Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times

Advertisements

"I do support background checks so your mentally ill neighbor doesn't get to own one and restrictions on military grade weapons in the hands of civilians."

Oh, yeah, the much-touted "BACKGROUND CHECK went a LONG way in preventing the Navy Yard shooter from getting a shotgun, which he then apparently sawed off (that's ILLEGAL, by the way), and killing 12 people 2 days later

When did a Remington model 742 or a Browning automatic rifle become an "assault rifle" or "military grade weapon"? If the anti-gun-nuts get their way, they will soon be illegal in California. WHY, you may ask? Because they are auto-loading rifles that have a removable box magazine!
Exactly what IS a "military grade weapon"? Is the AR-15 one of that class? IMO, no, because the AR-15 was initially built as a CIVILIAN weapon, then made selectable fire for the military and called the M-16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,660,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He used his mother's gun, and he was not allowed to use that gun in any manner possible, certainly not to murder 26 people.

You are being disingenuous as well as unreasonable.
What existing law would have stopped him? My point is that perhaps no one needs the kind of guns he was using. You do not need an AR-15, and with a large magazine, to defend yourself. No one needs that kind of firepower. This is what I mean when I say the conversation cannot possibly be "guns / no guns." That will get us nowhere.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The problem is less the gun and more how this country reacts to a given issue.
We tend to go to extremes. Case in point are the links the OP posted.
The fact that the absolute vast majority of gun owners have never used their firearm to commit a crime is ignored.
On the other side you have the hardcore who fear any form of legislation.
There are gun nuts on both sides of the line.
Most rational gun owners don't fear back ground checks or registration. We are for harsh penalties for violations.
As to your point of thousands upon thousands of deaths and injuries every year.
If you separate the deaths/ injuries caused by guns purchased legally from those from illegal guns it would make the position more honest.
Further separate gun deaths from police shooting suspects and the data would be even more accurate.
I have asked many times and never get an answer. Why punish the absolute vast majority of gun owners for the actions of the very small minority?
There are far more automobile related injuries and deaths than those attributed to guns. Where is your morale outrage? Do you seek to deny every automobile owners rights based on the absolute minority? Remember like gun related deaths we wont filter the data, we'll only use the raw data.
American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015 - Bloomberg

Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
What existing law would have stopped him? .
None - that is the point.

What law stops anyone from doing anything?

Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
None - that is the point.

What law stops anyone from doing anything?

Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law.
And you cut the rest of my message. Thanks.

I can't disobey the law by purchasing a nuclear bomb because a nuclear bomb is not available for purchase.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,754,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"I do support background checks so your mentally ill neighbor doesn't get to own one and restrictions on military grade weapons in the hands of civilians."

Oh, yeah, the much-touted "BACKGROUND CHECK went a LONG way in preventing the Navy Yard shooter from getting a shotgun, which he then apparently sawed off (that's ILLEGAL, by the way), and killing 12 people 2 days later

When did a Remington model 742 or a Browning automatic rifle become an "assault rifle" or "military grade weapon"? If the anti-gun-nuts get their way, they will soon be illegal in California. WHY, you may ask? Because they are auto-loading rifles that have a removable box magazine!
Exactly what IS a "military grade weapon"? Is the AR-15 one of that class? IMO, no, because the AR-15 was initially built as a CIVILIAN weapon, then made selectable fire for the military and called the M-16.
That's the whole point of the thread. They are starting to become completely irrational and illogical with their fear of firearms.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
I can't disobey the law by purchasing a nuclear bomb because a nuclear bomb is not available for purchase.
No, but you can obtain the materials for making such a bomb, some easily and other with great difficulty(plutonium is hard, but not utterly impossible to get).

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...r-bomb/305402/

Your extreme example is irrelevant to the topic, since we are discussing firearms, and those are easily obtainable illegally by anyone who wishes to work outside the law.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
That's the whole point of the thread. They are starting to become completely irrational and illogical with their fear of firearms.
That's one way of looking at it. A completely different way of looking at it is: school administrators covering their own rear ends and not allowing a culture of gun violence to become normalized.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
And you cut the rest of my message. Thanks.

You can't purchase it because it's not available, or do you not have the money and connections to purchase it? To different things...

Old 09-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
That's one way of looking at it. A completely different way of looking at it is: school administrators covering their own rear ends and not allowing a culture of gun violence to become normalized.
It's the job of the school administrators to teach my child how to read, write, add, and subtract. It's the school administrators job to keep my children safe for actual harm. It IS NOT their job to impose their political or personal view on MY children, or to deny my child an education because of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies