Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Why won't obama sit down like a grown-up and president of ALL the people and negotiate a settlement?

F you guys.
Because the settlment is an attempt to get rid of a law that he and the democratic party worked hard for, was vetted by the surpreme court and he won not only election but relection on. There are some things you don't negotiate on.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,980,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I've yet to see a single Federal Worker that does not agree with his tactics. That make the rest of us your enemy, just as we are His enemy.
Come out to the Dakotas for a different federal worker perspective.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:28 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,434,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why won't' Boehner put a clean bill to a vote?
Boehner says it's because there aren't enough votes to pass it.
In that case put it to a vote, have it fail, and then he has more leverage. "See? A clean vote failed. Now you have to negotiate."
Because a clean bill would likely pass at this point in time, but would **** off a lot of Republicans who would then remove Boehner from his job. I truly believe Boehner had no interest in shutting down the government, but knew that he would lose his Speaker position if he didn't do it.

At this point it behooves him to stretch this out until the debt ceiling fight, because where Obama won't budge on the CR, I can see him extracting SOMETHING from Obama on the debt ceiling fight. He just needs to get something.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,211,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't think it's so much that the General public thinks that Federal Workers are "the enemy" -- people are beginning to understand that the Federal Government and it's workforce think the American people are the Enemy.

I read this earlier today on City Data in another forum, written by a Federal Worker.

This person is wrong - the American Taxpayers are their Employers, not their Servants.

It IS as simple as that. You folks can continue to call anyone who disagrees with you an "anarchist", "arsonist", "TeaBagger", "Taliban", "Terrorist", "Extremist" ..... or anything you please, but understand that it's counter-productive. Obama is Out of Control with his Temper Tantrum. We have never seen anything like these ridiculous 'closures' in the history of this country. I've yet to see a single Federal Worker that does not agree with his tactics. That make the rest of us your enemy, just as we are His enemy.

More stories of crazy Obama ordered closures. Many of these "closures" are costing the Taxpayers 100's of 1,000's of dollars per day. Setting up barricades and posting Rangers at scenic overlooks on Federal Highways is just not really sane - I don't care what political party you belong to or what your ideology might be .... it's just not sane.
White House ordering Privately run, Privately funded Parks to Close
If he is running the nation with negligence, can't the congress impeach him?

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Nice being furloughed? No actually, it's not. They're not getting paid, remember? Should they get backpay? Absolutely. This shutdown is not the fault of the federal employee's, it's the fault of Congress, plain & simple.
They all got paid, their next pay period is a week away, and yes that will suck when they do not get a paycheck. But then all 0bama has to do is agree to delay the personal mandate, and this is all over. Or he could have told Reid to pass a federal budget to his desk over six months ago, and we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Perhaps you should check out that FB post by Michelle Malkin squealing about cops preventing people from viewing Mt. Rushmore. Just read the comments. Read all the little insults, sniping & whining by conservatives over that. Which turns out to be, wait for it, untrue. What a surprise!
The cones have been taken down due to a snow storm, but don't deny that they were put up earlier.

Government shutdown forces Lake Mead residents out of their homes - Washington Times

The government shutdown is forcing Lake Mead residents out of their homes because they sit on federal land, a Las Vegas television station reported. Joyce Spencer, 77, and her husband, Ralph, 80, were given 24 hours to vacate their home on Thursday.

Calling it the Spitehouse is aptly put.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Because a clean bill would likely pass at this point in time, but would **** off a lot of Republicans who would then remove Boehner from his job. I truly believe Boehner had no interest in shutting down the government, but knew that he would lose his Speaker position if he didn't do it.

At this point it behooves him to stretch this out until the debt ceiling fight, because where Obama won't budge on the CR, I can see him extracting SOMETHING from Obama on the debt ceiling fight. He just needs to get something.
To a politician, position is everything. Can't blame him.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,750,280 times
first off, what is a "clean" bill? the meaning keeps changing depending on who is calling for a "clean" bill. one person calls for it and it means no amendments, another calls for it, and it means everything we want in the bill. so the very first thing that needs to happen is to set a definition for a "clean bill".

Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first off, what is a "clean" bill? the meaning keeps changing depending on who is calling for a "clean" bill. one person calls for it and it means no amendments, another calls for it, and it means everything we want in the bill. so the very first thing that needs to happen is to set a definition for a "clean bill".
To me the clean bill means just raising the debt ceiling. Don't put the credit at risk while they fight out their issues.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM

17,387 posts, read 9,211,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Come out to the Dakotas for a different federal worker perspective.
I'm sure you are correct about that. I've also read in several articles on these nutty (and some of them are very nutty) closures that the Ranger is quoted as saying "it's disgusting, what they are forcing us to do".

I few are fighting back, more will fight back as this continues. They wired shut the barricades at the WWII Memorial yesterday to try and keep the 90+ year old Veterans in wheelchairs and with canes from walking past the Memorial that they paid for out of Private fund raising. I think it's a matter of time before some large groups challenge these Park Rangers and BLM people to keep them off of previously unmanned public land. They will have a choice - give way to the people are call in SWAT Teams. They can't call the National Guard - most of them have been "furloughed".

My post was strictly about what I've read online - in this forum and others.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,068,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Why won't obama sit down like a grown-up and president of ALL the people and negotiate a settlement?

F you guys.
If the democrats caused a government shut down because they didn't have enough votes to pass gun control, would you be okay with that?

That is what is happening here, the GOP is using the shutdown as a bargaining tool because they lack sufficient votes in congress to get what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.