Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM

600 posts, read 656,573 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say to eevee that I did not mention in my other posts: I am truly sorry for your loss regarding your mother. I know how it feels to lose loved ones…

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
What is the difference between an American born black and a black of West Indian ancestry after one generation?

Kerry Washington
Colin Powell
Shirley Chisholm
Eric Holder
Glenn Lewis
Robinne Lee
Tatyana Ali
Nia Long
LL Cool J
Nicki Minaj
Notorious B.I.G.

For the most part, they just assimilate into African American culture. The only exception is the Northeast and Florida where there's such a critical mass of West Indians that they have a very discrete community.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
This is unfair. Many of us who are recent Americans feel this way but much of it comes from a place of ignorance. I admire Nigerians who come here and succeed regardless, generally speaking.

You are right that Nigerians are not taught that they can't do anything because of their black or dark-skin, but that same was not true for Black Americans. Black Americans in the past were taught that they could do anything due to their skin and they were often restricted from every little thing for generations upon generations. Such experiences were inflicted upon them by many white Americans. That kind of experience takes a toll on a people. Nigerians were blessed to not have that experience for generations and to see their people in high places. And when it is all said and done, they can look back at Nigeria and a history outside of slavery and despite colonialism...and be proud of their "home."

Caribbean people may have endured slavery and/or indentured labor but the vast majority of us were able to regroup afterward. For us, there was no Jim Crow, though their was colonialism. However, we had our own countries and had the able to reestablish and synthesize new culture. It was and is a different experience.

I agree that excuses should not be made - from any side. A number of black Americans must stop making excuses for their lack of accomplishment during the present. Just like a number of other ethnic groups must stop acting ignorant of the tumultuous history of Black Americans, and that it may take some them a bit longer than other groups to reach higher levels based on what their people have endured. Either way, they have made great strides...strides that benefit all of us and allow so many of us to be here in this nation.

All I'm really trying to say is...be fair.

(And don't forget that "back home" there are lazy people who make excuses for their lack of success as well).
Understood. But how much longer will "Black America" use that as an excuse for the problems within the "black community?" And yes, I'm sorry ... it is an excuse. Institutionalized racism was outlawed in this country 50 years ago. Millions of black Americans have progressed beyond the "stigma" that you describe. So what's holding the other millions back?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,577,732 times
It's called "regionalism". Whites, Asians, and Hispanics do it as well.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 PM

duplicate

Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is the difference between an American born black and a black of West Indian ancestry after one generation?

Kerry Washington
Colin Powell
Shirley Chisholm
Eric Holder
Glenn Lewis
Robinne Lee
Tatyana Ali
Nia Long
LL Cool J
Nicki Minaj
Notorious B.I.G.

For the most part, they just assimilate into African American culture. The only exception is the Northeast and Florida where there's such a critical mass of West Indians that they have a very discrete community.

it depends...

many of your examples were born to parents where one was a Black American and one a black American immigrant.

it largely depends on how these individuals choose to designate or characterize themselves. However, there is a technical distinction between Black and black to varying degrees. as with most social constructs it can get blurry fast...

Old 10-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Understood. But how much longer will "Black America" use that as an excuse for the problems within the "black community?" And yes, I'm sorry ... it is an excuse. Institutionalized racism was outlawed in this country 50 years ago. Millions of black Americans have progressed beyond the "stigma" that you describe. So what's holding the other millions back?

so now we get to your real point/agenda in creating this thread

so you're trying to absolve white-on-black racism due to the fact that theres black-on-black racism

nice try, but its not going to work!

heres what you need to ask yourself if you are truly concerned if you may be racist: if the situation were completely reversed, regarding races in America, would the outcome also be reversed?

if you just can't fathom that if 'whites' had suffered the oppression of slavery and hundreds of years of discrimination, and 'Blacks' were the hegemonic majority during the same time, they would be in the same situation as Blacks are now; well then you're racist!

deal with it!

and fyi, just in case you were unaware; there are millions of 'whites' who are poor and not financially successful! its not just Blacks in that situation...

Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
it depends...

many of your examples were born to parents where one was a Black American and one a black American immigrant.

it largely depends on how these individuals choose to designate or characterize themselves. However, there is a technical distinction between Black and black to varying degrees. as with most social constructs it can get blurry fast...
Not really. I identify as West Indian yet I don't see any real differences between me and my black friends. In fact, I don't think most people would even know I have West Indian heritage until carnival season rolls around.

I also don't think people see any difference between Jay-Z and Biggie Smalls. Or Lil' Kim and Foxy Brown. The latter are (were) completely assimilated into African American culture. Same with Kerry Washington.

When you go to Taj Lounge or Sultra in NYC, there's no way of knowing who's West Indian and who's not. Nor does anyone even care.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM

"Being African American and being Caribbean-American is a huge part of who I am."

-Kerry Washington

Kerry Washington on Being Caribbean-American - myKEEtv-Your Caribbean Talent Network - YouTube

But it would never occur to anyone that she was West Indian if they hadn't read her bio on Wiki.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,266,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Kerry Washington
Colin Powell
Shirley Chisholm
Eric Holder
Glenn Lewis
Robinne Lee
Tatyana Ali
Nia Long
LL Cool J
Nicki Minaj
Notorious B.I.G.

Don't forget Rihanna, a native of Barbados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies