Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Republicans have a plan for health care its called a tax deduction. But since the poorest people don't pay taxes they don't get anything. If you are in the 25% bracket with a family of four you can write off $5,000 towards health insurance. So the upper middle class gets a break and everyone else gets nothing. Can a Republican please explain that, especially if you are covered by a government plan.
You have to pay taxes to get a tax deduction, hope that clears things up.

It is kinda like if you have a coupon for 10% of the purchas of a $100 item. You now only pay $90 for the item, you cannot walk into the store and just give them the coupon and get $10 without buying anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Change for changes sake is how we end up with so much crap from Washington. This feeling that "something" must be done, even if it does not solve the problem, is bellowed from liberals.

I don't have to necessarily come up with a solution to a problem to tell you your solution sucks.
That's essentially the Tea Party anarchist position. Trouble is almost every single one of them is on gubbermint health insurance..Medicare, Tricare, and VA. Tea Partiers are more reliant on gubbermint than the rest of America.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
That's essentially the Tea Party anarchist position. Trouble is almost every single one of them is on gubbermint health insurance..Medicare, Tricare, and VA. Tea Partiers are more reliant on gubbermint than the rest of America.
Why don't you think about what I said, then respond with something besides name calling and lies.

Trying to make CD a better place, one post at a time.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If the program were really so bad, the GOP would have kept their mouths shut and let Obama and the Democrats fall flat on their keisters with the ACA. Then it would be a rousing victory for them. Just to hear the gnashing and wailing from republicans tells you that the program will be a success for the nation and the people. Republicans know that and are very afraid.
Republicans claim they are saving the nation by trying to repeal Obamacare. What a joke. When have the republicans done anything for the nation or the current administration in the last 6 years? Now suddenly they've all turned into Mother Teresa, spilling over with compassion and help for the American people trying to save them all from the evil Obamacare. Give me a freakin break.
It is irrelevant if it is a success or not. If a success, it is a victory by force and coercion of a nature that is not simply a tax. They're calling it a tax to not upset you though, and to get around the fact that otherwise, if not a tax, this legislation would be illegal. It is not a victory of true effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
When have the republicans done anything for the nation or the current administration in the last 6 years? Now suddenly they've all turned into Mother Teresa, spilling over with compassion and help for the American people trying to save them all from the evil Obamacare. Give me a freakin break.
For that you are correct, by you need to extend your timeline to at least 20 years, if not 30. The "Republican" silence has been long ongoing. There is no difference between democrat and republican legislators.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 AM

113 posts, read 101,384 times
Someone explain to me why it's not fair to charge women in prime child-bearing years more than similarly-aged men for health insurance, but it is fair to charge men more for car insurance?

Also, explain to me why the middle class should subsidize the insurance of people making $250,000+ who happen to have pre-existing conditions.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
You can stop reading after this sentence . "It's ironic that ObamaCare, passed in the dead of night with only Democrat votes", it proves they have no idea what they are talking about.

Try another unbiased source.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
You have to pay taxes to get a tax deduction, hope that clears things up.

It is kinda like if you have a coupon for 10% of the purchas of a $100 item. You now only pay $90 for the item, you cannot walk into the store and just give them the coupon and get $10 without buying anything.

The Democrats have a plan for that, it's called a refundable tax credit. The Republican plan does nothing for low earners, including the 25% of jobholders who earn no more than $10 per hour.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 PM

624 posts, read 939,110 times
Quote:
Change for changes sake is how we end up with so much crap from Washington. This feeling that "something" must be done, even if it does not solve the problem, is bellowed from liberals.

I don't have to necessarily come up with a solution to a problem to tell you your solution sucks.
It's Congress's job to work through problems, to propose solutions, to make things work better tomorrow than they do now, and to preserve and augment things that do work. We are a nation built on action and experimentation. "That sucks" isn't an action or even a constructive criticism. It's just a complaint. It annoys the crap out of us when co-workers, family, or anybody else in our spheres do nothing but complain without doing anything to solve a problem, so why do we accept it from people we actually elect and pay to be problem-solvers? You and I can say "that sucks" from the sidelines, but our legislators are elected to DO something when problems are identified. I'm surprised anyone thinks they should get away with anything less.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
Try another unbiased source.
I dont wanna sound mean Johnny,i am not that way.... But it is apparant you are one of the ones who has been fooled/brainwashed..... No point trying to talk to you about this... YOU WONT HEAR ANYTHING THAT GOES AGAINST WHAT THEY WANT YOU THINKING!!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 PM

23 posts, read 31,363 times
Responding to a post about the far right not having a serious counterproposal to the ACA, just a loud, useless "NO!":

Quote:
A little parody (NOT actual quotes) of shooting4life's attitudes as suggested by his/her posts on this thread:

Uninsured Person, Pre-ACA: I have a pre-existing medical condition and not much money so I can't get health insurance. These laws suck.

shooting4life: Stop complaining and come up with a solution for yourself that isn't on my dime.

- VS. -

House Tea Party Caucus, Pre-ACA: Obamacare offends the pre-existing prejudices of our base but we can't think of a viable alternative. So this bill just sucks.

shooting4life: Then just say it sucks, don't offer any solution, and I'll still gladly support you with my tax dollars and my vote.

Hmmm. I see some hypocrisy, here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies