Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They break into collectors houses ALL THE TIME!! Timothy McVeigh and his friend made money from a collector's house that they stole from!

Give me a break! THEY ARE CRIMINALS! THEY WANT GUNS!!!!!!! Of course they break into houses with guns. Those are BETTER than the houses without guns.

All I can say is: Start reading on the Internet. There are loads of stories for you.
For carefully planned burglaries, the presence of firearms is probably a wash.
Some are bold enough to try it, others are deterred by it.

For home invasions, the known presence of a firearm is a universal deterrent.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM

294 posts, read 437,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
So we should stop listening to dispatchers now because you want to justify this hick's murder of two people?

How convenient.
first off it wasnt murder, did they or did they not approach him on his property?

that constitutes a threat...if he felt at that point he was being threatened...

ok you say he should have stayed inside...he didnt he didnt let the criminals dictate the action....aginst what a dispatcher said...

so get off the holier then thou kick filled with insults.

the simple fact is dispatcher "USUALLY ARENT COPS" and they are usually not tactically proficient... they arent meant to be advisors they are meant to take reports and DISPATCH authorities where needed and provide a link of higher communication...

that was my point but if you are going to get so butthurt over that...

hick, maybe but pasadena aint really a hick town....I would take a hick over some ass hat city slicker any day

Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Where do you live? I'm in Los Angeles and I'm not so scared!

Years ago, I lived in an apartment in another city where my roommate was raped. It was a stranger rape (we didn't know him). He woke her up and threatened her with a knife and the cord from her lamp. Ever since then, I think your best offense is a good defense. I always make sure my windows lock really well (which was how this guy got in).

The last apartment house I lived in had super-thin walls. (The guy next door cleared his throat once and I thought he was sitting outside my open window. It was almost like he was in bed with me.) In that apartment, the joke was, I could tap on the wall and whisper "I need you" and he would hear me loud and clear and come rushing over.

Given "typical LA conditions" I think a gun is not a good thing to have. I'd be afraid of being disarmed. I'd be afraid of shooting my neighbors (because they are up, down, and all around me). Because the neighbors are so close -- your best defense is "good neighbors." I don't think having a gun is practical in LA. We have tons of cops around here and I don't see why I really need one. I think it takes them less than 2 minutes to respond to the average call.

I really think owning a gun is a bad thing in a city with high density like this. If you have neighbors up, down, and on all 4 sides of you -- you really need to make sure that you have "weak" bullets. Your chances of killing an innocent neighbor are highly increased in that situation.
UB50 I can totally relate to the reasons why you would not have a gun...but I on the other hand, am a single women, who stayed living in a neighborhood that turned bad, to protect my mom, and also help take care of her....

Our neighbors here are not really reliable...and kinda what you'd refer to as low life boarder line theives, and one was a murderer.

These people living here are not your average human beings...and it's not that they are simply poor, they are low life...alchoholics...and the other bragged about how he made a living out of breaking in homes....

I plan on moving out very soon..but until then, the only person I have to depend on, and want to depend on is me.

I didn't play the tough guy, but you could hear me 20 blocks away if someone ruffled my feathers. I am known to all, to be a very privet person, who will not take any crap from anyone...and that was on purpose, cuz I didn't want anyone thinking they could take advantage of my mom. We had one neighbor here who was a real low life...he engratiated himself on old women and cried and cried poor so they would feel sorry for him and give him money....

So, you see, this is coming from a woman who has been around guns all her life, who has hunted, and whose family are all gun owners and would protect me with their lives...it's just how we are. We're not illiterate, or mountain people or dumb bears...LOL....actually, I work for a very large corporation and am a career woman....but tough...and I can be a real handful....have had some pretty close calls and some bad experiences....and after a while, there are just some people in this world you cannot be nice to...or they'll stab you in the back...for a few bucks.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
I just wanted to post something about that 50 caliber ammunition that they outlawed in LA (or maybe California -- I don't know). That stuff will go through two police cars -- so imagine what it will do to cheap apartment drywall. You could probably shoot through 10 apartments!

How scary is that? 10 apartments with people in them? Maybe people need this kind of ammunition in Montana BUT PLEASE KEEP IT OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!

My feeling on Second Amendment rights is that your rights end where my life begins. I can't smoke in a lot of areas because of fears of "second hand smoke" -- what about fears of second hand bullets? Sorry, but if smoke can kill, bullets can too and you need to stop the habit.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
I just wanted to post something about that 50 caliber ammunition that they outlawed in LA (or maybe California -- I don't know). That stuff will go through two police cars -- so imagine what it will do to cheap apartment drywall. You could probably shoot through 10 apartments!

How scary is that? 10 apartments with people in them? Maybe people need this kind of ammunition in Montana BUT PLEASE KEEP IT OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!

My feeling on Second Amendment rights is that your rights end where my life begins. I can't smoke in a lot of areas because of fears of "second hand smoke" -- what about fears of second hand bullets? Sorry, but if smoke can kill, bullets can too and you need to stop the habit.
Yeah, I heard about those bullets a long time ago....sad...but, in the same, bullets can kill, and so do people who have no respect for life....I don't know any body who owns a gun like that...but they're out there...and for real....and they would not hesitate to shoot you for a dollar bill, cuz drugs makes them into animals, and so does desperation and poverty.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Two things here.
Keep in mind that you're deciding not to be a gun owner based on your own fears (which may or may not be valid) and your own circumstances.
In my opinion, you absolutely have the right to make that decision... it's only when people like you start to use those same lines of reason to deny others the right to defend themselves is when you go to far.

Also, keep in mind that the police have absolutely no responsibility to protect the "individual". It's completely clear in American case law, starting with Warren v. District of Columbia where a woman and her roommates were repeatedly raped and brutalized over hours while the police responding to 911 calls about the screams simply "drove by" without bothering to see what was going on inside.

More info here: PublicRights.org - Police NO RESPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT Individual SAFETY

So, yes, it's great if you have a solid police presence in LA, however, bear in mind that your own protection is up to you, not them. The courts say so.
I DO want to deny local gun owners the rights to own that high caliber ammunition. They don't need it to stop criminals and it puts so many people in danger (considering that housing is so close together here).

Otherwise, I don't care. Get a gun if you want one.

My rights (and your rights) end at my wall. If your bullets don't go through my wall -- then we have no problems!!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Just because you have no gun doesn't mean you don't have weapons... Mace and pepper spray are weapons.

I have seen people who have been hit with military grade OC (pepper spray) and can still function just fine in a fight (better then me). I know (although it felt like satan was pissing on my face) i was able to fight through a course with it sprayed in my face (part of the qualification to be certified to carry it). it hurts like a ***** but does not incapacitate some people

An iron skillet can be a weapon. Knives are weapons. Steel tipped darts can be weapons. An exacto knife can be a tremendous weapon. A can of hairspray can be a weapon.

concur

The terrorists on the 9/11 flights used box cutters as weapons.

becasue the norm was to let the terrorist do what they want and then release the hostages in the end. this is the perfect example as to why they were able to pull it off. only when people realized thaht they were going to die anyway, did they react....that my friend is the victim mentallity i spoke of earlier...it can be related to this scenario as well

There are lots and lots of weapons. A gun is only one of them.
but when the bad guys have the guns, those weapons arent nearly as effective...

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
I DO want to deny local gun owners the rights to own that high caliber ammunition. They don't need it to stop criminals and it puts so many people in danger (considering that housing is so close together here).

Otherwise, I don't care. Get a gun if you want one.

My rights (and your rights) end at my wall. If your bullets don't go through my wall -- then we have no problems!!
I share walls with a lovely young black woman and a family with 2 kids under age 8. I wouldn't want to harm them in any way, so the Glock in the house is loaded with hollow point bullets. It's a projectile that is far less likely to go through the bad guy, through the wall, and hurt one of my neighbors. It's a .40 caliber gun which is a bit larger than what I'd choose; I'd have chosen a 9mm. It's hard to work the slider on it; it is kept loaded but without a round in the chamber.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
For home invasions, the known presence of a firearm is a universal deterrent.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha! For the homeowner, it's a deterent! For the person doing the home invasion -- it's not a deterent! Do a Google search for "home invasion" and "guns"

Old 11-21-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see lazy irresponsible gun owners punished whenever their stolen weapon is used to commit a crime. If you can't keep your guns out of the hands of criminals, you don't deserve to have any guns.

Is that too mean?
if this werent such a sarcastic argument, i would agree. those that choose to own firearms should be held accountable for any actions that could be reasonable considered irresponsible.

and i have no problem with those punishments being severe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies