Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:00 AM

46,177 posts, read 26,897,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I know, it's just a rather large coincidence that the CDC's funding decreased relative to gun issues, wouldn't want them meddling in national safety issues. No pressure from the pro-gun advocates at the NRA and others. Child safety caps on aspirin no problem but guns, forget about it.
Provide the link...or are you scared? Why would you quote something and not provide the link?

You have stated NOTHING, that proves you point....

Why did the funding go down?

Quote:
CDC funding into gun violence research has plummeted 96 percent since 1996,
to just $100,000 of last year's $5.6 billion CDC budget.

Asked if gun violence a legitimate public health issue Bob Barr, a former
Georgia congressman who sits on the board of the NRA, responded, "Absolutely
not."

Barr added: "The issue of firearms violence is handled and ought to be
handled as a law enforcement matter. We don't need government involved in this.
It is all about the big C: control."
So, it's the NRA's fault that the funding has fallen 96%....lol...provide a link to back up what you say or you are just pewing leftist nonsense like a good little sheeple...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM

56,939 posts, read 25,881,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Hello!!!

CDC Center for Disease Control interest in injuries zero, nilch, nada, unless infected...

NIH National Institute of Health interest in injuries significant...

1996 funding for CDC to produce research for injuries caused by firearms was blocked by congress.

NOTHING PREVENTED THE NIH FROM DOING SUCH STUDIES EVER.

So tell me again how the NRA prevented studies into gun violence and health issues? I've already provided you with one example of an NIH funded study from the period the CDC could not fund that research. Maybe instead of saying "The NRA did this" you might want to look at why the NIH did not do this if, as you say, it's so critical.

Just for personal interest, do you complain to your electrician about the state of your roof? Because this is the logical analogy of what you're complaining about, the NRA, even if they did prevent research by the CDC for nefarious reasons, only ensured your electrician would not give a professional opinion on the state of your roof.
The CDC most certainly has an interest in injuries and deaths, more than just disease related, they investigate vehicle accidents, drowning, but at least you admit that the NRA was responsible for pulling their funding relative to gun deaths back in 1996. So do you think that congress just woke up one morning and decided that they needed to prevent CDC from providing research in one area, why not pull funding on studies relative to poisoning, rather odd don't you think.

So the NIH was able to get around the defunding to do 1 study, if NIH took on a major undertaking do you think the NRA might have noticed?

Quote:
The CDC isn't allowed to pursue many kinds of gun research due to the lobbying
strength of the National Rifle Association. As a result of the National Rifle Association's lobbying efforts, governmental research into gun mortality has shrunk by 96 percent since the mid-1990s,
according to Reuters.

Prior to 1996, the Center for Disease Control funded research into
the causes of firearm-related deaths. After a series of articles
finding that increased prevalence of guns lead to increased incidents
of gun violence, Republicans sought to remove all federal funding for
research into gun deaths.

Read more: How The NRA Kills Gun Violence Research - Business Insider

Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
The CDC can investigate anything they want. They get a budget and they decide what to do with the money.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,884,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
collateral damage.
I'd like to know how many of these people have jobs, on welfare, or just plain neglect of their children in the first place.

I've been shooting since I was 7 and both my boys have been shooting since the same age. Never one accident and they know what a gun can do. No law abiding gun owner leaves their gun where a child can handle it with out supervision......you should know this, if you wasn't so anti-gun!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,738,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I'd like to know how many of these people have jobs, on welfare, or just plain neglect of their children in the first place.

I've been shooting since I was 7 and both my boys have been shooting since the same age. Never one accident and they know what a gun can do. No law abiding gun owner leaves their gun where a child can handle it with out supervision......you should know this, if you wasn't so anti-gun!

The last thing rabid anti-gun zealots (and make no mistake, that's what they are) want are kids trained to use firearms. There used to be classes in firearm safety and rifle-shooting many years ago, and not just in rural schools, either.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The last thing rabid anti-gun zealots (and make no mistake, that's what they are) want are kids trained to use firearms. There used to be classes in firearm safety and rifle-shooting many years ago, and not just in rural schools, either.
Yes then they think we're stupid enough to believe these "hidden tolls" are from responsible parents in the first place.
My dad taught me and when I was 12 like all other kids in my town I took hunter safety,this is the way it should be. Although I don't hunt, target practicing is a fun hobby and should remain an American right.

There was a time when guns were kept out of the hands of children.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM

14,858 posts, read 8,158,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Of course you can. But only one of the many things that kills children is a weapon whose purpose is to kill.

Next specious argument?

While I understand that every childs death is sad. And we should take all reasonable steps to protect children.

I don't think accidental gun deaths are a big issue.

Look at it like this, according to this article.. "In 2011, the most recent year with available data, the agency estimated that there were 847 unintentional nonfatal firearm injuries among children 14 and under."

But lets break this down into something that makes me sense.

http://www.childrensdefense.org/chil...s/violence.pdf

In 2007, 3042 people 18 or under died from guns. Of those 3042 gun-related deaths, only 198 were accidental(6.5%). And of those 3,042 deaths, only 397 were aged 14 or younger. If 6.5% of all deaths 14 or younger were accidental. Thats only 25 deaths. But I doubt that is the correct number. Since people 14 or younger aren't going to be using guns to kill themselves. And are far less likely to be the victim of a homicide.

The number of gun deaths for all people 0-18 years of age in 2000 was 174. For people under the age of 14, that number is probably closer to 100 or less.

Well, lets compare using this chart.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...oup_2010-a.pdf

According to that chart, there were 4,147 accidental deaths in 2010 of people under the age of 14. Which means, gun-related accidental death represents about 2-2.5% of all accidental deaths of children.

National Child Mortality Data

This chart says that there were 11,560 total accidental deaths of people 18 or younger. Of those deaths, only 138 were from firearms. Which is about 1.2% of all deaths of people 18 or younger are from firearms. There are 48 times as many accidental motor-vehicle deaths than there are accidental gun deaths of people 18 year or younger.

There are nearly 8 times more children who drown each year, than there are children who die accidentally from guns. There are 7 times more children who die from accidental poisoning, than there are children who die accidentally from guns. And I could go on and on.

And these other deaths are not anymore necessary than the firearm related deaths. What are you going to do about those other deaths? Ban cars?

I understand that guns are designed to be deadly. But their only purpose isn't to kill. Their primary purpose is actually to protect. It will be hard to find a gun owner who ever wants to shoot their gun at a person. It is there to protect them. In the same way someone might carry pepper spray or a stick for protection. A gun is just far more effective than stick and stones and pepper spray. If you can create a non-lethal alternative to guns, which is just as effective at stopping bad guys. Then I can guarantee you that most people who carry guns for protection, will switch.

Until then, you have to recognize that the world isn't perfect. And the world will never be perfect. And you have to recognize that "evils" are simply necessary. Because they prevent even greater evils.

For instance, how many innocent people do the police kill each year? I remember recently, there was a man in his own home who was killed when the police showed up to raid his house in the middle of the night. And even worse, they had the wrong house.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...han-armed.html

The point is, lets keep everything in perspective. And lets focus on things we can "fix".

The real problem is crime, not guns. If people were better people, there would be less need to protect yourself. How do we make people better people?

And secondly, what should be done about the 35,000 people who die every year from car-accidents? I'm personally in favor of more private roads. Of course, I'm for privatizing basically everything.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM

56,939 posts, read 25,881,306 times
Fair points and yes it is a small amount but in the case of swimming pools, cars even aspirin bottles action was taken, how many children were harmed by aspirin as a percentage. The issue is lobbying groups using pressure to avoid meaningful statistics and solutions.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fair points and yes it is a small amount but in the case of swimming pools, cars even aspirin bottles action was taken, how many children were harmed by aspirin as a percentage. The issue is lobbying groups using pressure to avoid meaningful statistics and solutions.
Crazy people will make bombs....even if the left was able to clear the world of guns violence will happen. Sick people seem to be multiplying.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,967,848 times
How many kids die in swimming pools, or choking on chicken? You don't have a constitutional right to any of those. Keep your damn hands off my guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies