Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:15 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
Well Ted Cruz and Mike Lee are currently begging people to give them money to "defund" the ACA, so I suggest that you stop defending them if you want it to stop entirely.
Right....let me guess, you think Obamacare is the answer to the problem.

Pull your own finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It has been a success for our family, as my oldest daughter could not get coverage on her own due to existing medical conditions. She can now make a reasonable transition on her own,
You should be thanking the millions of other Americans who are now going to pay more for their health coverage so your daughter did not have to pay.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
Actually, the more young, and generally healthy Americans in the insurance pool is a good thing.
Such is the nature of insurance.

The problem has been the conservative smear campaign of the Mandate. First proposed by the Right in response to Hillary Care in 1993, now the same process decried as unAmerican. UnAmerican as a personal commitment to one's country. i.e. The Draft.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Meanwhile, senators told to wait before signing up for Obamacare.

Senators, Staff Told Not to Enroll in Obamacare Exchanges Yet | The World's Greatest Deliberative Body

Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You should be thanking the millions of other Americans who are now going to pay more for their health coverage so your daughter did not have to pay.
95% of all Americans will be paying less. It's a shame so many benefitting will be right-wingers.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
They rarely get sick compared to every other group which is why many young people choose to not have insurance.

It would be like mandating someone in Kansas to get earthquake insurance. Could they have an earthquake, yes; however, the chances of one happening are very small and many choose not to buy insurance.

You can see the two main difference in our posts. I use the word "choose" a lot, people have to make a personal choice on how their want to live their life. You want to government to "mandate" what decisions are made.

I support the right of the people to make bad choices.

It saddens me that you think everyone is so dumb that the government must make choices for everyone.
Comparing HC to earthquake insurance is too far off. Because earthquakes are rare even in endemic areas. Death is very rare.

Deaths from U.S. Earthquakes

Earthquake insurance is fairly typical insurance where there are unknowns and uncertainties that are fairly easy to describe. So most areas need no coverage. And the major calamities anywhere we cover as a society.

With HC almost all will need the insurance over time, no matter where they live. Especially as they get old. And the number, frequency, extent and severity of unknowns and uncertainties are typically much higher.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I know someone who has gone through the training to help people through the process. He's already had a few conversations like the one described in the OP, and there will be many more, I'm sure, in the months to come. There is a lot of disinformation to overcome.

One thing he said that I found interesting is that on an information conference call held by Kathleen Sebelius recently, she said that Obama likes having the ACA called Obamacare. He's that confident that it is going to be a success.
If it is a success and the name sticks, wow, that's a legacy for you. It would be like calling Medicare LyndonCare.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You're missing it. We paid. We were able to pay. We were given the opportunity to pay. Previously we'd be SOL.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If it is a success and the name sticks, wow, that's a legacy for you. It would be like calling Medicare LyndonCare.
As I recall Canada's most revered soul was the guy who introduced their HC plan back when. His name escapes me right now.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Well I guess Obamacare will be a resounding success because someone in their mid twenties can continue to muche off their parents even longer.
Yes, my daughter now has less incentive than ever to find a job or go to school..... It used to be she'd have to be in school for me to cover her. I could use that leverage. She needs to go to school but I'm afraid she's going to drop out now that she knows I can still cover her.

Under obamacare my insurance has to cover my dh even though he's on medicare as well. Saves the government some money there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies