Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:40 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
3 things here:

1: there WON'T be any "reparations" because there ain't any Civil War slaves in 2013.
2: affirmative action was reparations.
3: With Obama as POTUS: the LAST barrier for "Black" Americans has been broken.
I believe a better case for reparations can be made for Jim Crow survivors. Victims of Jim Crow and segregationist one droppism should get reparations for what they went through.

Survivors of enslavement and chattel slavery in the USA have all passed away so therefor reparations can't be given on that basis.

Barack Obama is NOT of African American (AA) descent. His father is Kenyan.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You were surprised that the journalist is a beautiful Latina?

A few more Latinas for you....Dominicanas to be exact

Model Sessilee Lopez

Arlenis Sosa

Sessile Lopez is half Portuguese though right and a lil' bit of something else?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Eva Longoria who is a big time latina --- was not born in a hispanic country nor does she speak Spanish. Ironically enough even the most well-known hispanic singer -- Selena -- sang in Spanish but really didn't speak it, nor was she born in a hispanic country.
Eva Longoria is a complex case because she is an American Creole who traces her ancestry to Spanish settlers, French settlers and French and Spanish and Creole speaking peoples that settled in Southwest and the Deep South when these regions were colonies of France and Spain respectively. She can trace her full and direct ancestry back to the 1500s in what is now the USA. In addition she does not even speak Spanish. Eva Longoria is of European, Native American, and African descent

Selena didn't speak Spanish. She struggled singing it since she was not even raised speaking it. She hated speaking Spanish

Jennifer Lopez doesn't speak Spanish either.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 10-26-2013 at 03:12 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 03:03 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Eva Longoria is a complex case because she is an American Creole who traces her ancestry to Spanish settlers and Spanish speaking peoples that settled in Southwest and the Deep South when these regions were colonies of France and Spain respectively. She can trace her full and direct ancestry back to the 1500s in what is now the USA. In addition she does not even speak Spanish.

Selena didn't speak Spanish. She struggled singing it since she was not raises speaking it.

Jennifer Lopez doesn't speak Spanish either.

that's a damn shame. I didn't grow up knowing spanish either, but i busted my butt and still learned it, these "role models" are a joke.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that there are MANY Latinos who do not have Spanish surnames. Benjamin Bratt, William Levy and Megan Goode are a few names that come to mind.
Benjamin Bratt has a U.S. American father of German, English, and Austrian descent. His mother is Peruvian.

William Levy was born and raised in Cuba by his single mother. His Levy surname comes from his maternal Jewish grandfather. So he took the name from his mom's side. His full name is William Levy Guittierrez.

Megan Goode like Benjamin Bratt is only half or part Latino/a.

Being mixed as in having one parent that's Latino or part Latino and a pare t that is not Latino at all is different from someone that has non Spanish surname but has full Latin American ties or 2 Latino parents.

William Levy is a great example because both of his parents are from Cuba and he was born in Cuba.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that there are MANY Latinos who do not have Spanish surnames. Benjamin Bratt, William Levy and Megan Goode are a few names that come to mind.
However if Benjamin Bratt and Meagan Goode are both culturally Latinos andaintain connections and ties with such then by all means they are bona fide Latinos.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
There goes that Cherokee thing again...... "and something else"

If you ask me...she is saying whatever she wants to be...

Hey if Megan Goode can prove she is Cherokee...I am CERTAIN Jakiyah can prove she is "Dominican"
Alicia Keys would qualify lol. Her biological father's mother is from Puerto Rico. Alicia Keys is 1/4 Puerto Rican.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Meghan Goode is an idiot.

Yes it would mean that caucasian is lying.

Why would you find it odd? They don't identify as being "white" either when they have white skin. I couldn't care less. I find it more odd where you're coming from.
How is Meghan Goode such an idiot in your opinion?

I don't think she is lying about anything. She is just explaining her family lineage as it was asked of her in an interview.

John Leguizamo was caught in a lie as his estranged father said that he was John Leguizamo was lying about being half Puerto Rican and that he is full Colombian.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
There are quite a few assumptions being thrown around. All that we know is that the parents were unable to provide documentation for the girl's grandmother, which was only requested after her win and not requested of the other contestants at that time.

Whether or not her parents are being truthful is unclear. However, it is not uncommon for older people in the Caribbean to lack birth certificates. Their inability to provide such does not mean anything. It is doubtful to me that anyone would enter their child in such a pageant if she was not Hispanic, as there is nothing really to gain from it. There are pageants for other ethnicities.
Right especially with DR denying and revoking citizenship status to illegal Haitians and other immigrant peoples born in DR after 1929 because they are listing it as being wrongly granted status and as being in transient status. So ppl don't have adequate or proper documentation etc or titles.

But aside from that things hopefully will improve and get better if some nations document their citizens and inhabitants better. It just goes to show how humble and how strong people are and can be.

I believe it's better to have a "citizen of the world" outlook on the world xD!

It's tricky. The family should have some kind of proof of something.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 10-26-2013 at 03:59 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
We are aware of that. However, that does not change the fact that people were still referring to her as "Arab" because they didn't know the difference. Please follow the conversation.
I was following the conversation. Please follow what was being said and the point being made. Perhaps we are saying the same thing in different ways or overlooked different aspects etc. It's mo biggie though. Sometimes with overlapping posts certain cues or context or intents can be missed.

I was just simply stating that she is Telugu Indian descent specifically.

In response to what you stated and clarified though its truly sad that those bigoted people are bashing and tormenting her and talking about her like that on social media are just ignorant. Ignorance is a bliss. One day they will wake up and learn.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 10-26-2013 at 03:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies