Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times

Advertisements

Ruh-Roh!!!! Gig 'em Ted Cruz!!!!

FULL EXCHANGE TODAY: Republican Senator Bob Corker attacks Cruz on Senate floor, plays dumb about cloture, throws Cruz, Lee under the bus. Senator Ted Cruz responds - Awesome debator!!!

Sen. Corker attacks Sen. Cruz on Senate floor - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I hate to answer your question with a question, but what would the one year suspension gain? Would it delay the inactment of ACA in hopes of a good 2014 election?

If anyone could explain how a one year delay helps the implementation of ACA, im curious? I beleive that the reason of any delay would be in hopes that more "opposition" could be fostered with the end game of totally repealing the act.

I could be wrong.
Well for one a year's suspension has already been granted to employers and others so why not the public? Secondly, there needs to be informed debate over this law. A law that was shoved through the process without most people reading it fully or understanding much of it. When one of the lead proponents (Sen. Max Baucus) who was my former rep by the way comes out and calls this law a "train wreck" as have other prominent Democrats then there's an issue that could use more scrutiny.

What's a year more of actual conversation about the problems with this bill going to hurt if it allows some things to be tweaked to work better?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well for one a year's suspension has already been granted to employers and others so why not the public? Secondly, there needs to be informed debate over this law. A law that was shoved through the process without most people reading it fully or understanding much of it. When one of the lead proponents (Sen. Max Baucus) who was my former rep by the way comes out and calls this law a "train wreck" as have other prominent Democrats then there's an issue that could use more scrutiny.

What's a year more of actual conversation about the problems with this bill going to hurt if it allows some things to be tweaked to work better?
Baucus said it would be a train wreck if the funding to educate the public about the ACA wasn't adequate. He never said it about the law itself. Why do right wingers always leave out the rest of that quote? And it was prompted by the fact that the GOP cut the entire budget that would have educated Americans about the implementation of the new law. Big surprise. And then the right complains that no one understands it.

As for why it shouldn't be delayed for a year:

A new report from the Urban Institute shows that a one-year delay in the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) individual mandate would result in far-reaching effects, including decreased insurance coverage, increased premiums, increased financial risk for hospitals, and a need to re-establish already approved premiums for plans inside and outside the exchanges.

“Unlike delaying the employer mandate, postponing the individual mandate would start a domino effect with consequences ranging from millions more people without insurance to those who do purchase insurance having to pay much higher prices,” said Linda Blumberg, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute. “The disruptions and pressures that would be created by a delay could lead us back to square one with people being denied coverage based on what conditions they have and plans not covering all the necessary services.”

Delaying Individual Mandate Would Cause Major Disruption in ACA Implementation | The Lund Report

That ship has sailed.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Cruz is making a fool of himself for his own pleasure. Dems and liberal are getting the laughs this time. The question is will voters lose patience with him when he comes up for reelection.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Couldn't rep you, but can give you...

Senator Corker argued the bill passed by the House would defund Obamacare and that Senate Republicans should support the bill, voting in favor of cloture.

Corker didn't focus on the fact that Harry Reid will restore funding to Obamacare in the Senate.

Cruz answers Corker by asking why Sen. Reid and every other Democrat would also be voting in favor of cloture if supporting the motion was the same as voting to defund Obamacare.

That's what I would like to know.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
All I can say is what a pack of worthless .........the entire lot of em. Democrat.......republican.....all of em. Who was it screaming about how the tea party were anarchists the other day.........I think dirty harry reid but I'm not sure. Well you know what damn right I am. Not a militant anarchist but I'm proud to say I'm a non militant anarchist and I've and I think many in this country are tired of the dog and pony show we are watching. Maybe the day will come when we have to not allow stupid people to vote I don't know because that will eliminate liberals but something has to happen or this country is doomed.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2013 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: language

Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
If a senator votes for cloture, then that is a vote for the ACA. As is a vote in the Senate to strip out the House's defunding amendment.

The cloture vote won't come until tomorrow, more likely Saturday or Sunday, when the Nation's attention is turned away from Washington. You are apparently mistaking the vote to open debate, taken immediately after his talkathon for the cloture vote. After debate is shut off by way of a "cloture" vote, then they vote on Prince Harry's amendment that strips the Houses' amendment on defunding the ACA.

Since you are confused by this process, then you also will not know or understand that in the House's bill is full and complete funding for the federal government, except for the ACA. So, if Prince Harry gets his way and closes the debate and get's his amendment approved that strips the House's amendment that defunds the ACA, who is shutting down the government? Certainly not the House of Representatives.
So Harry Reid is responsible because he disagrees with a with the house amendment to defund Obama Care that was one of the reasons that Obama was elected, could it possibly be that the house is the culprit in defunding a program that was already approved by the American voters in the last election. Maybe they should defund the DOD .

Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
All I can say is what a pack of worthless Mf'ers..........the entire lot of em. Democrat.......republican.....all of em. Who was it screaming about how the tea party were anarchists the other day.........I think dirty harry reid but I'm not sure. Well you know what damn right I am. Not a militant anarchist but I'm proud to say I'm a non militant anarchist and I've and I think many in this country are tired of the dog and pony show we are watching. Maybe the day will come when we have to not allow stupid people to vote I don't know because that will eliminate liberals but something has to happen or this country is doomed.
I agree with you chief! And that 21 hours and 17 minutes of legislative masturbation performed live, on global tv, should have been xxx rated.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:50 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I agree with you chief! And that 21 hours and 17 minutes of legislative masturbation performed live, on global tv, should have been xxx rated.
Eh at least the friggen guy was doing the filibuster like your supposed to ya know. It's all a dog and pony show. Obamacare will us all, folks will get their stupid waivers, government will get the debt limit increased on and on all these clowns want is their face on the gdam TV, Obama included, so they can bray about how they tried to save the day come midterms. Actually I've noticed they are trying to hem and haw and drag this ACA BS out with delays and BS so they can get into campaign season and say oh we will fix it and blame the others and of course the repubs will say oh it's all a mess and in reality none of em even care because they don't have to go through it. Just pathetic.

Like I said I'm a non militant anarchist now and if that makes me a tea party member so be it. I'm just fed up. Hell I don't even post around here much anymore it's all gotten so ridiculous I don't even know what to say anymore. lol

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2013 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: language

Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Although my moderate political views have not changed over the years, I have voted for candidates in both parties. Ted Cruz, and the rest of the Republicans that have shifted to the far right, have moved away from my political position. I now am more closely in line with Democratic politicians. If Cruz and his crew ever want to win national elections again, they need to remember that swing voters (moderates) determine the outcome of elections, and the further you move away from us the less likely it is for your candidate to win.
All true, which makes it surprising to me that the far right ideologues seem to spend as much time insulting moderates as they do hardcore lefties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies