Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Why do some business owners and CEOs feel the need to even mouth off about their personal beliefs and politics? The general public doesn't want to have to care about their dislike of gays, hate for union, new-found peace in Scientology, or anything else for that matter.

Back in the 1960s Colonel Sanders was supposedly asked what he thought about hippies. The Colonel is reported to have simply replied, "I hope they like fried chicken."

More big business people should take that approach.
^^^^WC fields said the same thing maybe 80 years ago or more about dragging politics into your business or show etc. A number of people over the years have failed to heed this advice....there are a lot of damaged careers etc. due to opening the pie-hole.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Barilla is partnering with Chik-fil-a during Customer Alienation Week/Profit Repulsion Days.
Chik-fil-a business SOARED after offending LGBT. Might want to look into that before you write off the "classic family" types as ineffectual.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He came back almost immediately and issued an apology. Seems someone told him that making such statements is not good for business.
It's always the same with fascists.

I mean, did the guy say anything hateful, or particularly horrible? What he said was perfectly reasonable IMO.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Looks like I am going to be unboycotting Barillia!

Lets all get out there and eat some Barillia pasta!

(dear all idiots who might find the above to be anti-gay, I also shop JC Penny because anti-gay orgs called for a boycott of that company. I oppose these stupid boycotts on all sides. they are just stupid, ugly and not helpful to dialogue.)

Old 09-27-2013, 07:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Does anybody REALLY think such a "boycott" will make a noticeable dent in the profits of any corporation, especially a world-wide one?
I imagine adding 1% to the number of those who don't/won't buy the stuff anyway will really make a difference!
NOT!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Does anybody REALLY think such a "boycott" will make a noticeable dent in the profits of any corporation, especially a world-wide one?
I imagine adding 1% to the number of those who don't/won't buy the stuff anyway will really make a difference!
NOT!
I think it's more of an issue on principle. Of course profits won't dip, they are too big a company. Will some homosexuals and their supporters stop buying Barilla? Yes. Will I? Yes. Am I doing it to bankrupt them? No.

The thing is, is that us homosexuals kind of have to boycott these businesses. I mean if you were Asian and McDonald's CEO came out and said we're not going to portray Asians in our ads because it doesn't show a real family or what not, would you eat there? It's like being told you're a second class citizen and who wants that. With so many choices, why do I have to give my money to Chik-Fil-A or Barilla, I don't and I won't. Am I going to parade down the street about it, no, but I will tell people if they ask why I don't go to certain places or buy certain things.

I know to all the anti-gays it seems like the community is making a big deal out of it, but how would you feel if someone said something hateful about something that is inherent to you?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
It's always the same with fascists.

I mean, did the guy say anything hateful, or particularly horrible? What he said was perfectly reasonable IMO.
No, but he stepped in a big pile of crap by opening his mouth on the subject. The smart thing would have been to never mention the topic at all. No one would have even noticed that he never has same sex couples in the ads if he didn't open his mouth.
It doesn't matter to me, because I don't buy their product anyways. I make my own pasta.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I think it's more of an issue on principle. Of course profits won't dip, they are too big a company. Will some homosexuals and their supporters stop buying Barilla? Yes. Will I? Yes. Am I doing it to bankrupt them? No.

The thing is, is that us homosexuals kind of have to boycott these businesses. I mean if you were Asian and McDonald's CEO came out and said we're not going to portray Asians in our ads because it doesn't show a real family or what not, would you eat there? It's like being told you're a second class citizen and who wants that. With so many choices, why do I have to give my money to Chik-Fil-A or Barilla, I don't and I won't. Am I going to parade down the street about it, no, but I will tell people if they ask why I don't go to certain places or buy certain things.

I know to all the anti-gays it seems like the community is making a big deal out of it, but how would you feel if someone said something hateful about something that is inherent to you?
Explain to me where what the man said was hateful.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, but he stepped in a big pile of crap by opening his mouth on the subject. The smart thing would have been to never mention the topic at all. No one would have even noticed that he never has same sex couples in the ads if he didn't open his mouth.
It doesn't matter to me, because I don't buy their product anyways. I make my own pasta.
I hope your flour manufacturer loves the Western Family

Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Explain to me where what the man said was hateful.
I think that when he says that they will only portray a "classic family," he is in effect saying that gay families are secondary to his classic family, that gay families aren't worth to be portrayed in ads and on top of that he basically says gays can go buy other pasta brands if they don't like his vision. Which gay person would agree with is vision to exclude them? I think that his sentiment is hateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies