Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,705,170 times

Advertisements

I went to E-Health and ran a Houston zip code and found a Humana plan that was 70/5000 and then went to the Kaiser calculator and used the same zip code. The cheapest bronze plan was 5100 per year for a family while at e-health a comparable plan was $7,500 per year. So there is the $2400 savings. I guess though if you are a Republican in Texas you want to get rid of the ACA and pay $2400 more out of pocket. I forgot this is with no premium support. 70% of people in Texas will qualify for premium support. Run the numbers your self if you live in Texas and report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM

16,746 posts, read 8,107,387 times
So the people here do not want an indivdual or family, that does not have healthcare, to be able to get the same tax credit as large business so that it is affordable.(As large business gets a credit called a deduction)

Elitists

Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM

24,341 posts, read 22,891,284 times
I'd say there should be a " No Opting Out" clause added that anyone on public assistance be denied the right to opt out and have the costs of the insurance be deducted from their benefits. They could also automatically enroll public assistance recipients and just deduct the costs from their tax refunds at tax time.
Maybe all this is academic since this looks like its one big train wreck and is looking to be less likely than ever to be implemented.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,705,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Since when has ANY information provided by the govt. ever been accurate ?
Go to the Kaiser calculator. I suppose the government fudged on the numbers provided by the insurance companies. Why would they? In some places they are higher and people will pay more in places like Texas they pay less. Why not lie everywhere? Place like Ohio they will pay a lot less.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,649,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Wait until you get the levels of choice and the associated deductible, which is greater for the lower levels.

Have 2- 5k out of pocket at the lowest level do ya?

Obamacare is an abomination. You will find out now that you passed it.
Yes, the deductible is higher when you pay a lower premium. By definition. That is how all insurance works. This isn't a conspiracy.

You buy the cheapest plan if (A) you can't afford anything more and/or (B) because you don't use medical services very often. Either way, you're covered for catastrophic occurrences, which is generally what has caused the bankruptcies associated with medical bills. It fixes that.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM

4,059 posts, read 4,101,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
So far, the only "rate shock" in Texas is that rates are lower than expected according to the following HHS report.

ASPE

In Austin, Texas, with 76 plans to choose from, a 27-year-old would pay $169 per month for the lowest cost mid-tier plan. In Dallas-Fort Worth, with 43 plans to choose from, that price was $217 per month, the report said.

Health Insurance Rates For Obamacare’s Texas Marketplace Are Lower Than Expected | FrontBurner

Meanwhile, Canadian, I mean Texan Ted Cruz is pretending to filibuster Obamacare.
Except the rate pre-obamacare will be in the $70s

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,874,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd say there should be a " No Opting Out" clause added that anyone on public assistance be denied the right to opt out and have the costs of the insurance be deducted from their benefits.
People poor enough to be on welfare already qualify for the expanded coverage under Medi-Caid. FACT.

This was, of course, the whole point of expanding Medi-Caid.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Except the rate pre-obamacare will be in the $70s
No, not for the same coverage. What ACA did do was outlaw fake insurance plans which didn't actually cover anything; where people paid their premiums each month but the second they got sick they found out their "low cost" plan didn't cover anything and they got dropped by the insurance company. That sort of fraud is no longer allowed and now all plans have a legal minimum level of coverage (much like the legal minimums on car insurance) so that when people get sick they actually are covered by their insurance policy. Oh, and the insurance company can no longer just drop people when they get sick.

That's a good thing.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Where have all the wingnuts gone? You post a few facts which prove them wrong and suddenly they all disappear and don't want to post any more.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,765,150 times
I love the careful statement. Notice there is a difference between these two statements:

Obamacare Rates in Texas are Lower Than Expected

Obamacare lowering the cost of heathcare

I'm not impressed with the first one, I would be impressed with the second, if it were true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies