Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Negative it is NOT semantics. If you think so then you need to read up on financial terms and definitions.

Take a cue from your Dear Leader.

...or your icon:

Ronald Reagan: Defaulting on the debt ‘would be unthinkable’
“This country cannot be allowed to default on its financial obligations for the first time in history,” Reagan warned. “This would be unthinkable.”

People who have no risk aversion when it comes to the country’s credit rating have no business being in seats of power. The people need to throw-out the Tea Party, who have proven themselves to be reckless and irresponsible.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, I'm playing semantics by citing the definition of the word.

Please, you've already admitted earlier in the thread that we won't be able to meet ALL of our financial obligations. That's called defaulting. Period. So when you said we wouldn't DEFAULT you meant to say we wouldn't DEFAULT on servicing the National Debt, but would DEFAULT on other obligations, including those "irresponsible and egregious politically pandering promises" as well as on existing orders for equipment and services, and numerous other financial obligations.

DEFAULT means DEFAULT. We will DEFAULT on some of our financial obligations if the debt ceiling is not raised.

Senator Barack Obama 2006

Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Negative it is NOT semantics. If you think so then you need to read up on financial terms and definitions.

Take a cue from your Dear Leader.

I don't even know what this means. "Negative it is NOT semantics." The definition of DEFAULT is a failure to meet one's obligations, especially financial obligations. Servicing the National Debt is not the only financial obligation that the United States has. If we can't meet ALL of our financial obligations, then we will DEFAULT on some of them. That's just as plain English as I can make it.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
What I find so ironic is that the Park Rangers are on the job and will most likely get back pay.
But rather than doing what they did as their job before 10/1 they are at work keeping people out of the parks, and parking lots and stop points.

They are at work keeping the public away.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
...or your icon:

Ronald Reagan: Defaulting on the debt ‘would be unthinkable’
“This country cannot be allowed to default on its financial obligations for the first time in history,” Reagan warned. “This would be unthinkable.”
Never agreed with Reagan on everything. So then you agree with Reagan and I with Tip O'Neill who was doing what Boehner is now when Reagan gave that quote

Interesting huh.

I BTW I agree with the 2006 and 2008 Barack Obama on the debt ceiling.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
And they'll get better coverage.
Not really.
Quote:
Using Blue Cross rates, Blount calculated two examples: The premium for a “middle of the road” plan for a 25-year-old healthy male will increase from $124 per month to $240. But the premium for a 25-year-old female will drop from $378 to $240 per month.

Blue Cross spokesman Lew Borman said Friday that large premium increases will affect about one-third of the approximately 400,000 North Carolina customers who buy Blue Cross insurance in the individual market.
Insurance premium increases shock Charlotte consumers | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I don't even know what this means. "Negative it is NOT semantics." The definition of DEFAULT is a failure to meet one's obligations, especially financial obligations. Servicing the National Debt is not the only financial obligation that the United States has. If we can't meet ALL of our financial obligations, then we will DEFAULT on some of them. That's just as plain English as I can make it.

Sorry you dont understand the various definitions of default given the context. However that is not the case and you just prefer to be obtuse about the topic. That's fine.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm playing semantics by citing the definition of the word.
You're citing the definition for "obligations." The Constitution only mandates the payment of debts.

Debts. Obligations. Two different words.

How do you not know that?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What I find so ironic is that the Park Rangers are on the job and will most likely get back pay.
But rather than doing what they did as their job before 10/1 they are at work keeping people out of the parks, and parking lots and stop points.

They are at work keeping the public away.
It's called a government shutdown. Google it if you don't understand what it means.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The problem isn't whether or not the U.S. would continue paying - I agree that it probably would. But which ones would be paid? Which debts would be satisfied? Would there be interruptions? Even the slightest doubt among bondholders and investors could sow the seeds of global panic, particularly at a time where communications are instantaneous. So while in theory, your assumptions might seem true, the reality based on what the markets perceive could render an entirely different outcome. That's the problem with modern markets. They're wildly unpredictable, even with all of our algorithms and stop-orders.
The Market, bondholders and savvy investors understand MATH - they actually know what "default" means and they know that there can be no "default". You are absolutely correct about "which ones would be paid" on all other levels. There were several questions in the Press Conference about exactly that to Obama yesterday. They tried several times to ask him about "priorities" ..... he dodged.

We already know a bit about his "priorities".
Military Death benefits and funerals - no a priority
Military Union Civilian employees - yes priority
Veteran War Memorials - not a priority
Illegal Aliens rally on 'closed National Mall' - yes priority
Private homes and business on National Forest & Park land - no priority
$445 Million to PBS/NPR - yes priority
National Institute of Health & Cancer trials - no priority
Union Reps for Government Unions - yes priority
Veteran's benefits - no priority

People have a real right to worry about President Stompy Foot's "priorities".
Mr "I will not negotiate" will be the ONE person that decides HIS "priorities". He will look for for the most Pain he can find to inflict on his perceived Political enemy. That appears to be the Tax Payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies