Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I only purchase my firearms from family, friends, or acquaintances. Never from a dealer. Therefore, no NICS required.
NICS doesn't get year make model or serial number anyway. All NICS gets is you name if you are a citizen and what type of guns, as long gun pistol, and hand gun, being that pistol is a semi auto. NICS can't possibly guess what the gun really is from that info can they? Can't know if the long gun is a kids 22 bolt action to a shotgun or an AR....

Can't know if the hand gun is a Mod 29 S&W or Ruger Bear Cat. Can't know if the pistol is a Gov issue Colt from a Jennings .25 ACP junker.

Only such states that have a registry can keep that info, and most states don't. I am sure more than 1 state does but all I am aware of is NY for hand guns/pistols and not for long guns.
The NRA doesn't care what guns are owned at all. I assume you know ALL of this.... But it is clear most others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
After work today, I'm going to the range to try my friend's G19. If I like the feel and handling of it, I'll be buying one when the government comes back "online". If the SHTF prior to that, I'll rely on my long guns and my little 1911 22.
Go try to buy it if you got the bucks, to see what happens. I think you will be able to make the purchase but may have to wait for the BC times to time out. That might be 10 days. The gov is said to shut down for 12 so you would beat that by 2 days if i am right.

If I am right, it would also mean NICS was shut down, and i don't know if that is true.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
NRA-ILA | NICS Will Continue to Operate if There Is a Government Shutdown

Yes, you can still buy a gun during the shutdown.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
In a bit of irony, if the Federal Government shuts down, then the BATF will put almost everyone on furlough. Gun sales from dealers will STOP because the National Instant Criminal Background Check System will not be updated and will be taken offline until funding resumes. Furthermore licensing of new dealers and any processes that involve BATF processing will also STOP. In essence, Republicans will hurt one of their key constituencies.

If you are a member of the NRA, contact your local congressional representative to have them pass the budget before the deadline to keep the BATF operating! (this would most definitely be a first for the NRA...)

Unless you have a CCW,

FAIL

Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
In 1989 I was living in Los Angeles when Los Angeles County decided to ban a long list of firearms without a grandfather clause. Which meant that I went to sleep as a law-abiding citizen one night, and awoke the next morning as a criminal. I had only three choices:
  1. Turn my now illegal firearms over to law enforcement and hope I am not thrown into prison;
  2. Keep my now illegal firearms and remain a criminal; or
  3. Move, and take my now illegal firearms with me.
I chose option #3, and by May 1991 I started a new life in Alaska. By June 1991 I became an NRA Life member, and by July 1991 I became a member of the NRA-ILA Steering Committee in Alaska. For the next three years we worked to amend the State of Alaska Constitution. In 1994 our initiative was placed on the ballot and it received 77% of the popular vote (two-thirds is required to amend the State Constitution).

Article I, Section 19 of the Alaska State Constitution was amended as follows:
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State. [Amended 1994]
Never will I say "it cannot happen here." California is a prime example of the NAZI Germany fascist State re-emerging.
Then the government knows you own guns. All that effort wasted.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
NICS doesn't get year make model or serial number anyway. All NICS gets is you name if you are a citizen and what type of guns, as long gun pistol, and hand gun, being that pistol is a semi auto. NICS can't possibly guess what the gun really is from that info can they? Can't know if the long gun is a kids 22 bolt action to a shotgun or an AR....

Can't know if the hand gun is a Mod 29 S&W or Ruger Bear Cat. Can't know if the pistol is a Gov issue Colt from a Jennings .25 ACP junker.

Only such states that have a registry can keep that info, and most states don't. I am sure more than 1 state does but all I am aware of is NY for hand guns/pistols and not for long guns.
The NRA doesn't care what guns are owned at all. I assume you know ALL of this.... But it is clear most others don't.
They do not care what kinds of guns, they will simply assume anyone that belongs to the NRA owns guns, would be pretty useless to belong and not own them. Any membership listing the NRA has the government has, and there ya go, thank GOD I never joined and never would.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

They know when and by whom a firearm was purchased, and I consider that to be more information than they are entitled to know. Alaska has no firearm registry, and I do not care what the NRA may know. If I want the federal government to know where and when I shop for a firearm, I will send them an e-mail.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:48 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Oh brother

Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They do not care what kinds of guns, they will simply assume anyone that belongs to the NRA owns guns, would be pretty useless to belong and not own them. Any membership listing the NRA has the government has, and there ya go, thank GOD I never joined and never would.
Actually, there are many NRA members who do not own firearms. One does not need to own a firearm to support the Second Amendment.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, there are many NRA members who do not own firearms. One does not need to own a firearm to support the Second Amendment.
Seems like an utter waste of time belong to an organization that is all about gun ownership if you do not own one, but hey, to each their own, only means they will also be on the governments list, along with YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies