Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I wonder what happened today? Obviously Obama was ready to give anything away if only Hassan Rouhani would shake his hand today, the news networks were all set to broadcast the "historic handshake". And he blew Obama off. Shows what the Iranians think of our fearless leader.
We have a President that appears to think Iran can give him his "legacy" - the Sun is a different color in ObamaLand. There is no greater indication of how bad things are with our entire Foreign Policy than for the US President to feel that Iran is his ticket to greatness.

Quote:
Obama turns to Iran for an elusive second-term victory - The Hill
Experts on Tuesday promised Iran would be a difficult negotiating partner, and lawmakers from both parties have warned Obama that the softer rhetoric from Iran’s new president could be a trap.
Yet Obama might believe he has a better chance at securing a legacy-defining breakthrough on the international stage, even if it means trusting new Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.
Read the reports of Obama's speech at the UN ..... it was a total rambling muddle. Embarrassing.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We have a President that appears to think Iran can give him his "legacy" - the Sun is a different color in ObamaLand. There is no greater indication of how bad things are with our entire Foreign Policy than for the US President to feel that Iran is his ticket to greatness.
Well, he could stand something to redeem him after going neocon on Syria. Normalization with Iran and Cuba might do it for him.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Well, he could stand something to redeem him after going neocon on Syria. Normalization with Iran and Cuba might do it for him.
I don't know how we are ever going to normalize relations with the mullahs in Iran, but Cuba in our own backyard would be a good place to start.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Israel will howl, but they need to get used to the idea of the US being friendly with a Muslim nation that isn't Egypt.
*cough* Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

If we work out a deal where we stop messing with Iran and Israel and Iran stop messing with each other....it's a huge win for all of the involved nations.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*cough* Saudi Arabia.
My point about Israel potentially complicating efforts to normalize relations with Iran is valid, and it stands.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't know how we are ever going to normalize relations with the mullahs in Iran, but Cuba in our own backyard would be a good place to start.
It will eventually happen but I don't think the bad blood with Cuba is completely one-sided. Plus the US still makes a great boogeyman for Cuban economic problems and they are in the midst of painful reforms.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My point about Israel potentially complicating efforts to normalize relations with Iran is valid, and it stands.
I don't disagree with your clarified wording. Your initial post made it sound like Israel just doesn't want the US to be cozy with any muslim nations but Egypt.

Actually, I think Saudi Arabia may have as much or more potential complication than Israel since they are a bitter rival of Iran and Iran has struck at them covertly as well as funding groups like Hezbollah. Of course Israel and the Sauds aren't innocent either.

IF they can break Iran away from the Russians and Chinese and draw them into some sort of co-existance with the other big powers in the middle east (Israel and SA) that would be an enormous coup.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with your clarified wording. Your initial post made it sound like Israel just doesn't want the US to be cozy with any muslim nations but Egypt.

Actually, I think Saudi Arabia may have as much or more potential complication than Israel since they are a bitter rival of Iran and Iran has struck at them covertly as well as funding groups like Hezbollah. Of course Israel and the Sauds aren't innocent either.

IF they can break Iran away from the Russians and Chinese and draw them into some sort of co-existance with the other big powers in the middle east (Israel and SA) that would be an enormous coup.
Don't hold your breath for that to happen with any degree of authenticity. They might like you to believe that is possible but it will take another 50 years of strife before that comes about in any tangible form.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
It will eventually happen but I don't think the bad blood with Cuba is completely one-sided. Plus the US still makes a great boogeyman for Cuban economic problems and they are in the midst of painful reforms.
Considering the amount of money you've written off in Iraq and Afghanistan, you could have bought Cuba outright and sublet it to Costa Rica, Haiti & Jamaica. You could have bought every cuban taxi driver a new Chevy and asked them to export all their old 50's stuff for our car collectors to grab up and restore.

A thriving industry was formed overnight in scavenging all the old 6 volt generators and points based voltage regulators from wrecking yards all over Canada to package them up and send them by ship down there.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
You people are a bunch of sheep. Iran is trying to by time while they build their nuclear weapons, once they achieve that, they will tell the U.S. to kiss their ass. Just like North Korea, Russia, and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies