Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in a way FloridaPirate355 is right. right now it is "cool" to be gay, or support gay marriage and the gay lifestyle. but a few years from now that fad will pass, and there will be those that while they still claim to support gays, they will have generally forgotten about the issue. and those that "came out" as gay, will go back into the closet, or will be suddenly "cured" of being gay, and they will go on with their life. and those that are truly fay will continue on with their life in relative obscurity. oh the radical gays will still have their gay pride parades, but the attendance will be down the few hardcore activists and some non activist gays who are in the area or are otherwise able to attend, and the media might occasionally cover those events, as a side bar to the newest issues of the day. so yes, in a sense being gay is a fad right now, and as usual fads pass into obscurity, like the hula hoop and the frisbee, and the pet rock.
You really don't know anything about homosexuality, do you? Are you seriously comparing gay rights with hula hoops and pet rocks?
You know what will make the "fad" pass? Giving homosexuals equal rights in all things. Then nobody will talk about it any more.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You really don't know anything about homosexuality, do you? Are you seriously comparing gay rights with hula hoops and pet rocks?
You know what will make the "fad" pass? Giving homosexuals equal rights in all things. Then nobody will talk about it any more.
read what i said again, i said NOTHING about gay rights. what i said was that there are those that "came out" of the closet because it is currently "cool" to be gay. and when it is no longer cool to be gay, they will either go back in the closet, or they will "be cured" of their homosexuality. and i didnt compare gay rights to hula hoops and pet rocks, i compared the fad of BEING gay to hula hops and pet rocks. try a reading comprehension class and the read what i wrote again.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The gays are banking their support on millineals but folks change when they get married and have kids. Just ask the Baby Boomers. A lot of people are going to scurry back to the traditional marriage side in due time.
Why would a straight person having a "traditional marriage" somehow exclude him from supporting the right of gay couples to also get married?

I don't see how a gay-marriage-supporting straight person getting married and having a kid will cause him to "scurry back" and suddenly change his mind into opposing gay marriage. How are you making that connection?

This is just my experience, but I have dozens of straight friends who supported gay marriage and who subsequently got married and had kids. Not a single one has scurried back the way you suggest they will.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
read what i said again, i said NOTHING about gay rights. what i said was that there are those that "came out" of the closet because it is currently "cool" to be gay. and when it is no longer cool to be gay, they will either go back in the closet, or they will "be cured" of their homosexuality. and i didnt compare gay rights to hula hoops and pet rocks, i compared the fad of BEING gay to hula hops and pet rocks. try a reading comprehension class and the read what i wrote again.
...except it's NOT a fad. Just because you say it is, doesn't make it so.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why would a straight person having a "traditional marriage" somehow exclude him from supporting the right of gay couples to also get married?

I don't see how a gay-marriage-supporting straight person getting married and having a kid will cause him to "scurry back" and suddenly change his mind into opposing gay marriage. How are you making that connection?

This is just my experience, but I have dozens of straight friends who supported gay marriage and who subsequently got married and had kids. Not a single one has scurried back the way you suggest they will.
there again it isnt about supporting or not supporting gay marriage, what will happen in time is that those that support gay marriage openly now, will fade into the background when their family lives start to envelope all their time, and while they may still support gay marriage, they wont be vocal about it as they are now.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He said if we don't like his message, we won't buy his product. That is correct, I don't like his message so I will not buy his product.

Yet again, if he didn't state that he wouldn't use same sex couples in ads, no one would have ever noticed.
And? Again I ask you, where did he tell gay people not to buy his product? I'm reading his comments over again and I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Lol, exactly! I'm straight and had a traditional marriage. Why would I scurry back and oppose homosexuality? I always supported it. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Its his company, he can say what he wants.

I tiny segment of the worlds population will not bankrupt him.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
And now a video apology.
Barilla CEO makes video apologizing to gays, for 4th time

Old 09-28-2013, 12:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
And? Again I ask you, where did he tell gay people not to buy his product? I'm reading his comments over again and I'm not seeing it anywhere.
AGAIN, he said if we don't like his message we won't buy his product. Which is exactly what is happening.

“We won’t include gays in our ads, because we like the traditional family. If gays don’t like it, they can always eat another brand of pasta. Everyone is free to do what they want, provided it doesn’t bother anyone else.”
Barilla CEO makes video apologizing to gays, for 4th time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies