Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No amount of healthcare will prevent the inevitable.
ACA is not free and most definitely not unlimited.
It's extremely expensive in fact for those who will be forced to pay for it. Obama did nothing to address the rising costs of health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's extremely expensive in fact for those who will be forced to pay for it. Obama did nothing to address the rising costs of health care.
How about worrying about those without health insurance. The cost of prescriptions they need are astronomical. For instance, my son is taking a certain medication. Without insurance it would cost $1200 for 1 month

Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Why?

Do you really know what is causing the health care costs to go up so dramatically? The ACA has done absolutely nothing to address those issues.
Let's get people insured, then get to the bottom of the cost issue.

I blame hospitals most of all.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Uninsured people with preexisting conditions. Cancer survivors, immune-impaired people, etc.
Only those uninsured people who can get insurance within their means. It don't help if you get $50 dollar plans that you have $70 co-pays and have to worry about who your doctors will be.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No such thing as an Obama phone. Free phone service has been available to qualifying individuals for decades. No federal money is used to pay for it. Carriers can pay out of pocket ( yeah sure) or impose a tax on their customers phone bills.

If someone does not make enough to put groceries on their table, imagine what an accident or diagnosis of a major life threatening disease is going to do to them. ACA caps the cost of the premium.

It has been known all along that a small percentage of people will continue to remain uninsured because their income is too low for ACA and, dependent on their state, not qualified for Medicaid.
That's not entirely my point in regards to ObamaPhone or whatever we would like to call free-cellular service, the point is if one can't afford a cell phone bill and some people of authority are selling this as affordable as a cell-phone bill, then how exactly does that person who couldn't afford to pay for a cell-phone magically be able to afford insurance that cost that price?

I can only imagine what it would do that person, but I'd rather continue putting grocery on the table and not being able to afford healthcare while hoping to never be faced with a tragic event as opposed to purchasing insurance and forcing myself into a tragic event out of hunger. Nonetheless I understand what you're saying, i just hope you can understand why I just don't want ACA mandated.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Probably true. What does the GOP propose to do to cut into the profits of those companies who support them? They tend to be on the profiteering side of the argument. The public good is for losers (or so I keep hearing). Adam Smith's invisible hand will fix this......or not.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Probably true. What does the GOP propose to do to cut into the profits of those companies who support them? They tend to be on the profiteering side of the argument. The public good is for losers (or so I keep hearing). Adam Smith's invisible hand will fix this......or not.
Again, tort reform and cost disclosures would reduce costs. Making people get insurance and trying to address these issues later is putting the cart before the horse.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Again, tort reform and cost disclosures would reduce costs. Making people get insurance and trying to address these issues later is putting the cart before the horse.
Exactly how do you want tort reformed? I think people should be able to sue their doctors when their doctors make decisions that compromise their lives.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Exactly how do you want tort reformed? I think people should be able to sue their doctors when their doctors make decisions that compromise their lives.
Caps on payouts would be a good start. Limit what types of law suites can be filed. Require up front payment of attorney fees.
The system is rife with abuse that affects all types of business.

I could walk into a courthouse right down your name as a defendant and sue you for whatever I want. I could do this in different counties and states. You would have to go through the court system to get the frivolous law suits thrown out and I can just keep filling.

It has become cheaper to settle than fight frivolous law suits. People know this and file frivolous law suits because they get paid and face no consequences.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I blame hospitals most of all.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies