Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
Immigration has nothing to do with what I said.
My remarks about illegal immigration were in response to your glowing remarks about La Raza. Quote:
"La Raza never systematically discriminated against anyone".

In a sense they are discriminating against Americans by defending illegal aliens just because most of them are of their ethnic group. This attitude brings another word to mind to describe them but I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You say you are Hungarian. What does that mean?
It means that my parents are Hungarian.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
"African roots" means nothing....it means absolutely nothing.
So if "African roots" means nothing then why do you push back so HARD whenever the discussion revolves around Dominicans (or Afro-Latinos, in general) and their African roots?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So if "African roots" means nothing then why do you push back so HARD whenever the discussion revolves around Dominicans (or Afro-Latinos, in general) and their African roots?
Because people (like you) for some (very odd) reason love to perpetuate the "YOU'RE BLACK! YOU HAVE AFRICAN ROOTS!" garbage...it means nothing.

You aren't arguing geography when you say "African"..You are implying two things.

1 -skin color

And

2 - culture

And when it comes to those...they are not mutually inclusive when speaking of "Africans". Even if you want to address the racial complexes within hispanic cultures...there are many Africans who would never assimilate to the culture of American blacks. So does that count for anything?

Dominicans having African lineage still doesn't do a single thing to help Jakiyah McKoys case. And the whole argument you build is just trying to group anybody with a dash of brown into your personal, bitter agenda.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
It means that my parents are Hungarian.
And that means something, while African roots mean nothing? I do not understand.................

Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And that means something, while African roots mean nothing? I do not understand.................
No..my parents being first generation Hungarian-Americans means a lot more than someone who has to go back about 25 generations to find a relative who is a native African. And even then all that matters is whether I choose to acknowledge it or not.

Lol..it's funny how black folks use the "one drop rule" when it's convenient for them.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 10-16-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Because people (like you) for some (very odd) reason love to perpetuate the "YOU'RE BLACK! YOU HAVE AFRICAN ROOTS!" garbage...it means nothing.

You aren't arguing geography when you say "African"..You are implying two things.

1 -skin color

And

2 - culture

And when it comes to those...they are not mutually inclusive when speaking of "Africans". Even if you want to address the racial complexes within hispanic cultures...there are many Africans who would never assimilate to the culture of American blacks. So does that count for anything?

Dominicans having African lineage still doesn't do a single thing to help Jakiyah McKoys case. And the whole argument you build is just trying to group anybody with a dash of brown into your personal, bitter agenda.
So obviously "African roots" means something specific to you since you are making wild and erroneous assumptions that are not based on anything that I have actually stated.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
No..my parents being second generation Hungarian-Americans means a lot more than someone who has to go back about 25 generations to find a relative who is a native African. And even then all that matters is whether I choose to acknowledge it or not.

Lol..it's funny how black folks use the "one drop rule" when it's convenient for them.
The hypocrisy of this statement is that apparently so do you.

I'm "black" because I was born in the United States but I magically would be "white" had I been born in Latin America.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
So obviously "African roots" means something specific to you since you are making wild and erroneous assumptions that are not based on anything that I have actually stated.
It means nothing....having African roots that have been marginalized by more than half of a millennium means what? Please tell me...

Or do you just really want to say "if you're black...you're one of us" ?

Cmon say it...you are remixing the one drop rule.

If not...what's the significance of the African lineage of hispanics?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The hypocrisy of this statement is that apparently so do you.

I'm "black" because I was born in the United States but I magically would be "white" had I been born in Latin America.
No...I'm simply making the distinction between race and culture while you want to muddle the lines for the sake of your own narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies