Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Those low end classes will do terribly and destroy the performance of the school. A concentration of problem children into limited numbers of classes will exponentially increase the difficulty of educating anyone in those classes. You could put them into very small classes and perhaps make progress...but that is very expensive and who is willing to pay.
The market will find the price levels, what? It is hard so everyone should have to suffer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Why would a private school turn away profits? Turning away each child who has a voucher for say 10,000$ each would make no sense..
I have a real problem with people trying to educate kids for profit. Aside from that, you totally misinterpreted my post. It's cheaper to educate cherry-picked students.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The trouble with vouchers is they feed the beast that caused the problems public ed now faces in the first place: the abandonment of public schools by middle and upper-middle class families.

As middle and upper-middle parents have abandoned the public schools, many public school districts have become dumping grounds for the poorest kids. That is to say, the kids who come from the most chaotic and economically strapped homes, the kids who are most likely to have behavioral problems, the kids who are least likely to get academic support outside of school. They are also the kids whose parents have the least education and political power.

That has already a created a horrendously bad situation. In my own city (Chicago), over 80% of public school students now come from poor families. Vouchers do not cover the full cost of private school tuition. At best, they just give the few remaining middle class families with kids in the system an incentive to leave. Vouchers just make a bad situation worse by further splitting the educational system between rich and poor.
No, the beast that killed public education is a combination of unions and political correctness, This idea that some how middle and upper middle class people wanting a better education for their kids and pulling them out a failing system is a lie.

Why keep a dumping ground a dumping ground when it could be a factory designed to educate and raise those kids to their truest potential and do so account to the parents who have the ability to send their children to another similar school if that school is failing in its mission/business model?

The problem in Chicago is a very very constricted market place, open the gates and let in many many more private schools, the cost will go down to competition...

This idea that it is bad for people to try and get and be the best they can be is some how mean spirited and classiest is a joke..

In short because one or two percent of people might fail(which they are failing now) means we should not allow others a greater means of success is sicken to say the least..

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Gunlover, the district south of instituted a voucher system (the issue is now before the courts) a couple of years ago. The allotment comes nowhere close to covering private school tuition anywhere in the surrounding community, so affluent parents simply use the money to subsidize a private school education they can in all likelihood already afford. The system does not help underprivileged students, because their parents simply cannot make up the difference. Although its certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, what we do have here in Colorado that does a much better job of helping underprivileged kids, at least in my opinion, is provide open enrollment for any student to attend any public school in the state.
So are you telling me no one is willing to step into this market place, innovate, lower prices and cost in the pursuit of profit?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
[sarcasm]Just what I wanted, my tax dollars going to bigoted, anti-science Bible-thumpers so they can try to brainwash America's children.[/sarcasm]

Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
That is not what happened at all.

The middle and upper-middle classes began abandoning the public schools en masse after Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954. It was a response to racial desegregation, which the majority of whites didn't want (and still don't want). That is why public schools today are even more racially segregated than in the 1960s.
So they are racist? I mean its not they want the best education, its the fact they are racist, right? Not the high crime rates, or the failing lessons, and hostile learning environment, its racism..

Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
As long as a single penny of taxpayer money gets spent on religious schools I will be against vouchers. Tax money should never be spent to support a private religion. Period. End of discussion.
So you favor sending kids to failing schools over religious education?

You favor the higher long term cost of prison and welfare over a small cost of religious education?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
So you favor sending kids to failing schools over religious education?

You favor the higher long term cost of prison and welfare over a small cost of religious education?
So you propose to increase the size of the religious education establishment but a fact of 20 X or 30 X or so with the cost paid by the government? You really think they will remain religious in the process...

You are amazing...never let it be said a rational thought crossed your brow.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
So they are racist? I mean its not they want the best education, its the fact they are racist, right? Not the high crime rates, or the failing lessons, and hostile learning environment, its racism..
Actually they left long before any of that occurred.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Whoa, my thread has grown quite dramatically since last time I viewed it. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies