you think the same can be said for people in my position? I'm under the impression right now that God wants me to be straight, but I've found it impossible to become attracted to women, even with counseling! What makes you Republicans so sure that changing one's sexual orientation is as simple as changing the batteries in your smoke detector? Furthermore, what gives any of you the right to judge others for their sinful yet harmless behaviors? Just because you find it appalling doesn't mean that it's illegal! Why don't you leave the sentencing for GOD on Judgment Day? If God is going to condemn me to hell for being unable to conform to what society wants me to be, then I'll accept my fate; It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS otherwise to be legislating how I should or should not be allowed to live my romantic life!

I feel as if this whole "anti-gay witch hunt" of sorts if just a last ditch effort by Republicans to salvage their Congressional domination just before Election Day. Since they know that they can't portray the War in Iraq or the economy in a very rosy picture, they instead turn to the "If you elect democrats, they'll let gays get married; just look at Jersey!" scare tactics to reconnect with their Conservative base! Unfortunately, there are enough morons in this country who vote solely on the "gay issue" while ignoring foreign affairs, economic policy, etc. to probably win victory once again for the Republican majority in both the House and Senate, at which point I'll consider relocation to Ontario, where people seem to care less about who you love and more about what you can contribute to society!

Here I am on my 20th birthday crying my eyes out because I'm already having a mid-life crisis---Do I make another girl miserable and make myself guilt-stricken just to please my family and the rest of the nation, or do I follow my heart and condemn myself to hell?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 PM

71 posts, read 272,809 times
Dam* Scranton. You need to get yourself to Los Angeles, stat. Start packing now and just go. Life is too short. Go live a little.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM

71 posts, read 272,809 times
and happy birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies