Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I like some corporations; I don't like corporate collusion or corporate welfare. Chemical weapons are pretty nasty too.

Appointing Michael Taylor to be the Head of the FDA is a blantant conflict of interest. Subsidizing GMO corn so much that Mexican organic farmers cannot compete in the colluded market is not free market Capitalism. Passing an act blatantly named "The Monsanto Protection Act" to restrict lawsuits from consumers is collusion. You are blinded by your own beliefs if you see otherwise.
Those things are indeed examples of conflict of interest. However, the bigger one is the fact that the govt is controlling shareholder of companies like Monsanto imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
OP...it bothers you that much that there are people that oppose GMO's...why?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
OP...it bothers you that much that there are people that oppose GMO's...why?
I'll answer that - it's because many people have no idea what GMOs are, and many are just taking the word of others on a soap box preying on their fears and misconceptions.

I don't think you realize how mush we will need GMOs in the future. Populations around the world are growing rapidly, and farmland is shrinking every year. In order to feed the planet we will need more efficient crops, and we need a solution to fight new pests that are appearing every year.

GMOs are a spectacular advancement in science that allows us with precision to combine the best traits of organisms for the benefit of human kind. It is vitally important that people educate themselves on the subject instead of relying on junk science

Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you could make a solid case for that.

there are no specific subsidies for GMO corn.

there is no act named 'the monsanto protection act'. nor are lawsuits in any way restricted.
Corn in the US is 90% GMO, so in effect they are subsidizing GMO corn.

Monsanto's patented gene alone is in 80% of all US corn.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:

the govt. subsidizes corn, period. whether it is GMO or not is not a consideration.

you didn't bother addressing the fact that there is no act named 'the monsanto protection act'. nor are lawsuits in any way restricted.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Those numbers don't sound right, but putting that aside I think a better use of your time & efforts would be to lobby against the patenting of genes. Genes or the assembly thereof should not become the property of any person or organization. I can see the argument for spending a lot on R&D to find winning combinations, but even then there should be a short exclusivity period (maybe 10 years) to monetize that investment before it goes into the public domain.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Excellent article, see how much of it sounds familiar and is used in numerous anti-whatever threads started in this forum...

Date of article: 2013/09/16

The best?

Either the above or the person making the claim flat out never responds to any queries concerning supporting evidence...

The bad science checklist of GMO opponents

I am posting this in the hopes people will read it and we never have another GMO (or any) thread filled with exactly what is mentioned in this article.
Always the same usual suspects promoting the propaganda .... what a tool!!!

The facts are, GMO products have undergone no significant safety testing at all. However, independent researchers ... read: not research funded by monsanto and conducted by their shills .... have witnessed severe health effects in animals fed GMO ... development of massive tumors in lab rats .. a very common starting point for safety research prior to using humans as lab rats!!!!

But, aside that fact ... it takes very little in terms of intelligence to read the technical literature on these various GMO products that produce their own toxins, and thusly, the insects and pests either won't eat it, or die from eating it. That's what "toxins" tend to do, if they are toxic enough. To then be able to extrapolate this information, coming to the only logical conclusion that if YOU EAT IT ... you are consuming THOSE TOXINS TOO. And if these products produce massive tumors in rats .... you have a slightly reddish colored flag waving over your God damned head ... which you seem to refuse to use (the head, not the flag)

Then you post this tripe .... the common "Debunking" garbage that litters mainstream channels with it's Orwellian NONSENSE .... and are apparently incapable of identifying the absurdity of the rather lame debunking attempt that could only make an positive impact on someone with an IQ of a common, non-GMO ear of corn (if you can even find such a thing anymore).

But, for the benefit of others who might be fooled by such transparently juvenile and asinine nonsense, lets look at a couple of real EASY ones in your linked TRASH NONSENSE:

Conflating Correlation With Causation Rooster Syndrome
The infamous Post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy, which is essentially a belief that because a second event follows the first, the first event must be the cause of the second. So, just so you know, GMO’s cause autism. Oh wait, everything causes autism.

Aside the mind numbing ignorance of invoking the "correlation does not equal causation " argument in context to product safety testing which uses that EXACT methodology, where in a controlled environment, one test group are given GMO food, while the control group are not fed such product ... and the GMO consuming group develop massive tumors, while the control group does not ... this IS the entire purpose of such testing, and those tumors are not "unrelated" ... in this context "correlation DOES INDEED equal causation ... and demands further testing and precludes any possible claim of safety.

But let's not overlook the dripping irony here also ... in the use of a "Straw Man Argument" like "GMO Causes Autism" ... coupled with Straw Man Sarcasm "Wait, Everything Causes Autism" to defeat it ..... no ... the arguments citing severe health risks associated with GMO consumption have NOTHING TO DO WITH AUTISM .... nor has a single soul EVER suggested the absurd claim that "everything causes autism". But, aside the idiocy of the content itself, why would anyone with two or more brain cells use such "Straw Man Arguments" when on the very next item on their list .... wait for it .... they cite opponents use of Straw Man Arguments??? Is the author a complete idiot .. or does he believe his readers are morons? Here is the next "debunking" item:

Straw man: crushing concocted canards

Another favorite logical fallacy of pseudoscience pushers, the Strawman Argument. Remember, all logical fallacies exist because one side of the argument completely lacks any evidence. The strawman argument is a method by which one side invents a position or quality about the other side, then proceeds to destroy that invented position. Monsanto, again, is the King Strawman for the GMO crowd. Like I mentioned above, there are probably some valid reasons to dislike Monsanto, but the invented belief that Monsanto is ruthless about harming human beings is unsupported by any evidence whatsoever.

Reread the previous garbage and this explains the Straw Man argument used perfectly .... GMO Causes Autism ... followed by ... Wait ... Everything Causes Autism.

I won't waste my time highlighting the rest of the garbage in your linked crap. It's crap, and nothing but crap, starting with the premise, followed by all of the incoherent nonsense that follows it.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Those numbers don't sound right, but putting that aside I think a better use of your time & efforts would be to lobby against the patenting of genes. Genes or the assembly thereof should not become the property of any person or organization. I can see the argument for spending a lot on R&D to find winning combinations, but even then there should be a short exclusivity period (maybe 10 years) to monetize that investment before it goes into the public domain.
Why don't they "sound right" to you? Do you have a reason, or some cause to insinuate inaccuracy, or is that just a tactic?

Secondly ... what you have done here is essentially suggest ... "don't waste your time and energy on the gaping hole in the back of the boat, and focus on the small one in the front". As Monsanto's GMO poisons are spreading and infecting the entire biosphere and food chain ... it ain't gonna matter much about patents when you're freaking dead!!

Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
GMO poisons are spreading and infecting the entire biosphere and food chain
shhh! don't say that too loud, the CIA is listening and will come to get you tonight. Make sure to turn off all your lights and hide carefully. Beware of people on the street, most are probably out to get you! There is a massive conspiracy to drug and control us all using vaccinations and mind controlling GMOs, I've confirmed this to be 100% true - the rock in the park told me so! Never trust anybody....

Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
shhh! don't say that too loud, the CIA is listening and will come to get you tonight. Make sure to turn off all your lights and hide carefully. Beware of people on the street, most are probably out to get you! There is a massive conspiracy to drug and control us all using vaccinations and mind controlling GMOs, I've confirmed this to be 100% true - the rock in the park told me so! Never trust anybody....

If you're going to be so juvenile in your debate tactics ... at least get some of the easy stuff right ... I mean, it's even been all over the mainstream news bubba .... it's the NSA that's monitoring everyone ... not the CIA.

Perhaps a tin foil hat would assist you in tuning in a little better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies