Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Agree. Consider this scenerio I have. I am working shift work through this shutdown (and did so back in the 90s). There is a family wedding around Oct 20th in Florida (we live in far northwestern Minnesota). My wife and I bought tickets and hotel reservations. My wife is fearful of flying and is afraid to fly alone. Now if the shutdown or whatever isnt over by then (which it might but who knows)....if I take my several days of leave for this wedding and fly with my wife down to Florida I will not get paid for that leave (even in the retroactive pay proposal). Now do I stay here at work to get pay or have my wife miss a family wedding?

And the gall of some folks who says this shutdown has no impact

--Dan
If I were in your position ...... nobody could have paid me enough money to admit what you just admitted. The sad thing is, you have no clue why that is. The Taxpayers of this country have no idea of the total contempt that Federal Workers hold for them.

Take heart and re-assure your poor wife. The sky will fall on October 17th and we face total Armageddon according to Mr. "I will not negotiate". Odds are great that somebody in Washington will "save us" from the Armageddon. My money is on Boehner.

You are about You
Obama is about Obama
Reid is about Reid
Boehner is about the American people

Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
These roads are through federal land. The turnoffs are most likely not part of the right of way and are managed by the NPS. The roads themselves are probably Park Service roads, but have to be open for access by people who live in the National Forest to the West.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mount...278.15,,0,5.92

Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What exactly is the so called Koch agenda?
Charles and David Koch's reach into virtually every aspect of political, economic and physical life on the planet is probably greater than you thought possible.

You Thought the Koch Brothers Were Bad? Turns Out They're Even Worse Than You Thought | Alternet

Koch Brothers Exposed is a multi-media multi-platform creative campaign to expose the organizations that favor polices that would financially enrich the two brothers

About - Koch Brothers Exposed

Why Do These Koch Industries Neighbors Have Cancer?

http://www.truth-out.org/article/ite...rs-have-cancer

Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Are other VA hospitals in the US closing tomorrow?
No veterans healthcare is affected. The veterans benefits is closed.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Use common sense. I didn't read it yet, but it stands to reason that if the politicians they put into office are not in office any longer and people support the Democrats to keep The ACA in place, the Koch agenda is interrupted or falls apart. Jeez!
I see no common sense there. We have been told over and over that people are going to turn on the GOP over this. So again, what do they have to gain but shutting down the government.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm continually amazed by the apparent inability of the right to understand that when they cause the government to shut down, it means stuff gets shut down. What did you think it meant?

I put blame on Congress, not party. Nonetheless, I agree with you. The cherry-picking began with the Sequester.

If we are going to cut across the board, do so.

If we are shutting it down, do so.

If we are going to default on paying our bills, do so.

End the constant cherry picking of winners and losers.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Boehner is about the American people
Then why won't he bring the CR bill passed by the Senate to a vote in the democratically-elected House of Representatives?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I do like the nickname for them..barry-cades.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
“It’s all closed up,” the newspaper quoted North Collins, N.Y., resident Hilde Werneth as saying. “They won’t even let you stop and take a picture. You can only drive by.”
When you cause the government to shut down, stuff gets shut down. In post after post after post the right continues to express incredulity about this. It's getting to be really funny to watch you guys rail about the resulting havoc you have wrought.

Now if you don't like stuff being shut down, tell Boehner to allow a vote to open things back up. Until then, while the government remains shut down--at the Tea Party's insistence--then, yep, stuff will continue to be shut down. That seems like a really difficult concept for you guys to grasp.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When I first heard this one, I figured it had to be a joke. Come on, nobody could get that petty.

Turns out it's true. Along various public roadways with a view of Mt. Rushmore, there are wide spots beside the road where people could pull in, stop safely, and shoot pictures.

Not any more. The Fed govt has coned off many of those viewing areas, starting on Oct. 1 (the first day of the govt shutdown). Now you can only stay in the through lanes, and drive on past. No stopping.

Some wag cobbled up a "picture" of giant helicopters shrouding the carvings of the four Presidents on the mountain, with a giant sheet - an obvious photoshop job. Snopes.com says that one's a lie, in case anyone hadn't already figured it out: No giant helicopters have tried to shroud the mountain with a sheet.

They only coned off the safe-stopping areas.

-----------------------------------------

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...tirs-anger-S-D-

Mount Rushmore blockage stirs anger in South Dakota

Barring visitors from view an unexpected effect of shutdown
Oct. 5, 2013 |

Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.

“I think reasonable people can disagree about that,” Johnson said.

“It’s all closed up,” the newspaper quoted North Collins, N.Y., resident Hilde Werneth as saying. “They won’t even let you stop and take a picture. You can only drive by.”
You people should learn how to fact check... snopes.com: Spiteful Obama Blocks Off View of Mt. Rushmore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies