Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,435,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Our wonderful 'do nothing' president just can't help from helping corporate CEOs (1%) at the expense of the middle class worker (99%).

Computerworld - Some state governments are willing to hire offshore IT service providers to work on healthcare IT projects under controversial contracts that don’t bar use of temporary foreign labor, or workers on H-1B visas.

Two multimillion-dollar government healthcare IT projects, one in Illinois and the other in the District of Columbia, illustrate what’s going on.

In Illinois, Cognizant was awarded a $74.1 million contract in June to upgrade the state’s Medicaid systems to meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare.

In January, the District of Columbia awarded Infosys a $49.5 million contract to develop a health benefit exchange and replace its Medicaid and eligibility systems.

H-1B workers in line for Obamacare work - BlackListedNews.com
Good! This is exactly what we need, more jobs being outsourced..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,720,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IT workers in India are paid well enough to hire drivers and maids and have all the latest techno gadgets
They're paid sort of well for their economy, but extremely less than their American counterparts and no on the gadgets ($1000 (2 months gross salary) for a iphone 5s in India). If they come to the US on a H1B then they get about 7x their salary compared to the ones who come to the US on a L-1 visa.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+State s&country2=India

http://www.mobilepriceindia.co.in/price-list/apple

Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Our wonderful 'do nothing' president just can't help from helping corporate CEOs (1%) at the expense of the middle class worker (99%).

Computerworld - Some state governments are willing to hire offshore IT service providers to work on healthcare IT projects under controversial contracts that don’t bar use of temporary foreign labor, or workers on H-1B visas.

Two multimillion-dollar government healthcare IT projects, one in Illinois and the other in the District of Columbia, illustrate what’s going on.

In Illinois, Cognizant was awarded a $74.1 million contract in June to upgrade the state’s Medicaid systems to meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare.

In January, the District of Columbia awarded Infosys a $49.5 million contract to develop a health benefit exchange and replace its Medicaid and eligibility systems.

H-1B workers in line for Obamacare work - BlackListedNews.com
State governments. Aren't all y'all always singing the praises of states' rights?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,746,104 times
I know IT workers (not managers) in China make $700~3000 per month, and the median is probably $1000.
In India it is a half of it.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I know IT workers (not managers) in China make $700~3000 per month, and the median is probably $1000.
Why so low? Inexperienced English teachers in China make more than that.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
My company stopped using China to offshore work because they were more expensive then India.
I was privy to some figures at one point (2010) and you could get 2 Chinese programmers for the cost of 1 US programmer but 3 Indian programmers for the cost of 1 US programmer. The cost to a company for a US programmer was $250K in 2010.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,256,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One state even hired Infosys to bring in programmers.
Infosys is an IT contractor headquartered in Bangalore India !!
Yup...it's the new normal.

Personally I wouldn't hire Infosys to do anything. TCS is even worse.

The skills gap is a myth.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup...it's the new normal.

Personally I wouldn't hire Infosys to do anything. TCS is even worse.

The skills gap is a myth.
A myth created by business and not questioned by government.
It's called collusion.

I was outspoken in the 90's when the tech offshoring started with back office and service fixes.
It was done to "free up the US programmers" to work on future innovations.

Fast forward and you now have the entire team in India with a US team member to be the "front" to the customer.

That's the price of globalization; you lose your job to someone who can do it for less, much less.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,432,426 times
Oh great more outsourcing. I'm tired of not undestanding these people now. Anytime you have a problem with phone or any tech problem, you never talk to an american anymore.

I cannot understand what these people are telling me, some speak very bad english. It makes me crazy.

This is the new normal, i don't have to like it. Have a phone problem, talk to a indian from India, and don't understand a thing they are telling you. I tell them flat out, don't understand you, transfer me to someone who speaks my language, they do understand me!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh great more outsourcing. I'm tired of not undestanding these people now. Anytime you have a problem with phone or any tech problem, you never talk to an american anymore.

I cannot understand what these people are telling me, some speak very bad english. It makes me crazy.

This is the new normal, i don't have to like it. Have a phone problem, talk to a indian from India, and don't understand a thing they are telling you. I tell them flat out, don't understand you, transfer me to someone who speaks my language, they do understand me!
That's not true. You can still talk to an American, but you have to pay for it. Dell has American tech support available through their business division and Verizon has American tech available through their FIOS division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies