Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

The most under-taught subject in America - CNN iReport

The average college graduate, with an average 2013 starting salary of $44,928, is making more in annual income than 99.63% of the world’s workers (according to globalrichlist.com). In the U .S. most of us aren’t living paycheck to paycheck because we don’t make enough money. We are living paycheck to paycheck because we let our spending dictate our savings

I heard my sister one day moaning about how she cant live on what she earns.. I did her taxes one year and was shocked that she earns 50% more than I do, and she cant afford an apartment, while I've got multiple homes..

Why are americans so illiterate in regards to economics and budgeting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
I have an even better question. Adjusted for PPP, American salaries are in the top 5 or so, have the lowest taxes, but we are #27 in median wealth. I don't see how we can be so low if we aren't spending too much.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

The average college graduate, with an average 2013 starting salary of $44,928, is making more in annual income than 99.63% of the world’s workers (according to globalrichlist.com). In the U .S. most of us aren’t living paycheck to paycheck because we don’t make enough money. We are living paycheck to paycheck because we let our spending dictate our savings

I heard my sister one day moaning about how she cant live on what she earns.. I did her taxes one year and was shocked that she earns 50% more than I do, and she cant afford an apartment, while I've got multiple homes..

Notice they don't teach personal finance in government schools.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:

Americans are bombarded with consumerism all day every day. Advertising is everywhere and there's a "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect to American culture that encourages spending. Materialism has always been an American value. It's what drives our economy. Well - materialism drives every economy, but I mean it drives our economy to heights other nations haven't ever seen.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Americans are bombarded with consumerism all day every day. Advertising is everywhere and there's a "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect to American culture that encourages spending. Materialism has always been an American value. It's what drives our economy. Well - materialism drives every economy, but I mean it drives our economy to heights other nations haven't ever seen.
Yes Americans are bombarded with consumerism but the difference is some people understand that they can't afford it others don't care and buy it anyway then blame the disaster on everyone else.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yep, just like Americans are bombarded with Obama rhetoric aimed right at people who's financial house is a mess.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes Americans are bombarded with consumerism but the difference is some people understand that they can't afford it others don't care and buy it anyway then blame the disaster on everyone else.
Correct some understand the need to live within our means and others? Well they believe that over spending using credit cards is okay.
The idea of saving for a new toy is a thing of the past.
I know a good many people who finance their annual vacations.
We all know people who finance 100% of the value of their cars, trade in 3 and repeat the stupidity.
Houes. Minimum down go adjustable rate then weep when the rate goes up and they can no longer afford the mortgage.
Kids need smart phones, no maybe to it and so they get the top shelf Iphones. I know people who pay in excess of $300.00 a month for cell phones alone. Insane. Me? I have a $10.00 track phone pay as you go I have to buy minutes every few months to keep the number. I have never used all my minutes. I only have it so my wife has a way to call me when I am out. It makes her feel better, there for my life is better.
She has a smart phone $80.00 a month. LOL I make her pay her own phone bill.
I live by a few rules when it comes to money and purchases.
1. Worth having, worth saving for.
2. Never finance a car more than 48 months and always pay it off early.
3. Keep your car no less than 8 years. Buy with resale value in mind.
4. Never charge on a credit card what you can't payoff in 1 month.
Savings. always put money into savings, even if it is only a few dollars. Make it a habit.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Notice they don't teach personal finance in government schools.
15 states REQUIRE taking a personal finance course, most that don't still have them as optional courses.

More schools require students to learn personal finance - USATODAY.com

Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:

I really question the stat that college grads are averaging $44,928 upon graduation. I really, really question that number.

I don't know hardly anybody making that much and they have been out of college for quite a while now.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I really question the stat that college grads are averaging $44,928 upon graduation. I really, really question that number.

I don't know hardly anybody making that much and they have been out of college for quite a while now.
LOL I make nearly double that and I dont have a college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies