Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I certainly don't agree with their screening process, but the bakery should be able to hire whomever they want and deny anyone employment for any reason they see fit.
Who won here? The city collected revenue and a business got poorer.
That's a different argument -- the laws are there whether someone agrees with them or not, anyone coming to this country needs to understand that there are laws here. Immigrants are not above the laws that Americans must follow --- these people can lump it or leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Framboise Patisserie in Middle Village, Queens, hit with $25,000 in fines, penalties in discrimination case - NY Daily News

and for those saying it was a fabrication, the city has already fined that bakery.

when one talks about black unemployment, one cannot forget to include that there are places that will still not hire you because of your race. this isn't the only one, there are many more like them out there.
If you read the story, the city had no proof. The evidence was all he said-she said, but the city decided to convict because the bakery had not hired any black people in 3 years of operation. While that does not look good, it also does not prove in any way that the interviewer actually said what the interviewee claimed.

"Sentence first, verdict afterwards"---it's the lib way.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll: Chapter 12

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
If you read the story, the city had no proof. The evidence was all he said-she said, but the city decided to convict because the bakery had not hired any black people in 3 years of operation. While that does not look good, it also does not prove in any way that the interviewer actually said what the interviewee claimed.

"Sentence first, verdict afterwards"---it's the lib way.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll: Chapter 12
I think the case was made when he stated that she woudn't know cookie dough. Why wouldn't she know what cookie dough is?

At least if you choose not to hire someone, you should have better excuses than that.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They were found guilty because they are guilty. In fact look at this guy's defense --- as though only white Americans can be racist --- but he obviously is. He tried to say the black woman didn't know what cookie dough is --- that's pretty low -- and racist. How can blacks not know what cookie dough is?

“I can’t hire somebody who worked at McDonald’s,” he said. “She don’t even know what is the cookie dough.”

Saputhanthri added that he found any charges of racism absurd, because he himself is from Sri Lanka. “I want the human rights judge to look at me and tell me I look like a white,” he said.

Saputhanthri even accused DaCosta herself of racism, saying she assumed his wife, Meimetea, was racist because she looked white. Meimetea is Greek.
Their words were likely condemning enough without you having to put words into their mouths.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That's a different argument -- the laws are there whether someone agrees with them or not, anyone coming to this country needs to understand that there are laws here. Immigrants are not above the laws that Americans must follow --- these people can lump it or leave.
It seems some immigrants are above the law.

U.S. acknowledges thousands of illegal immigrants released from jails

U.S. acknowledges thousands of illegal immigrants released from jails - CBS News

Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Their words were likely condemning enough without you having to put words into their mouths.
It came right out of the article from the link.

Claiming someone doesn't know cookie dough is stupid. How would anyone not know cookie dough. If he claimed that the person hired had more experience, a better resume, better references, that would be different but he didn't hire her because she doesn't know what cookie dough is?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Framboise Patisserie in Middle Village, Queens, hit with $25,000 in fines, penalties in discrimination case - NY Daily News

and for those saying it was a fabrication, the city has already fined that bakery.

when one talks about black unemployment, one cannot forget to include that there are places that will still not hire you because of your race. this isn't the only one, there are many more like them out there.
Quote:
The Rego Park woman interviewed with co-owner Patty Meimetea in October 2011 but was told she wouldn’t be a good fit for the “counter girl” position because black workers in the front of the store would scare away customers, according to findings by the city Human Rights Commission.
Must be an immigrant. I remember my first job I was 15 and was hired by the owners who were American Jews. However the manager was a homosexual Cuban guy. He was ok but one day he said America is great because in his country someone as dark as me wouldn't work in the front of the restaurant with customers. My response was it's good we're not in your country.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It came right out of the article from the link.
No it didn't. They said she didn't know what cookie dough was. You added the words "black woman" in an attempt to make it look even worse.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it didn't. They said she didn't know what cookie dough was. You added the words "black woman" in an attempt to make it look even worse.
Well it does look that way to me --- how is it possible that a black woman wouldn't know what cookie dough was? His argument doesn't make sense, if he said that she had poor references or poor attendance at previous jobs, that would make sense.

You have to write your job description to fit the position you're offering and to get the best employee and you should stick to it when determining who will be hired.

Did he actually have "must know what cookie dough is" in the job requirements? Or did he decide after the fact that it was important and that she didn't know what it is?

Even if someone thinks this outcome is unfair, you have to do things the right way to keep from being accused of racial discrimination. You have to have the job requirements stated, and you don't base your hiring decision on race.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Well it does look that way to me --- how is it possible that a black woman wouldn't know what cookie dough was? His argument doesn't make sense, if he said that she had poor references or poor attendance at previous jobs, that would make sense.
I said that what they actually said was probably condemning enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies