Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 10:12 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I've never heard of this company, but if it upsets leftists, I'll look them up.
Have you never set foot in a grocery store? Barilla is the world's largest pasta maker, including the #1 seller of pasta in the US (more than 25% of all pasta sold in the US is Barilla).

Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I'm not "anti gay," whatever that means. I was born and raised in Minneapolis, so I've been around them all my life. I just find the tactics of the homosexual crowd to be very sophomoric - childish. Pathetic, really. They remind me of a bunch of elementary kids throwing a tantrum all the time. Glitter bombing, throwing vulgar and disgusting parades, crashing churches. I am just tired with it. They need to get their crap in order or they will never receive the respect they believe they are entitled to.
First. I was responding to a thread that was merged with this one.
Second. I can not boycott a product that I don't buy anyways.
Third. I have never glitterbombed, been to a pride parade, or crashed a church. You want to stereotype ALL homosexuals by what you consider the bad, then I will consider all christians to be doctor murdering, westboro loudmouths. Shall I compare all christians to the worst of them? Or how about I compare all heterosexuals wife beating, beer swilling, child molesters, since SOME heterosexuals do those things?

You might want to look for a smaller brush to paint people with.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't know, I never bought Barilla pasta but I think I will start. I can't stand the bullying tactics by the LGBT people.
Do you also oppose the bullying tactics of those who boycotted Kraft foods, general mills, Amazon, Starbucks and JC Penneys for their pro gay stance?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Have you never set foot in a grocery store? Barilla is the world's largest pasta maker, including the #1 seller of pasta in the US (more than 25% of all pasta sold in the US is Barilla).
I don't buy much pasta and I when I do, I don't really pay attention to the brands.

Now I will, though.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:48 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Why do some business owners and CEOs feel the need to even mouth off about their personal beliefs and politics? The general public doesn't want to have to care about their dislike of gays, hate for union, new-found peace in Scientology, or anything else for that matter.

Back in the 1960s Colonel Sanders was supposedly asked what he thought about hippies. The Colonel is reported to have simply replied, "I hope they like fried chicken."

More big business people should take that approach.
Actually most business owners don't discuss their beliefs in public. Very few actually do. Compare this to all the stupid liberal celebrities who are constantly foaming at the mouth, for some reason liberals and Gays have no problem with them expressing their 1st Amendment rights, it's only when someone shares the other opinion that they want to silence them. You cannot have it both ways. If you dislike what the owner said about gay marriage, then you have every right to boycott his business. However he has every right to say what he did, and to support what he wants. Once again the gay community is not being very tolerant.

Furthermore this isn't even a issue, really it's stupid and quite frankly childish for gays to be upset at him. "Waaaa, that man has a different opinion than mine Waaaaa"that's what you guys are sounding like. If you really cared about gay rights you should be complaining about Russia and the Muslims who kill and harm gay people. But I don't see gay people getting all up in arms about those things. I wonder why? It's because the cold hard truth is that most people don't really care about gay people or their "cause ", it's just a trend, it's "cool " especially among the younger kids to support gay marriage, it makes you "different ".

It's a fad at best, started by the likes of Lady Gaga. It's much more easier to "boycott " (something that no one is really going to do) a pasta business or a fast food restaurant, or to change your Facebook picture to two pink lines and be popular for an hour among your friends list. While the extremely liberal states allow gay marriage (and even then most of those are done through a court and not a public vote) the vast majority of states won't allow it, and the South will never allow it. So really it's not like gay marriage should even be debated, it's really not an issue. It's just a very small and very loud group of people who want justification for their lifestyle.

I don't see why gays just can't let it go. JC Penneys ran an ad that featured two men with a child in their family sale, Pepsi donates money to gay groups, do I care? No. I still shop at JC Penneys and I still drink Pepsi because I don't care what the owners support. I respect their right to express their views. Really though not supporting gay marriage is good for businesses. It worked out great for Chic Fil - A, it will no doubt work great for this pasta company too.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I don't buy much pasta and I when I do, I don't really pay attention to the brands.

Now I will, though.
I'd recommend De Cecco.

Garbage brands likes Barilla add a lot of (cheap) finely ground durum flour to their pasta. It's much finer and has a weaker structure. When cooked, you lose a lot more starch to the water, and you end up with gummy pasta that's impossible to cook al-dente.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Actually most business owners don't discuss their beliefs in public. Very few actually do. Compare this to all the stupid liberal celebrities who are constantly foaming at the mouth, for some reason liberals and Gays have no problem with them expressing their 1st Amendment rights, it's only when someone shares the other opinion that they want to silence them. You cannot have it both ways. If you dislike what the owner said about gay marriage, then you have every right to boycott his business. However he has every right to say what he did, and to support what he wants. Once again the gay community is not being very tolerant.

Furthermore this isn't even a issue, really it's stupid and quite frankly childish for gays to be upset at him. "Waaaa, that man has a different opinion than mine Waaaaa"that's what you guys are sounding like. If you really cared about gay rights you should be complaining about Russia and the Muslims who kill and harm gay people. But I don't see gay people getting all up in arms about those things. I wonder why? It's because the cold hard truth is that most people don't really care about gay people or their "cause ", it's just a trend, it's "cool " especially among the younger kids to support gay marriage, it makes you "different ".

It's a fad at best, started by the likes of Lady Gaga. It's much more easier to "boycott " (something that no one is really going to do) a pasta business or a fast food restaurant, or to change your Facebook picture to two pink lines and be popular for an hour among your friends list. While the extremely liberal states allow gay marriage (and even then most of those are done through a court and not a public vote) the vast majority of states won't allow it, and the South will never allow it. So really it's not like gay marriage should even be debated, it's really not an issue. It's just a very small and very loud group of people who want justification for their lifestyle.

I don't see why gays just can't let it go. JC Penneys ran an ad that featured two men with a child in their family sale, Pepsi donates money to gay groups, do I care? No. I still shop at JC Penneys and I still drink Pepsi because I don't care what the owners support. I respect their right to express their views. Really though not supporting gay marriage is good for businesses. It worked out great for Chic Fil - A, it will no doubt work great for this pasta company too.
Homosexuality is a fad? Started by the likes of Lady Gaga? Cute. What colour is the sky on your world?
Let it go? If you were prohibited from marrying the one you love, would you just "let it go?"
Same sex marriage WILL be the law of the land, even in the south. You can't stay in the 1600s forever.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Consumers are allowed to boycott whatever they like for whatever reason. I see nothing wrong with what they are doing.
Absolutely. And I well remember rwnj neocons all over the net saying they were going to boycott Nabisco products after they had that rainbow Oreo ad and at the same time saying they were going to go out of their way to patronize Chik-Fil-A because of their stance on religion and values, etc., etc.

I'm not saying any of it isn't a little silly or sometimes extreme; I'm just pointing out that whining, bitching and getting your undies twisted about things isn't solely an attribute of gay people, or "lefties" etc., etc.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Chik-fil-a business SOARED after offending LGBT. Might want to look into that before you write off the "classic family" types as ineffectual.
White sheet sales probably SOARED after 'The Birth of a Nation' came out.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Gay people need to grow up and stop being such cry babies. Look I understand that you want people to tolerate you (and I strongly believe in and support that) but tolerance goes both ways, learn to respect those who may disagree with your lifestyle and let it go.
What the hell does being gay have to do with my lifestyle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies