Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah Ann Coulter spends a fair amount of time on Southern voting patterns in her book. Pick it up, I think you would like it. It's not exactly a tour de force, but a good springboard.

As for Nixon, I have never been much of a fan of his, but he was an unsung hero when it came to the civil rights struggle. He pulled parliamentary tricks as VP under Ike (and thus pres of the Senate) to get the 1957 civil rights bill passed.

Here is some interesting history--an exchange of letters between MLK and RMN.
Letter from MLK to Vice President Nixon | The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change
Letter from Richard Nixon to MLK | The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change
I do not need to read Ann Coulter's book, I lived it. I was, and still am, a staunch Goldwater Republican and I voted for Nixon in 1972. I was living in California at the time with Reagan as my Governor. This current Republican Party is not something I can stomach. The last Republican President I voted for was Bush 41.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 04:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If you only look a one segment of the political body without considering all other political positions and offices, [the move of state legislators, county comissioners and town councilmen...down to the dog catcher] then you only have a one pixel of the complete picture.
OK fine, you give us your grand study of legislators, commissioners, and dog catchers. In the meantime, 13-1 is a pretty overwhelming ratio.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The Dixiecrats final battle over segregation ended with Wallace in 1968. None of the Dixiecrat bigots in Congress became Republicans, despite the liberal myth to the contrary, they all died as ardent Democrats. What happened instead was the voters in those southern States got fed up with the Dixiecrat's bigotry and voted new Republican politicians into office instead. Republicans like Newt Gingrich, Trent Lott, Jesse Helms, Lamar Alexander, etc., etc.

This is why Nixon won the very same five southern States in 1972 that he lost to Wallace in 1968. It was a complete change in how people voted in the south. The Dixiecrats bigots were politically dead by 1972. This was also reflected in Congress with the passage of yet another Civil Rights bill (minus the Democrat filibuster this time) which Nixon signed into law, the Equal Employment Act of 1972.

The Democrats lost a lot of white voters both in the north and south as a result of the riots at the 1968 Dem convention

Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Im sure Nixion's '69 IA had great influence in the deep south. Damn the Son's of the South tried to wack their own...Wallace when he flipped.
Yet it was five southern State that gave Wallace their Electoral College votes in 1968, and not Nixon. Beginning in 1970 Democrats could not get elected to save themselves. Suddenly, those very same five southern States that voted for Wallace began electing Republicans. By 1972 those five southern State that voted against Nixon in 1968 now voted for him. Which is what gave Nixon the largest landslide victory over McGovern in US history at that time (not to be exceeded until Reagan stomped Mondale in 1984).

Old 09-29-2013, 04:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Why do people listen to Ann Coulter, all she is a politics hack who thinks politics is about polarizing every issue.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All true.

Moreover, they seem to forget that these Southern Democrats basically stopped supporting the Democratic Party after Lyndon Johnson left office. Most of them were strong Nixon supporters. More than a few even said that they wouldn't vote for Nixon's impeachment if it came up.

If you can find the excerpts from the book "The Final Days," Southern Democrats repeatedly assured Nixon that they wouldn't join the Democrats in Nixon's demise.
Actually, they supported Wallace in 1968, not Nixon. The southern States did not support Nixon until 1972, by which time those southern States were already voting Republican, and not Democrat.

However, that would change once again in 1976, after Watergate. Southern voters did not trust the GOP after Watergate. Which is how Carter got elected.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The Democrats lost a lot of white voters both in the north and south as a result of the riots at the 1968 Dem convention
Not enough apparently. I was living in Los Angeles during the Watts/Compton Riots of 1965, and I remember the Chicago Riots in 1968 very well. That did not stop five southern States from voting for the segregationist Wallace in 1968. They did not support Nixon, or the GOP, at that time. It was only after Wallace's defeat that southern voters began to vote for Republicans and stopped electing Dixiecrats.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, they supported Wallace in 1968, not Nixon. The southern States did not support Nixon until 1972, by which time those southern States were already voting Republican, and not Democrat.

However, that would change once again in 1976, after Watergate. Southern voters did not trust the GOP after Watergate. Which is how Carter got elected.
Correct. I'd actually forgotten about Wallace. If i'm not mistaken, Wallace didn't run as a Democrat in '68 though. I need to look that up.

I do wonder sometimes how far Wallace would've gotten in '72 though i can't see him beating Nixon.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Correct. I'd actually forgotten about Wallace. If i'm not mistaken, Wallace didn't run as a Democrat in '68 though. I need to look that up.

I do wonder sometimes how far Wallace would've gotten in '72 though i can't see him beating Nixon.
You are correct, Wallace ran as an Independent in 1968 because he lost the Democrat nomination to Humphrey.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
It is not a meme. It is simply a fact of history. Racists did indeed defect to the Republican Party in droves because Democrats backed equal rights for blacks. Prior to that racist southerners would not vote for Republicans because of the Civil War but after the voting rights act they switched parties to Republicans. That is an extremely well documented fact.

You Republicans are becoming a lot like Muslims trying to pretend the Holocaust never happened. Facts do matter and your opinions, wishes, and dreams do not equal facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies