Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM

114 posts, read 137,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Not sure how you "debunk" a science fiction film. Did someone also debunk Star Wars? Or is the Death Star really out there?

Sure the movie was grossly related to the global warming agenda, and I thought it was flat out ridiculous how much they tried to tie the political aspects to current events. But even at that, its a fiction film, which makes it impossible to debunk unless they ran statements before or after the film presented as facts to the viewers. Then it would be fine to shred away.
Unfortunately some many people believe anything they see in a movie. So it is still worth the effort to debunk it.

'Day After Tomorrow': A lot of hot air (Patrick J. Michaels, Ph.D. Ecological Climatology, USA Today)
Disaster Flick Exaggerates Speed Of Ice Age (Science Daily)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I haven't seen anybody that claims that humans are the sole cause of global warming as you stated. Could you provide your source?

What they are claiming that humans do play a significant role.

Poptech claims that all the scientists at IPCC and most of the other major scientific organizations are being alarmist because that is what they believe...like Evangelists believing something, I think was his example.
But they back up their beliefs with scientific research. That is the difference. Sure there is room for discussion and debate, that is the beauty of science. Forget your personal hatred of Al Gore and the United Nations and Hollywood. Let that go.

How/Why do you justify your position that all the scientists with legitimate scientific research pointing to humans playing a role in global warming are "eco- freak alarmists", while any scientist that contends it is conversely the voice of rationality and reason? That is just being biased for political reasons. Show me a single politician from any country anywhere in the world that is deliberately trying to increase the eco-alarmism. Give one example. Even the Bush Administration calls the IPCC report "sound science" and acknowledges humans are playing a role in global warming. Is the Bush administration now contributing to the alarmism?

Maybe Kyoto does not have all the answers. But is to just do nothing the only alternative?
Have you seen Al Gore's film? Any one of his followers believe the same thing. What they are claiming is humans are THE cause of the current global warming and it will lead to doomsday.

Those scientists back up their beliefs with Computer Modeling. I believe some of these scientists are honest but completely computer illiterate. I have met many working in the field. All the so called proof is based on computer modeling using incomplete, biased or non existent data coupled with poorly understood systems filled with guesses and assumptions.

Here is one politician = Al Gore.
Here is another = Robert F. Kennedy Jr,

Bush has the lowest approval ratings of his career for a reason.

Yes do nothing is the answer since there is nothing we can do to control the Sun's energy output or adjust the planet's orbit and nothing catastrophic will happen. Whatever Naturally happens we will easily adapt to it as we always have.

Do me a favor and lay a nickel flat on the desk. Look at the thickness of the nickel - that is how much sea-level rises every year, yawn.

Global mean sea level rise is in the range of 1.0 to 2.0 mm/yr. (Based on tidal gauge data) (IPCC)

No significant acceleration in the rate of sea level rise during the 20th century has been detected. (IPCC)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM

66 posts, read 320,111 times
Default Scientific arrogance is sometimes amazing

There are some great minds looking at this question. And some good statistical relationships have been established.

But there are almost an infinite number of variables.

One of the variables I just learned about recently is that the Moon's gravitational pull is the only thing that keeps the earth from tilting to a much larger degree than it does now with the seasons.

Can you imagine if the Moon wasn't there and all of a sudden, the South Pole was facing the Sun directly -the way the equator does now?

CO2 gases or not, the seas will rise when that happens!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Poptech you are not addressing my question. I don't care about Al Gore or his movie. Can you stop getting into Al Gore, for just a moment...I care about what the majority of the scientific organizations around the globe are telling us. If you are going to quote the IPCC then how about quoting their findings that humans do play a role.
I don't know poptech, you seem awful cavalier about dismissing all of these people's work. Honestly, calling all of these scientists computer illiterate seems uncalled for. Maybe you are a scientific genius that I am not aware of, or maybe you are just a guy that spends all day trolling for links that put down Al Gore. I will never know. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Brazil is "suspicious", but not to the extent that she becomes reluctant to cash the checks she receives.

Come back when some action is actually taken. Until then, expect "the world's lungs" (the rain forest) to continue to shrink alarmingly.
Rainforest - Amazon Forest Shows Unexpected Resiliency During Drought (Science Daily)
Rainforest - Amazon Rainforest Greens Up In The Dry Season (Science Daily)
Rainforest - Impact From Rainforest Greenhouse Gasses May Not Be As Great As Thought, Study Shows (Science Daily)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Poptech you are not addressing my question. I don't care about Al Gore or his movie. Can you stop getting into Al Gore, for just a moment...I care about what the majority of the scientific organizations around the globe are telling us. If you are going to quote the IPCC then how about quoting their findings that humans do play a role.
I don't know poptech, you seem awful cavalier about dismissing all of these people's work. Honestly, calling all of these scientists computer illiterate seems uncalled for. Maybe you are a scientific genius that I am not aware of, or maybe you are just a guy that spends all day trolling for links that put down Al Gore. I will never know. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Do you have any concept of how computers or computer modeling works? I do, I do this for a living and I have read the reports. They have no evidence outside of computer models that Humans play a role in climate change. CAN YOU NOT COMPREHEND THIS? Anyone who believes computer models can predict the future 50 years from now is a computer illiterate. Sorry but that is the reality. These are scientists NOT computer experts and they are NOT being honest about the computer models, either because they want to believe what they do not understand or are simply incompetent about computers. I have met far too many Scientists who are completely clueless about how computers work. I am not dismissing the actual science verified via the scientific method. Again show me the science proven via the scientific method that humans are causing climate change.

Computer Illiterates believe anything on a computer because they do not understand them. I am a computer analyst and do this for a living. Don't be a fool

Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
First of all, consensus has nothing to do with science. Either you can prove it or not.

Even if this AGW theory would be true, theres not enough oil, coal etc to reach "the deadly" CO2 level.

YouTube - Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? - Pt 1 of 4=

four parts where Bob Carter explains why the AGW theory is just propaganda.

Gah stupid link

Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Here is the video:

Robert (Bob) M. Carter, B.Sc. Geology, Ph.D. Paleontology, University of Cambridge, Australia

Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? (1/4) (Video) (10min)

Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? (2/4) (Video) (9min)

Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? (3/4) (Video) (8min)

Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? (4/4) (Video) (10min)

Here is another:

Freeman Dyson, Professor Emeritus of Physics, Princeton University, USA

Freeman Dyson on Global Warming (1/2) (YouTube Video) (7min)

Freeman Dyson on Global Warming (2/2) (YouTube Video) (4min)

Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptech View Post
Do you have any concept of how computers or computer modeling works? I do, I do this for a living and I have read the reports. They have no evidence outside of computer models that Humans play a role in climate change. CAN YOU NOT COMPREHEND THIS? Anyone who believes computer models can predict the future 50 years from now is a computer illiterate. Sorry but that is the reality. These are scientists NOT computer experts and they are NOT being honest about the computer models, either because they want to believe what they do not understand or are simply incompetent about computers. I have met far too many Scientists who are completely clueless about how computers work. I am not dismissing the actual science verified via the scientific method. Again show me the science proven via the scientific method that humans are causing climate change.

Computer Illiterates believe anything on a computer because they do not understand them. I am a computer analyst and do this for a living. Don't be a fool

I will certainly try not to, poptech,,,you obviously know what you are talking about.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
As a programmer/analyst who works with chemists and biologists, I have to concur with Poptech's assessment. I told them up front that it was my job to ensure that they had access to their data, and to create and maintain repositories for their data, but the data itself was their responsibility. I have never seen such poor data quality in the 28 years I've been working with databases.

I try to explain to them that if they don't enter in correct information up front, they will end up having problems in the future, but they don't seem to care. For example, instead of collecting specific GIS information on the location of a spill or contaminated site, they enter the GIS information based on the centroid of the ZIP Code. Then wonder why 231 spills/contaminated sites show up on the exact same spot when plotted on a map.

These chemists and biologists may know a great deal about their specific profession, but as Poptech accurately stated, they are functionally computer illiterates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies