Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
PRUDEN: The cheap tricks of the game

The Park Service appears to be closing streets on mere whim and caprice. The rangers even closed the parking lot at Mount Vernon, where the plantation home of George Washington is a favorite tourist destination. That was after they barred the new World War II Memorial on the Mall to veterans of World War II. But the government does not own Mount Vernon; it is privately owned by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association. The ladies bought it years ago to preserve it as a national memorial. The feds closed access to the parking lots this week, even though the lots are jointly owned with the Mount Vernon ladies. The rangers are from the government, and they’re only here to help.

“It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

This is really what we need. Regular people on the inside disclosing the nonsense that they are told to do. We need more of this.
It took a lot of time, a lot of work and a lot of manpower to find all the parking lots, pull out scenic overlooks, bike trails, walking trails, dog parks, canals, beach fronts, leased concessions, open un-staffed parks, monuments and park benches - even Federal highways ..... to barricade and post signs on.

The Washington Post put up an article (buried in the insider DC column) of the oddities of this particular Government Shutdown ..... never before in our history have we had a President that did this stuff.

The shutdown’s unexpected closures - Washington Post 10/2/13

Odd bit that is not getting much attention at all - a man walked out into the middle of the Mall (that is supposed to be shutdown) yesterday afternoon - poured gasoline on himself and set himself on fire.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The wit displayed on this particular thread is underwhelming, is it not?

LOL! Isn't it ironic that Romney ended up at 47%! Tell me, do you really believe that Democrats do not work and pay taxes? Because, IF that is true - you need to tear yourself away from Fox News and join the real world.
He didn't get that off Fox, Ringo. But, I think he was being facetious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You are aware that a large number of Republicans hate Ted Cruz and what he stands for? Would love nothing better than to rid their party of the cancer otherwise known as the Tea Party?
There you go again! That simply isn't true. How did Ted Cruz get elected?
Besides, he does have the support of the 'Tea Party,' which, contrary to popular opinion, is huge.

The Democrats and the Republican elite hate the 'Tea Party' and try to paint it as yesterdays leftovers, and for all intents and purposes, dead. That just isn't ture. If anything, it is getting stronger. But, that is why they work so hard to demonize it. They hope it will go away. It isn't going anywhere.

Republicans are going to have to wake up and realize that the 'Tea Party' is a huge section of the Republican base. After all, it is the 'Tea Party' that put them in the majority in the House in 2010, and kept them there in 2012. We came very close to winning the Senate. But, thought we did not meet all our goals, we did have big wins in State races all across the nation, and we hold the majority of governorships. That is not something to be discounted.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Tea party Republicans just need to learn to respect the Constitutional rule of law.
What are they doing to counter the Constitution?
Go read the document - you most likely aren't familiar with it - and realize the error in your comment.

BTW...the POTUS circumvents the Constitution all the time. Rolling back the employer mandate portion of ACA is but one example and exempting any from the same act is another. The president does not legislate, congress does.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Traffic controllers stopped working and President Reagan fired every one.

Are you disputing this?
It was against the law for them to go on strike - Reagan gave them time to go back to work or get fired. They didn't believe him - they found out that they were wrong when he fired every last one of them.

Reagan didn't govern by taking polls to decide what to do. The entire world watched a man who said what he meant and then did it. It was one of the greatest things I ever saw.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I only support backpay for federal workers NOT in appointed positions or political positions. Something like below a level 13-14?

I guess that'd make me a meanie?
I'm in favor of those below a 13 getting back pay - there are a lot of drones in the Federal government that have a hard time making it on the lower salaries in the Elite Washington D.C. The 13-14 crowd are the Bonus babies - the people who can tell the drones to Target Republicans for IRS audits and keep them from setting up their 501 tax accounts and then getting a promotion out of the deal.

It won't work that way ..... the Bill will be to give back pay to each and everyone of them.
Read the Northern Virginia and D.C. forums to see what they really think of those that don't live in the Bubble.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm in favor of those below a 13 getting back pay - there are a lot of drones in the Federal government that have a hard time making it on the lower salaries in the Elite Washington D.C. The 13-14 crowd are the Bonus babies - the people who can tell the drones to Target Republicans for IRS audits and keep them from setting up their 501 tax accounts and then getting a promotion out of the deal.

It won't work that way ..... the Bill will be to give back pay to each and everyone of them.
Read the Northern Virginia and D.C. forums to see what they really think of those that don't live in the Bubble.
House just passed backpay bill 407-0.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Default A bill they can all agree on

It is pretty unbelievable that they can all agree to pay those not working, but not a budget to bring them back.

Quoted from the Washington Post:

With the partial shutdown entering its fifth day, the GOP-run House passed a bill Saturday that would make sure the furloughed workers get paid for not working. The White House backs the bill and the Senate was expected to OK it, too, but the timing was unclear.
The 407-0 vote in the House was uniquely bipartisan, even as lawmakers continued their partisan rhetoric.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It took a lot of time, a lot of work and a lot of manpower to find all the parking lots, pull out scenic overlooks, bike trails, walking trails, dog parks, canals, beach fronts, leased concessions, open un-staffed parks, monuments and park benches - even Federal highways ..... to barricade and post signs on.

The Washington Post put up an article (buried in the insider DC column) of the oddities of this particular Government Shutdown ..... never before in our history have we had a President that did this stuff.

The shutdown’s unexpected closures - Washington Post 10/2/13

Odd bit that is not getting much attention at all - a man walked out into the middle of the Mall (that is supposed to be shutdown) yesterday afternoon - poured gasoline on himself and set himself on fire.
Good reporting would be delving into why this man set himself on fire, and why the woman drove into barracades in Washington. That's the rest of the story we will never hear.
Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Towns, States Are Ponying Up to Keep National Parks Open - WSJ.com
states offer to take over national parks at their own expense and Obama refuses.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It is pretty unbelievable that they can all agree to pay those not working, but not a budget to bring them back.

Quoted from the Washington Post:

With the partial shutdown entering its fifth day, the GOP-run House passed a bill Saturday that would make sure the furloughed workers get paid for not working. The White House backs the bill and the Senate was expected to OK it, too, but the timing was unclear.
The 407-0 vote in the House was uniquely bipartisan, even as lawmakers continued their partisan rhetoric.

I am one of those furloughed, and I am of two minds about this. I dislike the thought of being paid for not working. Yet, I know that many in my office live paycheck to paycheck (I don't have that worry), so I would be glad for their sakes.

It seems like the members of Congress are trying to ease their conscious, plus planning a long, long shutdown.

If I were President Obama, I would veto it. It did not work out well for his signing the CR for paying the military, since it gave the GOP the idea of submitting 'piece meal' legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies