Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM

308 posts, read 500,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It doesn't really matter what they think though...they have no say in the process or how the event is run.

The organizers do...If she is hispanic, then she is. If she is, they want her to pony up the evidence. Should she have come under scrutiny before the fact? Absolutely...

But nonetheless...if she is indeed hispanic...she shouldn't have any issues proving so.

I mentioned it before...and nobody wants to answer.

If we took peoples word for face value...then what is stopping any white or black person from entering these pageants under the "25% rule"??

Does culture matter or does it not?
It all comes down to who enters and applies to these pageants. Also we don't know what all of the pageant contestants looked like. There could have been some other dark skinned black looking Latinas in the beauty pageant competition.

There could have been white as well as even Asian looking one's or Native American looking ones. Who knows?

I think there is more to this story than meets the eyes that were being told. That's why further investigation is important and to get all of the facts. Something probably happened that we are not being told about.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Right. Also, for example, Vanna White is half Puerto Rican. Her father is from Puerto Rico. She changed her last name as she rose up in show business.
Good thing she did because she could have never won this beauty pagent as a child for not being Hispanic enough

Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
It all comes down to who enters and applies to these pageants. Also we don't know what all of the pageant contestants looked like. There could have been some other dark skinned black looking Latinas in the beauty pageant competition.

There could have been white as well as even Asian looking one's or Native American looking ones. Who knows?

I think there is more to this story than meets the eyes that were being told. That's why further investigation is important and to get all of the facts. Something probably happened that we are not being told about.
My honest opinion...

I think they just didn't want to lose to some grimy black American trying to pull a fast one.

That's just me...

I believe if that girl was up there dancing bachata, singing merengue and showing and proving...these mothers would have had no issues. I could be totally wrong.

I'd also like to take it back to the J Lo and Longoria examples....two polar opposites , so it seems, when it comes to the perceived significance of their respective cultures. One marginalized the native tongue while the other went to great lengths to verse herself in it and embraced it.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
My honest opinion...

I think they just didn't want to lose to some grimy black American trying to pull a fast one.

That's just me...

I believe if that girl was up there dancing bachata, singing merengue and showing and proving...these mothers would have had no issues. I could be totally wrong.

I'd also like to take it back to the J Lo and Longoria examples....two polar opposites , so it seems, when it comes to the perceived significance of their respective cultures. One marginalized the native tongue while the other went to great lengths to verse herself in it and embraced it.
Why do you have such vitriol and contempt to call an 8 years old little girl "some grimy black American"?
She won the pageant which was being judged by other Latinos as the best representative of Latina beauty.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why do you have such vitriol and contempt to call an 8 years old little girl "some grimy black American"?
She won the pageant which was being judged by other Latinos as the best representative of Latina beauty.
The mother....

The mother is...

The mother is the consent. The little girl is the victim.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A person with a German surname can still be culturally Hispanic from his mother's side. It all depends on what culture he adopted....his fathers or his mothers.

George Zimmerman is a good example of that. His father wasn't Hispanic but his mother was. From what I heard he adopted his mother's culture.
I was talking about a German citizen living IN Germany with a "Hispanic" last name. Def a German IMHO.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Right. Also, for example, Vanna White is half Puerto Rican. Her father is from Puerto Rico. She changed her last name as she rose up in show business.
Vanna White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vanna's sperm donor had a German last name. He might've been a white dude but born and raised in PR.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
No, you don't be silly. You're not even making any sense. First you would have to prove if there was even any uproar at all. From what I can muster, many people were proud to have a woman of color represent Italy. And yes I'm sure there were those ppl for various reasons that didn't want Denny Mendez to represent Italy for any variety of reasons, and sadly some of those reasons could have been due to racism, xenophobia, bigotry or hate. White Italians have faced uproar if Italians just don't like that person at all or for any variety of reasons.

As for Beverly Johnson, you and/or another poster user mentioned their names or comparing their looks akin to or being similar to Denny Mendez, after I stared and brought up/in the factor that Denny Mendez is of mixed ancestral lineage. I simply replied and brought up that if y'all reckon her looks to being like Beverly Johnson who is presumably African American, then it's easily fair and an acceptable FACT that obviously Beverly Johnson, like MOST Americans are of various types of mixed ancestry. I was simply speaking fact while at the same time addressing a flawed statement with an easily counter statement that was just as valid and flawed at the same time. So again Beverly Johnson and Denny Mendez both have mixed ancestry. How they choose to identify themselves is the ultimate and most important thing

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to identities and perceptions. It's all about perceptions and mutual context and contextualizations.

The main point here though is that depending on context and perception, it blurs rigid lines and narrow thinking. It's not necessarily just black vs white and vice versa (no pun intended)
1. Lucario said there was a controversy.
Italians Contemplate Beauty in a Caribbean Brow - NYTimes.com

2. he said that in response to this controversy, she claimed to not be black, but Dominican. we have yet to substantiate if this is true. however, whether or not she identifies as black it is true that she was rejected by some Italians because she is perceived to be black. you said it was probably just her otherness, which doesn't seem to be the case.

3. I am very much aware that those of us who consider ourselves black come from a mixed background, which is not the same as being biracial or directly multi racial. we are, most of us, predominantly of west African descent. African and black are not synonymous. my statement that Benny looks similar to Beverly was in response to your assertion of her being obviously mixed. she is not more mixed than others who call ourselves black.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth or ASSume. I was not speaking only about incest. I was talking about people who happen to be of the same skin color. I was just speaking of the reasons why incest occurred or why ppl of different backgrounds or families of the same skin color may have married each other.

Re read my comment again carefully. I don't not make any comment supporting or suggesting incest.

I do NOT support incest. I find it repulsive and disgusting.
well I was speaking specifically about Rodriguez's family's incest to keep the family light. I was not speaking about people who marry certain shades of people, so your response doesn't make a whole lot of sense in response to mine.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth or ASSume. I was not speaking only about incest. I was talking about people who happen to be of the same skin color. I was just speaking of the reasons why incest occurred or why ppl of different backgrounds or families of the same skin color may have married each other.

Re read my comment again carefully. I don't not make any comment supporting or suggesting incest.

I do NOT support incest. I find it repulsive and disgusting.
" Also keep in mind that people marrying within their own families was to also help maintain their names of prestige or to maintain their higher or wealthy social standing regardless of skin color."

kind of sounds like you're justifying it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies