Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Israel had a problem with terrorist attacks. Most of the attackers came from the Palestinian Territories. They put up a wall restricting the movement of Palestinians into Israel. The vast majority of Palestinians had no desire to be suicide bombers but Israel blocks their entry nonetheless. Terrorist attacks plummet to such a degree in Israel that the USA in recent years probably has had more attacks.

Basic common sense can solve most problems. Ban Somali migrants into America, it really isn't that difficult.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No, but the point is, no one is ever sure of who is a terrorist or who will become one. So to base it on race, religion, or any other sort of outwardly known characteristic is foolish.

FYI, I'm not a liberal so don't know if you are aiming that comment at me. I have (insert my name) logic
No actually it is not. If a threat arises from a common group of people you don't wait until a sufficient majority of the group acts before you react. That's just suicidal. The goal is risk mitigation and even elimination. The Israelis have shown the world how effective counterterrorism looks like best we follow their lead.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Has been going on since the end of WW2.

By different types do you mean different from you?
No different types of refugees!! Political, climate/environmental, economic, etc.

You get hostile and don't even understand what you are reading.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Yes, but has always been limited, at least in years prior to the 1980s. The myth that the US always had it's door wide open is just that, a myth. Truth is, for most of its existence the US had immigration restrictions in place, opening the doors only when it suited the needs of the nation. That for the most part changed in 1965, and got dramatically worse in the 1980s with the first amnesty. Even back in the turn of the 19th century there was extreme concern about radicalized immigrants and measures taken to stop them. Look at the anarchist movements from Italy in the 1890s, or the communists from the Balkins in the 1900s. Every time the government took measures to keep people out that they perceived as anti-American or otherwise a danger. It's only in the era of political correctness has national self interest become "racist" or otherwise frown upon.
Half of Ellis Island arrivees were turned back. The notion that Somalis have some fundamental right to migrate here is a gross distortion of the Constitution, our history and common sense.

Frankly I'd ban all Muslims from migrating here but we can start with Somalia and Pakistan.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It is one thing to offer refuge to those who can make it to our shores through their own volition, quite another to scour refugee camps around the globe to import people who haven't expressed a desire to come to USA. In many cases they have never even heard about the USA.
I agree with this. I do actually feel that refugees should want to come to this country.

Through my work of late, I actually am working more with the refugee community and here in Atlanta metro we have a pretty large population of Somali refugees and have had them for some time now and haven't had any sort of terrorism issues with them.

Most of the people I have interacted with did want to come to the US. So maybe that is the difference. I don't think there are many people around the world who haven't heard of our country, but if they have a negative view of us, then I don't think they should be offered the opportunity. There are way more refugees who would jump at the opportunity to come.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Wednesday, 10 October 2012 15:09 Lewiston, Maine, Mayor Rebuked for Advising Somalis to Assimilate
Lewiston, Maine, Mayor Rebuked for Advising Somalis to Assimilate
Just another episode in the ongoing story of American suicide.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I don't want illegals from Latin America or Somalis coming here who can't prove that they can support themselves.
Too many of them slipping through the cracks. Just like the Boston Bombers, Russian Mafia, or Middle Eastern Mulas that we allow in. What is Homeland security and all of the other Government LE agencies doing about it?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No actually it is not. If a threat arises from a common group of people you don't wait until a sufficient majority of the group acts before you react. That's just suicidal. The goal is risk mitigation and even elimination. The Israelis have shown the world how effective counterterrorism looks like best we follow their lead.
We are speaking in this thread specifically of Somali terrorist. Are you saying that since there were 3 Somali-Americans involved in an attack overseas that we should place restrictions on Somali refugees from entering the country?

That was my point in regards to refugees.

And if we take your example at face value, then we should heavily restrict men in general, since men commit overwhelmingly the number of crimes versus women. There were no women at all involved in this terroristic act. The world would be a much safer place if we women built a wall around all men, only keeping them around to extract their sperm to make babies (which we would do using IUI - intrauterine insemination)and we would only keep a statistically necessary amount of boy babies in the future to be added to the walled community in order to ensure no genetic abnormalities arise with future offspring.

See how crazy that sounds!! That is how what you said comes across to me.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
President Kennedy closed the doors. Unless you had something to offer our Country, a degree, a profession, a skill, you count not come in. he died. Lyndon B Johnson re-opened the doors, we can thank him for that.

The other day, driving on 4th Ave in Brooklyn, I see a Mexican lady, she looked a bit "off", walking down the Ave, clothes all mismatched holding a McDonalds cup, she then throws the cup right in the street and keeps walking.

I say to myself. Is the type person I want in my country? We all know she is no rocket scientist, is on welfare, food stamps medicaid and the whole 9 yards. Yes, I love working a full week for to pay for her benefits. So this is what we let in our Country. Sure come here we will feed you, clothe you and house you, give you medical benefits, sure, bring you whole family, and feel free to have 12 kids, no problem.

Is there something wrong with our Country? After 911, our doors should have been bolted from the inside. NO, you can't come here, stay in your own country.

No, were not helping you, help your own Country. We can't even take care of our own people here.

So sure, send all the Somalians here, we will take care of them too....

WTF is wrong with our Government???

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 AM

109 posts, read 168,146 times
90 percent unemployment rate here in MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies