Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Well, I'm HARDLY shocked that the .gov website had more than a few issues. That's the way it goes with the government occasionally. Couple that with about 100 million people trying to access it nearly simultaneously, and things are gonna be glitchy. Now, if it's still glitchy two months from now.......well.....that's a different story.
Five outside technology experts interviewed by Reuters, however, say they believe flaws in system architecture, not traffic alone, contributed to the problems.

For instance, when a user tries to create an account on HealthCare.gov, which serves insurance exchanges in 36 states, it prompts the computer to load an unusually large amount of files and software, overwhelming the browser, experts said.

If they are right, then just bringing more servers online, as officials say they are doing, will not fix the site.

"Adding capacity sounds great until you realize that if you didn't design it right that won't help," said Bill Curtis, chief scientist at CAST, a software quality analysis firm, and director of the Consortium for IT Software Quality. "The architecture of the software may limit how much you can add on to it. I suspect they'll have to reconfigure a lot of it."

Analysis: IT experts question architecture of Obamacare website

Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Obama stands on the backs of the most vulnerable to install his ideology.

Reid ensures no negotiations from his end to make the legislature look ineffective as a springboard toward more executive orders from obama. The ship has been boarded and we are now hostages of the cruelest tyrant posing as a US president.

Aside from being unethical obama is cruel and manipulative in the worst sense.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Rejoicing from the shutdown...

Republicans Celebrating after Shutting Down the Goverment - YouTube

Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM

537 posts, read 769,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You touch on a very sore topic with those folks. They have no idea of life 300 miles away and are quite content with their entitlement POV. Most of the furloughed govt 'employees' are in the DC area and is one of the reasons most aren't touched by it other than the shutdown of a few parks and whatnot. Sure, they might whine and cry about being sequestered from their overpaid positions but most of them do little for that money as it is. I can't wait to hear from some of them. I want then to lay out how many hours a day the actually work if responding. Not just merely breathing air but doing one's job.

The bubble insulated the area very well during the housing bubble burst. Sure, there were plenty of foreclosures but those would have foreclosed eventually anyway. I see another one on the horizon.

People in the DMV area can't conceive of the rest of the nation as they are the most important people in the world. They will let you know so. Go look and find out.
I live in this region and I am furloughed. I can assure you that parks being shutdown is not even on my radar because I'm a renter, barely 30, single, have student loan debt, and my job is my only income. I live paycheck to paycheck, truly. Thankfully no kids or dependents. It is very expensive to live in this region. I grew up in a poor Gulf Coast state, so I do have perspective. They've been advertising all of these "freebies for furloughed feds," but it's hard to take advantage of those when you don't know when you will be paid again. Me, I've been staying home, cleaning house, and digging through every drawer, in the sofa, and my car looking for quarters, begging family to please help me, and hoping people stop playing games and recall us. Although my October rent is paid, I am now concerned about November since next week will likely be my second week without income. I don't have that six months of savings money managers say you should have because like most Americans, I can't afford to save at that pace. Like I've said earlier in this thread, many of us are also under very strict federal regulations that restrict us from even seeking temporary employment while on furlough due to the potential for conflicts of interest. Basically we have to sit and wait it out. Many of us are scared. And we can't even leave to live with relatives (e.g., mine live in the southeast US), because if you don't report the moment the furlough is over (assuming it will end during normal business hours), they can list you as AWOL.

If you're going by what's going on in a region by what's posted on message boards here, then I can understand why you are misinformed.

One thing I have noticed living in this region is many people, especially people working for the fed, are from here (here being D.C., Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia). However, many are also from all over the US: From Hawaii to Kansas to North Carolina.

The housing markets in D.C. proper, NoVa, and places like Montgomery and Howard Counties in Maryland did not do so bad. Same for central Baltimore along the Inner Harbor. But people outside of those areas, including Baltimore County definitely were not insulated from the decline in home values.

In short, you're making generalizations that show you are either straight confabulating, purely ignorant, or are just statements that are not generalizable.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
One positive from this.....................the fish in those waters can recover during the closing period.
I didn't even know they were sick!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Hey, this conservative is GLAD it's shut down but credit where credit is due - reid and little barry boy.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Five outside technology experts interviewed by Reuters, however, say they believe flaws in system architecture, not traffic alone, contributed to the problems.

For instance, when a user tries to create an account on HealthCare.gov, which serves insurance exchanges in 36 states, it prompts the computer to load an unusually large amount of files and software, overwhelming the browser, experts said.

If they are right, then just bringing more servers online, as officials say they are doing, will not fix the site.

"Adding capacity sounds great until you realize that if you didn't design it right that won't help," said Bill Curtis, chief scientist at CAST, a software quality analysis firm, and director of the Consortium for IT Software Quality. "The architecture of the software may limit how much you can add on to it. I suspect they'll have to reconfigure a lot of it."

Analysis: IT experts question architecture of Obamacare website
And anyone can exam the framework code as it's on github for you techies.

https://github.com/CMSgov/healthcare.gov

Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

Well of course. It's more republican arrogance to think that they can fool anyone into thinking that they are upset over the government being shut down...they are the party that wants little to no government.

Mission accomplished.
Screw everyone else!!!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Politics aside along with emotions it is still unbelievable that two vastly different parties can put their differences aside to vote for back pay for such a small percentage of Americans that were forced to stay home. The fact that a compromise was reached to pay people not to work rather than fix a budget is crazy......................I literally think this situation is hopeless and a balanced budget will never happen.

Have we ever had a lack of a continuing resolution, no budget, sequestration and a debt ceiling deadline all in one year in government history?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
House just passed backpay bill 407-0.
Of course they did, now watch Reid and Obama take all the credit for it. That's exactly what Obama did over the "pay the troops" bill. They were for it, before they were against it and kept the House from passing any more "funding bills".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies