Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times

Advertisements

The government is spending MORE MONEY during this shut down than they would if they kept running or, you know, actually shut down, just to make it look like so many horrible things will happen if the government stops paying for them... even though the ONLY reason some of these horrible things are happening is BECAUSE they are paying for them to happen.

Seven stupid things the gov has spent money on for the shut down

I particularly like these ones:

Quote:
Federal agencies, including the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Park Service, have created new splash pages to tell visitors that they don’t have enough money or manpower to maintain their normal websites.
Quote:
In another brilliant move, the National Park Service closed off the parking lot to Mt. Vernon, the home of the country’s first president George Washington. Since Mt. Vernon is privately owned, the NPS can’t shut down the park, so they instead opted to shut down the parking lot at the popular tourist attraction.
Quote:
Marion Park, or the turtle park as it is commonly referred to because of the fake turtles that children like to play on... was blocked off by park officials, but the source suspected that neighborhood moms have been taking down barriers to the park so their children could play there. In response, park officials keep erecting new ones, which the moms promptly tear down.

The park is extremely small and sort of seems pointless to block off.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I was wondering why a federal government 'park ranger' had to be assigned to a privately funded WW11 memorial open air site. They are there to stop criminal behavior of those 92 year old men in wheelchairs if they decide to whip out a can of spray paint to tag the country they were in with graffiti.
While the funding for the memorial was private, the memorial was presented as a gift to the U.S. after it was completed. The Washington monument, the Statue of Liberty, Mt. Rushmore and many of the other monuments were done in exactly the same fashion. Park rangers take care of all of them.

The ranger wasn't there to stop criminal behavior! She's a young woman who looked like she only weighs about 100 lbs. Don't be ridiculous... no one ever thought the vets were going to trash anything. All they did was push aside a couple of the barricade panels.

Because the vets had made the House's shutdown look bad, the House produced an exemption bill that allowed the monument to re-open. The ranger was there to give them the standard tour and lecture, and to oversee the removal of the portable barricades that closed the monument.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Let me repeat that again: the government is trying to make it look like so many horrible things will happen if the government stops paying for them... even though the ONLY reason some of these horrible things are happening is BECAUSE they are paying for them to happen.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Let me repeat that again: the government is trying to make it look like so many horrible things will happen if the government stops paying for them... even though the ONLY reason some of these horrible things are happening is BECAUSE they are paying for them to happen.

The Pueblo Chieftain | Possible shutdown could hurt flood recovery

The nine most painful impacts of a government shutdown

Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
I am moving back to the states at the end of the month, shutdown won't affect me coming back right? flights, customs, renting hotel, apt, getting a house/car
If the shutdown isn't over by then, you may face problems with your passport if it has lapsed or something. It's may be very difficult for you to check this beforehand, as our foreign embassies and consulates have placed most of their workers on furlough due to the shutdown. Customs may also present a problem.

All the rest won't be affected, I'm sure, unless there are some govt. documents you may need for some reason.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But you made a point of saying liberal cell phones instead of just all cellphones. So no you didn't already say that.
No - Harrier said that liberals will be unable to use their cell phones in the wilderness, which is why they will most likely stay in the city.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:13 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And you're that ignorant to not know the President YOU elected sent more security personnel to the memorial than to Benghazi?
Ah, yes... conservative discussion rule #3829:

When all your other logic fails, just invoke "Benghazi!"...

Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ah, yes... conservative discussion rule #3829:

When all your other logic fails, just invoke "Benghazi!"...

You mean kinda like when everything 0bama does fails (which is everything he touches or thinks about touching), invoke Bush! Or like everytime someone disagrees with 0bama and/or his policies, invoke racism!

And so forth.

It's the 0bama worshipper's logic.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
If conservatives are going to get all huffy about the national parks being closed, maybe they should not support sore loser goons who caused the shutdown because they demanded stuff that they couldn't win through the legislative process.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Default It’s Official — the Republican Party Has Now Become the “American Taliban”

Quote:
For years now, liberals have referred to the tea party as the “American Taliban” for their policies which almost certainly would devastate millions of Americans. But for the most part I’ve refused to call them that because, while their partisan obstruction was obvious, the comparisons just seemed a little too radical for me.

Forward Progressives
Ain't no doubt about it now. The USA is in deep **** if we don't maneuver these people out and back under their rocks.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-04-2013 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies