Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Barilla is partnering with Chik-fil-a during Customer Alienation Week/Profit Repulsion Days.
LOL exactly.

I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A nor do I buy Barilla products (pasta is junk food) but these CEOs are really shooting themselves in the foot here by alienating entire demographics. They're idiots.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,900,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I think that when he says that they will only portray a "classic family," he is in effect saying that gay families are secondary to his classic family, that gay families aren't worth to be portrayed in ads and on top of that he basically says gays can go buy other pasta brands if they don't like his vision. Which gay person would agree with is vision to exclude them? I think that his sentiment is hateful.
Why should they be portrayed? They are an extreme minority, GLOBALLY.

I think Miley Cyrus sucks beyond belief...and I like a 100 other female artists that I believe are 100 times more talented than her...So, does that mean they should be perpetuated through the social media in the same regard as Miley? No, because nobody gives a about who I want to see on TV..unless, of course, I fall in with what is widely accepted.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: language

Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol the gays and their lib supporters are over reaching again. Sales of a Barilla will probably spike.
Not until they make a better product than DeCecco

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM

32 posts, read 42,590 times
These kinds of things are getting ridiculous and quite common. What a pity...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I hope your flour manufacturer loves the Western Family
My flour manufacturer has not stated either way. THAT is the way to not tick anyone off, and keep your customers.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Here we go again. Like the Chick-fil-A honcho, the Barilla chief responded to a question in the interview.

Everyone take note, because this appears to be the current MO: pro-gay agenda (which includes getting everyone else to accept every aspect of their lifestyle, and promote it) "journalists" corral the CEO of a lucrative business and ask "the question." When the question isn't responded to appropriately, the MNM runs a story about how that unenlightened person is "against" this or that and uninformed people say s/he should just shut up and make sandwiches or pasta when, in fact, that person simply answered a question.

Interestingly, if you read the entire interview, in the course of it the journalist stated his own opinion, that ads of "classic" families showing the woman (gasp!) serving a meal to her husband and kids are no longer "acceptable" in Italy. Apparently, they're no longer acceptable here, either because I see plenty of ads featuring moms at the table with their kids or kids alone at the table, but I can't tell you the last time I saw a man at the table with the kids because the implication would be that the woman was serving the meal. Sacre bleu!

Like Chick-fil-A, Barilla will survive and thrive, because they make a good product.

Last edited by Delahanty; 09-27-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Chik-fil-a business SOARED after offending LGBT. Might want to look into that before you write off the "classic family" types as ineffectual.
yep, and a fair chunk of that business increase was from the lgbt community supporting the chick-fil-a CEOs RIGHT to say what he said.

Quote:
I think it's more of an issue on principle. Of course profits won't dip, they are too big a company. Will some homosexuals and their supporters stop buying Barilla? Yes. Will I? Yes. Am I doing it to bankrupt them? No.

The thing is, is that us homosexuals kind of have to boycott these businesses. I mean if you were Asian and McDonald's CEO came out and said we're not going to portray Asians in our ads because it doesn't show a real family or what not, would you eat there? It's like being told you're a second class citizen and who wants that. With so many choices, why do I have to give my money to Chik-Fil-A or Barilla, I don't and I won't. Am I going to parade down the street about it, no, but I will tell people if they ask why I don't go to certain places or buy certain things.

I know to all the anti-gays it seems like the community is making a big deal out of it, but how would you feel if someone said something hateful about something that is inherent to you?
Quote:
I think that when he says that they will only portray a "classic family," he is in effect saying that gay families are secondary to his classic family, that gay families aren't worth to be portrayed in ads and on top of that he basically says gays can go buy other pasta brands if they don't like his vision. Which gay person would agree with is vision to exclude them? I think that his sentiment is hateful.
you might want to actually READ what was said in the article;

Quote:
"For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the basic values of the company," he told Italian radio on Wednesday evening. "I would not do it but not out of a lack of respect for homosexuals who have the right to do what they want without bothering others … [but] I don't see things like they do and I think the family that we speak to is a classic family."
Quote:
The Barilla chairman issued a statement saying that he was sorry if his remarks had caused offence and that he had only been trying to draw attention to the "central role" played by women within the family."I apologise if my words generated misunderstandings or arguments, or if they offended the sensibilities of some people," he said.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM

810 posts, read 1,446,671 times
I probably have more gay friends than most people, but the gay activists are the most hateful bullies in all of the world.

PS Barilla sauce has been my choice for quite some time now...

Last edited by Sonorio; 09-27-2013 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: add postscript

Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,660,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I probably have more gay friends than most people, but the gay activists are the most hateful bullies in all of the world.

PS Barilla sauce has been my choice for quite some time now...
So...who's hateful again?

What exactly is going on here that you don't like? CEO says something negative about a certain demographic, that demographic boycotts the product. I don't see the problem.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,473,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, and a fair chunk of that business increase was from the lgbt community supporting the chick-fil-a CEOs RIGHT to say what he said.

you might want to actually READ what was said in the article;
I did read the article. What about this part? How nice!

Quote:
Asked what effect he thought his attitude would have on gay consumers of pasta, Barilla said: "Well, if they like our pasta and our message they will eat it; if they don't like it and they don't like what we say they will … eat another."
How does a gay person like their message of only showing "classic families." In effect he is telling gays to go buy another brand. That's how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.