Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
There is no justification for the federal govt's intrusion into people's lives.

Dems are crazy control freaks.
This is not a D or R thing. Both parties have an atrocious record promoting big government and shredding civil liberties over the past couple of decades. Pretending that only one side does it will not solve the problem. So many republicans remained as quiet as a mouse when GW was wiping his butt with the constitution. Now that Obama is in office they've suddenly regained their patriotic sense of duty. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
In Obama's term his watch, the IRS stiffled the tea party to get Obama elected . Obama knew about it..and did nothing..Obama is a dictator to use government power to get elected... His second term is a fraud on the people.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This is not a D or R thing. Both parties have an atrocious record promoting big government and shredding civil liberties over the past couple of decades. Pretending that only one side does it will not solve the problem. So many republicans remained as quiet as a mouse when GW was wiping his butt with the constitution. Now that Obama is in office they've suddenly regained their patriotic sense of duty. Pathetic.
Of course it is. You obviously did not look at the graphs. The majority of democrats unlike the rest of society have no problem with government tyranny.
In fact they support it.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Has anyone read "Government Bullies" by Rand Paul?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Republicans love big gubbermint except when there is a Democrat in the Whitehouse. Ever met a Republican who wasn't on Medicare, Tricare, VA, gubbermint pension, or gubbermint disability.? If you ever find a double or triple dipper its going to be a Republican. Then there all the Red states that love their Snap and EIC. I haven't mentioned the Defense Department and all the wars and Homeland Security, NSA, Border Patrol.. .all brought to you by the small gubbermint Republicans.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
What this poll really says is that four out of 10 Americans are paying virtually no attention to what is going on in the U.S. right now.
Quoted for truth

Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
“Six in 10 Americans believe the federal government has too much power, one percentage point above the previous high recorded in September 2010,†according to a new survey by Gallup. That’s up from 39 percent in 2003 and 56 percent in 2008. The year-long upward shift is powered by post-election worries among President Barack Obama’s Democratic and independent supporters, amid news reports about drone strikes, surveillance of the media, Obamacare’s data collection, IRS pressure on political groups and the National Security Agency’s far-reaching anti-jihadi surveillance."

Public worry about government power hits record high | The Daily Caller

And here are the actual survey results:

Americans' Belief That Gov't Is Too Powerful at Record Level

I'm thinking a person with Libertarian leanings might mine this for a win in 2016. I certainly expect them to do better than 2012.
Or 2008, or 2004, or 2000, or..............
Not gonna happen for one simple fact; Libertarians do have some good ideas but their bad ideas outweigh them.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm interested to hear what Big Government Liberals on this forum have to say about this. My guess is that they avoid this thread altogether.
I always vote democrat. But in reality I would call myself in the middle politically, and I have learned in life that both sides have important and needed ideas.

A few years ago my stepfather passed out at the kitchen table and we all thought he was having a heart attack. It took around 15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive, and waiting for that ambulance was one of the most scary, horrible, and helpless moments I have ever had in my life. After I learned my stepfather was ok I went outside, I thought about that wait for the ambulance and I wanted a country where an ambulance would arrive much sooner.

Point is we live in a country that could be 100x more advanced, 100x more happy, and 100x more healthy.

Examples,

Today there are new medical machines that only a few hospitals can afford, but if all hospitals had these machines huge numbers of Americans lives would be saved. And I want a government so big that it will buy these machines for every hospital.

People in certain countries in Asia do not get cancer from smoking cigarettes. Scientists believe this comes from drinking green tea and eating certain foods. And I want a government so big that it finances 10,000 studies to learn how to stop Americans from getting lung cancer. Then huge numbers of Americans and their families will not suffer from the horrible death of this disease.

There are also certain vitamins and foods that stop other kinds of cancers and heart disease. And I want a government so big that it will research on how to save huge numbers of Americans who die from these diseases.

Doctors are over prescribing antibiotics and creating new super germs that antibiotics can't kill. I want a government so big and powerful that it will educate and stop doctors from creating these super germs.

This planet is also in danger from being hit by a large asteroid at any moment, and this asteroid could kill all life on Earth. And I want a government so big that it will take massive steps, to insure the survival of our people, animals, plants, history, and technology in an event like this.

And when our family members have a heart attack, I want a government so big that an ambulance arrives at our house in 4 minutes (give this job to someone on welfare.)

And the above list could go on and on. And our present government is not even doing 1/100 of what it could be doing to protect us from these horrible and unnecessary things.

But I don't want a wasteful government, I don't want an inefficient government, and I don't want people not working. I just want a government that is equal with our technology, compassion, and dreams.

And its ironic but these ideas come from both liberal and conservative ideas.

Last edited by chad3; 09-24-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I always vote democrat. But in reality I would call myself in the middle politically, and I have learned in life that both sides have important and needed ideas.

A few years ago my stepfather passed out at the kitchen table and we all thought he was having a heart attack. That 15 minutes that it took for the ambulance to arrive was one of the most scary, horrible, and helpless moments I have ever had in my life. And after I learned my stepfather was ok I went outside, I thought about that 15 wait for the ambulance and I wanted a country where an ambulance would arrive at our houses in 4 minutes.

Point is we live in a country that could be 100x more advanced, 100x more happy, and 100x more healthy.

Examples,

Today there are new medical machines that only a few hospitals can afford, but if all hospitals had these machines huge numbers of Americans lives would be saved. And I want a government so big that it will buy these machines for every hospital.

People in certain countries in Asia do not get cancer from smoking cigarettes. Scientists believe this comes from drinking green tea and eating certain foods. And I want a government so big that it finances 10,000 studies to learn how to stop Americans from getting lung cancer. Then huge numbers of Americans and their families will not suffer from the horrible death of this disease.

There are also certain vitamins and foods that stop other kinds of cancers and heart disease. And I want a government so big that it will research on how to save huge numbers of Americans who die from these diseases.

Doctors are over prescribing antibiotics and creating new super germs that antibiotics can't kill. I want a government so big and powerful that it will educate and stop doctors from creating these super germs.

This planet is also in danger from being hit by a large asteroid at any moment, and this asteroid could kill all life on Earth. And I want a government so big that it will take massive steps, to insure the survival of our people, animals, plants, history, and technology in an event like this.

And when our family members have a heart attack, I want a government so big that an ambulance arrives at our house in 4 minutes (give this job to someone on welfare.)

And the above list could go on and on. And our present government is not even doing 1/100 of what it could be doing to protect us from these horrible and unnecessary things.

And its ironic but these ideas come from both liberal and conservative ideas.
Many privately fund all of the above...Do you really trust our government to think they will give all the answers to everyone..

the government has done experiments on people without their consent ..

Unethical human experimentation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many privately fund all of the above...Do you really trust our government to think they will give all the answers to everyone..

the government has done experiments on people without their consent ..

Unethical human experimentation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
True and private enterprise does things for us that government could never do. But government does things that private enterprise can't do like building highways, dams, military defense, space programs, disease control, research, ex.ex..

And private enterprise needs help from government sometimes, like when our government helped give everyone electricity, gas, telephones, and water in the past.

But your post has showed me that government needs to be closely watched.

Last edited by chad3; 09-24-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies