Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times

Advertisements

AM radio has been the home for talk radio for decades, and since news-talk is the second most-listened to format in the country, trailing only country radio, which has been #1 for almost 21 years nonstop, that's why you're going to hear primarily conservative talk radio whether you're driving around your hometown or driving across the country.

Even here in Los Angeles and most other Democratic-ruined cities, liberal talk radio is barely noticeable, and barely registers in the ratings.

Many AM talk powerhouses have added FM outlets simply because folks under 40 don't listen to AM radio, and especially those under 235 years of age, which advertisers really crave!

Since most of those stations are in the top five in their respective markets, are on the strongest signals, many of which can be heard in 25+ states after dark and make tons of money for their owners (WTOP/Washington has been the top-billing radio station in the nation the past two years, and will very likely make it three years running when the final results come out next year.

When most of us turn our clocks back one hour a week from Saturday, those stations will cover those same vast sections of the country one hour earlier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^^^ So where's the list of conservative stations to view and compare with? Also the link you provided ONLY shows the hosts not the radio stations and their locations. The original thread post talks about driving and the "limited" choice of talk stations.
I stream a progressive talk station out of Albuquerque from home:

AM1350 - Albuquerque's Progressive Talk

I don't know if that would be possible with a laptop or other device in a car, but certainly for those passing within range of that station, they should be able to pick it up on a car radio.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When driving long distance music has a tendency to put me to sleep thats why i prefer talk shows and while i can listen to any politically based talk show for hours the offerings from rightwing ideology gets quite stale and redundant with their one topic of hating Obama,
If staying awake were an issue, I would probably find listening to Rush, et al, beneficial.

I can't listen to five minutes of any of those buffoons without getting all agitated and angry.

Probably better and more effective than a great big cup of extra strong coffee. lol

Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Don't forget the online streaming portion of radio stations that bring in a lot of listeners.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Don't forget the online streaming portion of radio stations that bring in a lot of listeners.
That's what I do from home but can you do that from a car?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just spent 3 days driving and found my radio to be virtually useless as 90% of its content were bash Obama and Obamacare talk shows, FM wasnt much better as many talk shows have supplanted music and what little music there was was Christian or country. whatever happened to Rock?

The answer is Clear Channel Communications, and Sinclair Communications. These guys are the McDonald's and KFC of communications.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
For those of us who use the Internet for streaming radio I heartly recommend BBC Radio 2 and Alec Lester (The Dark Lord) who does the 2am-5am show in the Old Country (UK). He calls his show the Best Time of the Day and because of the time difference in the US you can get him at 10 pm EST. Lester has been on BBC Radio 2 for neraly 40 years and is a throw back to what radio used to be like back then.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
That's what I do from home but can you do that from a car?
Yes. There is Internet radio you can listen to if you have the right receiver in your car, or through any smartphone. In fact. if you have the right head unit you can play Internet radio on your smartphone through the head unit. The same can be done with some tablets, the ones with 3G or 4G service, although you will be using your ISP (the same as the smartphone).

Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Smile *

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka
I love AM radio
I love it also!!!!!!

This IBOC crap is making it hard to listen to distant stations sometimes AT NIGHT ESPECIALLY but i love AM!!!!!! (I always have)

Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The answer is Clear Channel Communications, and Sinclair Communications. These guys are the McDonald's and KFC of communications.

They're that bad? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies