Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I ask all Obama supporters, can you show me one time the memorials were barricaded during a government shut down during any of the past 30 years? If you can show it was done before then there's nothing to argue over. If it's never been done before, then why are they doing this now except for political reasons.
Shutdown: What happens on Day 1 - Sep. 25, 2013

Here you go! The picture at the top of the page is from 1995 when the Lincoln Memorial was barricaded.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The vets are about as relevant to the discussion as Benghazi is. It's over! Yesterday's news. The only ones talking about either are the right wing echo chambers you all live in.
Lol what an idiot. It's an ongoing thing.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I ask all Obama supporters, can you show me one time the memorials were barricaded during a government shut down during any of the past 30 years? If you can show it was done before then there's nothing to argue over. If it's never been done before, then why are they doing this now except for political reasons.
Here ya go.

A 2010 Congressional Research Service report summarized other details of the 1995-1996 government shutdowns, indicating the shutdown impacted all sectors of the economy. Health and welfare services for military veterans were curtailed; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped disease surveillance; new clinical research patients were not accepted at the National Institutes of Health; and toxic waste clean-up work at 609 sites was halted. Other impacts included: the closure of 368 National Park sites resulted in the loss of some seven million visitors; 200,000 applications for passports and 20,000 to 30,000 applications for visas by foreigners went unprocessed each day; U.S. tourism and airline industries incurred millions of dollars in losses; more than 20% of federal contracts, representing $3.7 billion in spending, were affected adversely.[7]

United States federal government shutdown of 1995

Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times
Are you calling this a Shutdown or a Slimdown?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Shutdown: What happens on Day 1 - Sep. 25, 2013

Here you go! The picture at the top of the page is from 1995 when the Lincoln Memorial was barricaded.
ya beat me to it.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was closed probably because all parks are supposed to be closed, but you would think they could leave some stuff open, but then you need someone to come up with a list of stuff to remain open. Why are parks closed? I don't know why they can't just leave the gates open and let people enter at their own risk? Do they worry about vandalism, theft, law suites? Could be. I don't know. It's funny some Republicans tried to suggest Obama personally ordered this particular park closed, whey full well know all parks are closed.
It is math. Shutting down a memorial due to lack of funds, when shutting down the memorial costs more than keeping it open. We wonder why we have a large debt.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What a load of petunia food. Yeah, I see your scenario clearly.

Obama: "Are those pesky veterans trying to storm their memorial? Call out the tanks and flamethrowers! They'll understand that!"
"Stop feeding the puppies in the animal shelters!"
"Keep the IRS personnel who are refusing the tea party 501a tax exempt status on the job, they are considered essential."

Give me a break Kibby. You really can't believe what you're posting, tell me you're just propagandizing?
I totally agree with the propagandizing, but you ignore that it was NOT me that brought "tanks" and "federal troops" into the thread. Why do you have no problem with the poster that actually DID bring it into the thread. My "scenario" is to point out how ludicrous the post was in the first place. A post by a well known Obama follower and supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones
maybe they need a armored tank and federal troops. Closed is closed.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I totally agree with the propagandizing, but you ignore that it was NOT me that brought "tanks" and "federal troops" into the thread. Why do you have no problem with the poster that actually DID bring it into the thread. My "scenario" is to point out how ludicrous the post was in the first place. A post by a well known Obama follower and supporter.
Sorry for that Kibby. I misunderstood the post. Thanks for the clarification. I knew you were better informed on the issues than I let on. No offense intended.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:18 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What about trash pickup or garden maintenance and such?
I think the biggest issue is security.

In the aftermath of the paint vandal earlier this year, at places like the Lincoln Memorial, the government has become more sensitive to the potential risks of 24/7 access when security is not present. I suspect that the National Park Service has revised some of its policies to provide better protection to memorials, and that they are putting up barriers as a stop-gap measure to following the revised policies.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 PM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the biggest issue is security.

In the aftermath of the paint vandal earlier this year, at places like the Lincoln Memorial, the government has become more sensitive to the potential risks of 24/7 access when security is not present. I suspect that the National Park Service has revised some of its policies to provide better protection to memorials, and that they are putting up barriers as a stop-gap measure to following the revised policies.
#1 Gettysburg (part of the NPS) saw an increase in vandalism in the past when they closed the park from 10PM until 6AM. The good people obeyed the curfew, the naughty people won't obey the curfew and then had less people to worry about at night (many good people in the park who might catch them in the act and bust them), which emboldened them to vandalize.

#2 They are still paying for security guards...so far more security guards than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies