Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times

Advertisements

Whether you like the rifle or not isn't relevant to the discussion. The OP was dismissing the AR15 as a hunting rifle, when it's probably one of the most popular hunting rifles in the country. This is especially true, when AR that are chambered in rounds other than .223 are included.

And intentionally or not, he's playing into the antis propaganda of claiming that the AR are only useful to criminals/crackpots when it's one of the most useful and versatile rifle platforms ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps, just PERHAPS, mind you, you might want to actually READ and UNDERSTAND the first post, instead of flying off the handle at the title!

I read the title, got a little upset, then read the post. OH: Sarcasm. Irony. Cynicism. OH, YEAH! Suddenly, I found myself to be in total agreement!
However, I still don't like the AR-15/M-16, and I would never buy one!
Come to think of it, as a Vietnam vet, perhaps it is just what I need for wall art; and if I purchased one it might make pelosi, feinstein, and obama upset.
I will have to give that due consideration...
Nah, still don't want one! I have an intense dislike for lightweight rifles. They are too difficult for this old guy to hold still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Not quite.

AK47 = 7.62x39
.308 = 7.62x51

.308 Has a bigger case and bullet. More powerful too.
Did you people miss the point, me thinks so, one more time same BASIC round, if you missed it read it again just go slower next time, repeat until it sinks in.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
A volkswagon and a Lambroghini are Basically the same thing too... So I guess you're right... Happy??

Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesFinest View Post
Who cares what anti gun nuts say? The 2nd amendment is the only gun law we need their arguments are mute.Don't want a gun don't buy one,enjoy being a victim though.
I only clicked on the thread title to see how many newbies were left. ooops.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A volkswagon and a Lambroghini are Basically the same thing too... So I guess you're right... Happy??
Just like how a paper airplane and a 747 are basically the same thing.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just like how a paper airplane and a 747 are basically the same thing.
Or how a liberal and a fascist are basically the same thing.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
The AR15 was never meant to be an assault rifle. The M16 is. The difference? The M16 can fire fully automatic.

As far as the power level of the round goes, when true assault rifles were introduced, they intentionally reduced the size/velocity of the loads for them. Why? Because the old bolt action rifle rounds (.30-06, 7mm Mauser, etc.) were hard to control under full auto. Also soldiers couldn't carry enough of them for a gun that could fire full auto. Finally, studies had shown that soldier rarely fired at targets beyond 400 yards, and the extreme range capabilities of the old rounds were rarely used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The AR15, (Armalite 15) is a toy gun next to a real assault rifle. Heck, compared to my K98 it's a toy. Do you realize a hardened round from a K98, (8mm mauser), can punch through almost 3/4 of an inch of steel at over 550 yards, and yes, that's over 5 ½ football fields. The ar15 is a popgun compared to MANY rifles out there, but you see "AR15" and think that AR stands for assault rifle. What a bunch of panty waist butt munchers. You probably couldn't tell the difference between a REAL assault rifle and an airsoft gun.

BTW, want less recoil? Increase the weight of the weapon, or add a recoil pad.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Whether you like the rifle or not isn't relevant to the discussion. The OP was dismissing the AR15 as a hunting rifle, when it's probably one of the most popular hunting rifles in the country. This is especially true, when AR that are chambered in rounds other than .223 are included.

And intentionally or not, he's playing into the antis propaganda of claiming that the AR are only useful to criminals/crackpots when it's one of the most useful and versatile rifle platforms ever made.
Again, you may want to read and UNDERSTAND before posting. I am the OP and I DID NOT dismiss the AR-15 as a hunting rifle.

I dismissed it as being TOO POWERFUL for hunting. I am not playing into anti-gun propaganda, and I am not anti-gun... again if you would read and UNDERSTAND what you read, you would realize that I started this thread as a PRO-AR15 thread.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:

The AR-15 is one of the most popular hunting rifles in the country, do you have anything to back that up?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
The AR15 was never meant to be an assault rifle. The M16 is. The difference? The M16 can fire fully automatic.

As far as the power level of the round goes, when true assault rifles were introduced, they intentionally reduced the size/velocity of the loads for them. Why? Because the old bolt action rifle rounds (.30-06, 7mm Mauser, etc.) were hard to control under full auto. Also soldiers couldn't carry enough of them for a gun that could fire full auto. Finally, studies had shown that soldier rarely fired at targets beyond 400 yards, and the extreme range capabilities of the old rounds were rarely used.
The AR-15 is almost identical to the M16, the fire rate on semi-automatic is identical, the only difference between is that the present commercial version of the AR-15 does not fire full auto. The AR-15 would have been a military rifle if not for a procurement change by the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies