Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
You need to take some reading comprehension classes or get your eyes checked because what we "insinuated" was that they do not work. The first thing you learn in 9th grade level English is that the main point of a paragraph is usually presented in the 1st or "topic sentence." My topic sentence was "Background checks will not keep the bad guys from getting guns."

Here are my supporting facts:
  1. A lot of the gun crime in Chicago involves people under the age of 21 who can lot legally own a gun, but still got one.
  2. Background checks and all these feel good laws are only going to be followed by those who aren't committing crimes.
They are not keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. That is a fact. That by no means suggests that I'm for or condone "any nut-cake" or felon being able to buy or own a gun. You all are so fixated and obsessed with background checks as if they're really stopping criminals from owning guns. Honestly, it does make it a tad bit more expensive and inconvenient for them, yes. Does it do anything more than that, no. Why be sooooo focused on something that makes little to no difference? I'll tell you why; it's because it makes you "feel" like it's actually doing something even when it's not. That's what I'm saying and that's my point.
So amongst all these words, do you or do you not support background checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes it does - the stories demonstrate the left's irrational fear of firearms to the point that they, for instance, call a Pop Tart bit in the shape of a mountain, a weapon.
They are delusional. This all looks like practice drills for a future "thought police".

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
Only a moron thinks that most criminals attempt to go through legal channels to get firearms. Those that DO try to buy a firearm and lie on the 4473 form and/or fail the background check ( which by the way is already in effect in every state) are not even prosecuted! Yeah, we need more stupid laws that will only affect legal gun owners and that will have no affect on criminals! Especially considering that the government doesn't even prosecute the laws already on the books.

I swear there are some absolutely brain-dead morons in this country. People that don't have a ****ing clue what they're talking about while tossing around key words like assault weapon or high capacity clip! What a bunch of effeminate panty waisted sissies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Maybe if a few more people, particularly school administrators, were smart enough to differentiate between toys and real guns, the problem kids would be dealt with.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,934 times
Quote:
I do not care about background checks. Most gun owners could care less about them too. The problem is that the gun control politicians know how ignorant their constituents are to firearm and take advantage of that. Background check do not affect me at all other than a small $2 fee and a short wait. If they would have introduced a bill that focuses on background checks which would have only inconvenienced criminals instead of trying to piggyback gun bans, magazine limits, and a whole slew of other things based on cosmetic appearances, then everything that they proposed would have passed. They are smart in realizing how dumb some are though. Instead they piggyback other stuff in so that when we reject part of a bill that punishes law abiding citizens, the less intelligent actually believes that we want to make it easier for felons or "any nut-cake" to be able to shoot innocent people because we're "nuts".... Not true at all...

Old 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Does if effing matter if the stories are true? No. It doesn't.
I'm fairly certain it matters to the parents of those kids who were expelled by the liberal whack-jobs (probably administrators) who would suspend their kids for such ridiculous reasons.

It's a shame that people are becoming so completely dumbed down that they prefer to not hear the truth anymore. I can only hope the truth still matters to more than a few people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Maybe if a few more people, particularly school administrators, were smart enough to differentiate between toys and real guns, the problem kids would be dealt with.
Exactly right!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Oh, Dear Lord, give me patience...
YES, we "support background checks", in that they prevent criminals from buying guns from licensed dealers (which, in spite of what some antis say, most vendors at the dreaded gun shows ARE!).
HOWEVER, we are smart enough to realize that VERY FEW criminals attempt to purchase their weapons from licensed dealers, nor do they purchase from responsible gun owners. They steal them, or make their purchase from back-alley black marketeers, or, in a few cases, manufacture their own.
Then sell them in back alleys.
Therefore, as in the case of the Navy Yard shooter, a background check is often an exercise in futility. It simply does NOT stop most criminals from getting a weapon, it is merely an annoying piece of paper to be filled out by law abiding citizens.
But, it keeps some people happy, allowing them to think they have really done SOMETHING, so in that respect I suppose it has some value.
However, the fact that very few of those who have lied on the form have ever been prosecuted for swearing to an untrue statement rather negates the value of the form. They didn't get to purchase a gun, so I guess that has some value.
Not much, but some. How many of those who were denied would have committed a crime? We will never know, but I suspect not many.
So, do we "support background checks"? Yes, it has value as a piece of "feel good" legislation.
Do we support background checks for ALL gun sales? It depends...
WHO will pay for the check? IMO, in the government wants it, they should pay for it! Neither the buyer nor the seller should be assessed any cost.
What will happen to the paperwork? IMO, it should be filed in a secure place, where NOBODY has access, then destroyed after one year, by burning or cross-cut paper shredder.
Where will the form be available? IMO, it should be available as a FREE pdf file on the internet.
What number will the seller have to call to get the INSTANT check? There should be several numbers, nationwide, toll free, so that the check will go through in minutes, with little or no waiting.
Of course, the above is purely MY opinion. I can not, and will not, speak for anybody else.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Perhaps read a bit more carefully, my friend. I know few, if any, liberals who want to deny you the use of a gun for protection should you feel the need to own one.

I do support background checks so your mentally ill neighbor doesn't get to own one and restrictions on military grade weapons in the hands of civilians.

I don't support doing ridiculous and crazy things under most circumstances.

If you can be reasonable, so can I.
OKay, so first off... no civilian has access to military grade weapons. There's a finite amount of class 3 weapons available, and the pool is shrinking fast.

Class 3 firearms include machine guns, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, suppressors, destructive devices and Any Other Weapons (AOWs).
The tax for privately manufacturing any class 3 firearms is $200. Transferring requires a $200 tax for all class 3s except AOW’s, for which the transfer tax is $5.
To legally possess a class 3 weapon you must complete a transfer of registration within the NFA registry.
There are two ways for you to legally buy a class 3 gun. The first is by transfer after approval by ATF of a registered weapon from its lawful owner residing in the same State as the transferee. The second is by obtaining prior approval from ATF to make NFA firearms.

Read more: Will Hayden: How to Buy Class 3 Weapons

As you can see there are already a lot of hoops in place for such weapons.

Secondly, background checks are already in place, and have been for 15-20 years. All firearm purchases must be shipped to a licensed gun dealer, who then submits the purchasers information to the FBI.

There are millions of guns purchased before BG checks, and the only way to get rid of (the majority) of them is to make all guns illegal to own. This is the ends the gun grabbers want to achieve. I'm tired of hearing people say they don't want to keep anyone from owning guns, only to support taxing ammo 300%, or banning just clip weapons. It's a farce and unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies