Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 06:07 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I just wanted to post something about that 50 caliber ammunition that they outlawed in LA (or maybe California -- I don't know). That stuff will go through two police cars -- so imagine what it will do to cheap apartment drywall. You could probably shoot through 10 apartments!

How scary is that? 10 apartments with people in them? Maybe people need this kind of ammunition in Montana BUT PLEASE KEEP IT OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!

My feeling on Second Amendment rights is that your rights end where my life begins. I can't smoke in a lot of areas because of fears of "second hand smoke" -- what about fears of second hand bullets? Sorry, but if smoke can kill, bullets can too and you need to stop the habit.
Huge misunderstanding; you're showing that you've fallen prey to media hype and histrionics.

.50 BMG's are absurdly large (often times, over 5' long) heavy (often times over 40#), expensive ($3500-$10,000) specialty target rifles. They exist in relatively small numbers in the gun community and represent a near total absence from criminal activity (because they're huge and expensive)

The media made them into a biiiiig scawee boogie man, and people who were predisposed to dislike guns or people like yourself who really don't understand them bought the lies and hyperbole hook, line and sinker (because after all... no matter what you say, deep down, you really believe that no one "needs" guns anyway, so if they take a few away, no biggie, right?)

Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
For carefully planned burglaries, the presence of firearms is probably a wash.
Some are bold enough to try it, others are deterred by it.

For home invasions, the known presence of a firearm is a universal deterrent.
Check it out. Do a Google search for "home Invasion" and "guns"

I don't see where it is a deterent.

Also, the whole USA hasn't seen home invasion robberies yet -- so I don't know how valid data is at this point. It's kind of like when only LA had driveby shootings: No one cared about them until they became the rage everywhere!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,752 times
Quote:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha! For the homeowner, it's a deterent! For the person doing the home invasion -- it's not a deterent! Do a Google search for "home invasion" and "guns"
OK, I just did a google search for home invasion and guns.

Quote:
Results 1 - 10 of about 148,000 for "Home invasion"+"guns"
Do you have a point to make, or are you one of those people who think that citing the existence of google is enough to "prove" your point? Keep in mind that anomaly, while having a profound impact on the 'weaker minds' amongst us, doesn't prove anything.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
UB50 I can totally relate to the reasons why you would not have a gun...but I on the other hand, am a single women, who stayed living in a neighborhood that turned bad, to protect my mom, and also help take care of her....

Our neighbors here are not really reliable...and kinda what you'd refer to as low life boarder line theives, and one was a murderer.

These people living here are not your average human beings...and it's not that they are simply poor, they are low life...alchoholics...and the other bragged about how he made a living out of breaking in homes....

I plan on moving out very soon..but until then, the only person I have to depend on, and want to depend on is me.

I didn't play the tough guy, but you could hear me 20 blocks away if someone ruffled my feathers. I am known to all, to be a very privet person, who will not take any crap from anyone...and that was on purpose, cuz I didn't want anyone thinking they could take advantage of my mom. We had one neighbor here who was a real low life...he engratiated himself on old women and cried and cried poor so they would feel sorry for him and give him money....

So, you see, this is coming from a woman who has been around guns all her life, who has hunted, and whose family are all gun owners and would protect me with their lives...it's just how we are. We're not illiterate, or mountain people or dumb bears...LOL....actually, I work for a very large corporation and am a career woman....but tough...and I can be a real handful....have had some pretty close calls and some bad experiences....and after a while, there are just some people in this world you cannot be nice to...or they'll stab you in the back...for a few bucks.
All neighborhoods are not the same. But if you lived in a good neighborhood like mine, would you still want to have a gun? I'd worry so much about hitting a neighbor with a stray shot -- it wouldn't be worth it. I have too many good neighbors and not enough bad.

You might feel fine with guns -- but once you moved here and saw how close your neighbors were to you, you might not feel the same way.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 PM

294 posts, read 437,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
Ok tough guy, if you are so hip on killing people why don't you join back up and go to Iraq?...

becasue i spent a majority of my adult life away from my wife and kids serving and now its time to be a home a little...i did my time.

secondly. ****caution pro war statement*****
all my guys who are back over there said I shouldnt waste my time simply becasue they are bored to tears right now and nothing is happening compared to the last time we were there (this is in the Sunni triangle mainly, a little from baghdad). things have improved dramatically...

third....i am working on re-entering the service and if i do end up going...well that is what i am there but they do not have a rotation for me as of yet probably not till late 2008...

I hear they need people. If not, then I am all for you and the rest of the internet tough guy keyboard commandos going and starting your own society where you can kill people for "takin' my stuff" and you can continue to familiarize yourselves with "violence, crimes, criminals (terrorist) and death".... ..

these things exist all over but you are to blind to realize this. and as long as they do i am willing to kill over it as long as its in the right...

I am pretty confident the majority of us want to live in a civilized society where we let the professionals we pay take care of the crimes (except in life-threatening circumstances of course.)

then you should start your own little society where all of you can wait on someone else to do something for you

Friend i am trying to be civil, i am not a internet tough guy, I am a tough guy though and I can prove this over and over again in real life.

the reason the rest of society can live relatively civilized is becasue people like me have the balls to stand up for people who wont take action to protect themselves and there neighbors, additionally keep them seperated from people who would otherwise do you harm. but we cannot take care everything all the time, so that means you might have to do something yourself....and if somebody like this guy kills two CRIMINALS in these circumstances...hey our jobs are easier

Oh and I love this one:

So you know this guy and can vouch for his RESPONSIBLE citizen status?

can you vouch for him being an irresponsible citizen? what i see is a guy who was trying to protect his neighbors possesions from criminals at his own risk (responsible), yet smart enough to call the authorities (responsible) who could not respond in time...so yeah i will vouch for him...me personally right wrong or indifferent dont think i would have called the police immediatley like he did.

C'mon dude, think with your head for a minute...and I mean the one on your shoulders.
i have been thinking with my appropriate head, but if you quit being such a butthurt girl you might see that instead of coming back with personal attacks, name calling and accusations.

no offense to the ladies here BTW

Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
All neighborhoods are not the same. But if you lived in a good neighborhood like mine, would you still want to have a gun?
I live is a fantastic neighborhood - and, I own a gun (actually, a number of them). One is loaded and by the bedside. Would I be afraid to use it? No.

I can give you the plot number of someone who found that out -

Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I share walls with a lovely young black woman and a family with 2 kids under age 8. I wouldn't want to harm them in any way, so the Glock in the house is loaded with hollow point bullets. It's a projectile that is far less likely to go through the bad guy, through the wall, and hurt one of my neighbors. It's a .40 caliber gun which is a bit larger than what I'd choose; I'd have chosen a 9mm. It's hard to work the slider on it; it is kept loaded but without a round in the chamber.
Bravo for you! Start practicing and you'll be able to drill those bullets exactly where you want them to go!

I really love to hear about people downgrading their bullets in an effort to not kill their neighbors.... That might sound dumb to some people -- but I think it's critical in cities.

I'm giving you my gold star!!!!!~

Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Bravo for you! Start practicing and you'll be able to drill those bullets exactly where you want them to go!

I really love to hear about people downgrading their bullets in an effort to not kill their neighbors.... That might sound dumb to some people -- but I think it's critical in cities.

I'm giving you my gold star!!!!!~
Thanks! The first time I went shooting I got almost all the shots inside the 8 ring, and that's with terrible vision and astigmatism!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post
if this werent such a sarcastic argument, i would agree. those that choose to own firearms should be held accountable for any actions that could be reasonable considered irresponsible.

and i have no problem with those punishments being severe
I think what really got me was the old guy who had his AK-47 stolen in Orlando. The police recovered it and he wanted to know when he could get it back.

You know? In my book, he'd never get it back. Dumb idiot -- had an AK-47 stolen -- what a jerk. Who-the-hell leaves an AK-47 around for people to steal?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 PM

294 posts, read 437,540 times
Quote:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha! For the homeowner, it's a deterent! For the person doing the home invasion -- it's not a deterent! Do a Google search for "home invasion" and "guns"

did that search and well everything i found says otherwise, and the case where the owners did have guns but by local law restricting it too safes made it impractical.....

i can see other way.

you might be targeted if you had a gun and the criminal thought you were a pansy

but if you were some "hick" who was willing to kill you...no

and a quote from this website

Home Invasion Prevention (broken link)

"Finally, not fighting back against an attack is exactly what an assailant is hoping"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies