Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Care about what, that some guy gave a speech for 20 hours while they slept? I doubt it..
So which is it: A valiant effort to combat the evils of Obamacare and save the Constitution or "some guy giving a speech"?

Who sleeps for 20 hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yeah. I think those people in the middle-- The ones who decide elections do.
"Those people in the middle" look at people like you and laugh.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
So which is it: A valiant effort to combat the evils of Obamacare and save the Constitution or "some guy giving a speech"?
Why isnt it both? filibuster speeches have been used since the history of the country.
Quote:
Who sleeps for 20 hours?
Comprehension ability on the left is utterly low..

guy gave a SPEECH for 20 hours, not that people slept..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
"Those people in the middle" look at people like you and laugh.
Why would they do that? That seems awfully assumptive on your part.

I'm a business owner, family member, and fellow American. I enjoy airplanes, dining out and mentoring new entrepreneurs in my state.

I pay my taxes, 75% of my employees insurance costs and volunteer.

Doesn't seem all that funny to me.

What do you do, hero?

Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why isnt it both? filibuster speeches have been used since the history of the country.

Comprehension ability on the left is utterly low..

guy gave a SPEECH for 20 hours, not that people slept..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
Care about what, that some guy gave a speech for 20 hours while they slept? I doubt it..
Really don't know what to tell you here, except, if you're going to be petty, at least be correct.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As I understood Senate rules in previous years, there was no "agreed-upon time-limited debate". That's where the whole idea of a filibuster came from: The idea that any single senator, or group of senators who yield time back and forth to each other, could go on talking, literally for weeks if they wanted to, and no one could stop them unless they got 67 votes for "cloture" to cut off debate.

The purpose was to hold up ALL Senate business, and draw the attention of the media so reporters would zoom in and write spectacular stories about what an obstrictive SOB he/they were being, and HERE'S WHY HE'S DOING THIS... and the issue the Senator is filibustering, would get a whole lot more public attention that it would have otherwise.

In 1975 this was modified. A senator (or mabe the Senate Minority Leader, not sure) could simply tell the Majority Leader that the minority was going to filibuster an issue, and that issue then needed a 60 (no longer 67) vote majority for cloture... but the rest of Senate business could go on. So the filibuster lost most of its teeth, and lost the attention of the media, which was what the majority was most afraid of.

When did this "Agreed-upon time-limited debate" thing come from? I've never heard of such a thing in Senate rules.
The Senate renegotiated the rules for the filibuster and other procedural issues January 2013:
More info here: (search for "112th Congess")
Filibuster in the United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not whining. Laughing. Wendy Davis did a real filibuster with no leaning on podiums and no bathroom breaks and she beat the deadline -forcing a later vote at a special session of the Texas legistature. Cruz postpones and delays nothing.
Wendy Davis championing to murder babies late-term was a REAL filibuster and she was a REAL freaking hero! - not! The truth is, her support for killing babies didn't defeat abortion legislation that imposed stricter requirements.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,230 times
Dick Durbin showed up for a question. Cruz forcing a debate to take place. LOL!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Whining? Who's whining? Keeping Republican foolishness like this center stage only serves to help elect Democrats.

This "filibuster" can't go on long enough! I'm cheering! Go Carnival Cruz! Go! Texas may elect a Democrat yet.
I remember *not too long ago* when the republican party was actually respected and not seen as some clown car of dysfunctional and extreme whackadoodles. lol

Go, Carnival Cruz, go!

It can only help us in 2014 and 2016!!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Why would they do that? That seems awfully assumptive on your part.

I'm a business owner, family member, and fellow American. I enjoy airplanes, dining out and mentoring new entrepreneurs in my state.

I pay my taxes, 75% of my employees insurance costs and volunteer.

Doesn't seem all that funny to me.

What do you do, hero?
I do everything you do but I don't cry about it like you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies