Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times

Advertisements

Why should Dems compromise on cutting Obama's health care law when the repubs have shown absolutely that they would rather shut down the government than pass a clean bill which is all Dems want.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
There's no this or that economy. There's just the economy which is a measure of current economic output. Whether it sucks or not is up for debate, but it has been growing for some time and doing business is much easier than it was in 2009.

As for the Democrats shutting down the government you're being rather naive. We're whining because we lost elections, Democrats were able to pass our idea from the 90's and now it's 3 years later and the idiot tea baggers who got elected would rather shut down the government to help themselves get elected rather than be adults about things.

Back in the 90's, when we had real Republicans in office, not these pandering tea bagger idiots, this wouldn't have happened.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Is the purpose of the govt shutdown to stop spending money for which there is no appropriation? If so, why are we spending money to shutdown automatic services that have no expenditure other than maintance? The PandaCam is being shut down. Why? It runs by itself and unless it stops working and requires someone to get it going again it only consumes the electricity required to operate the camera and internet connection. The electric is not being shut down because the panda's would die if their climate control went offline. So we are paying extra to bring in someone to shut down something that is essentially costing nothing to leave alone.

We are shutting down the national parks. Ok, fine. I can see the sense in stopping all of the services that require manpower to provide until we have funding. Why are we using these people and more to man all the entrances to keep people out? Lock the gate and if someone sneaks in while the park it closed it is at their own risk. Why are we staffing extra people to guard the highway overlooks to keep people from looking at the park from the outside? The overlooks provide no services at all, so it is definitely more manpower to staff locations not normally staffed.

Just these two examples make it clear to me that the administration who has made these decisions is trying to punish the public to make an issue of denying them the use of public resources even if those resources require no govt resources.
That's nothing compared to the silly stuff they are doing on the National Mall. They have "closed" the National Mall and announced it's "illegal" to walk on the sidewalks. The have "closed" all the outdoor Memorials and put barricades around them. I doubt this has ever been done in history - those outdoor Memorials and the Mall are always "open" - you can walk the Mall at 2:00am (and lots of people do), you can walk up the steps to the Lincoln Memorial at any time ..... day or night.

But now .... they are "closed" and "barricaded". That's the silliest most divisive thing I've ever seen, it's like they are determined to cause as much pain and discomfort as possible to "we the people".

A group of WWII Veterans arrived today on a Honor Flight (trip long planned) to see the World War II Memorial - these people are all in their 90's. The Memorial was barricaded to keep them out. The WWII Vets and their Republican Congressmen 'stormed' the barricades, just as they 'stormed' the beaches of Normandy.

Visiting veterans storm closed war memorials - Washington Post

Good for them and for those who "helped" them. Make no mistake - these outdoor Memorials that have always been "open" 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and the National Mall sidewalks .... did not magically close themselves and put barricades around the Stone columns. This was done explicitly by orders from the Commander In Chief.

Spread it wide.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Come on dude, this is nothing but a childish tantrum, don't you have any self respect?

Is that the best you got pal...lol.
Funny coming from a person who lives in D.C. lol haa Oh my god you can't make that up.
Talk about living in a fantasy world.

Truth hurts people like you and your kind...reality is a b*tch.
Sooner or later it always rears its ugly head now you can go back to sleep.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Why should Dems compromise on cutting Obama's health care law when the repubs have shown absolutely that they would rather shut down the government than pass a clean bill which is all Dems want.
It's equivalent to making a demand, "if you agree to my demands, I'll let you keep breathing. See, I am willing to negotiate."

Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM

293 posts, read 249,924 times
Redumblicans are starting to feel the HEAT.

The Weeper of the House is crying like a little girl as we speak...

Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If they wanted one thing, then they should legislate it, not try to extort it.
They can't legislate it. The Senate does not do anything....They have not even passed a budget for 5 years! I don't see how Obamacare is even funded if its not specifically funded by a budget item. Its all a CR which is in and of itself unconstitutional.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's a no-brainer.

The Senate simply wants to pass a bill allowing the government the funds to operate. That's what the President wants. That's what the people of the United States want. That's what most Republicans, including those in the House, want. <snip>

The Tea Party Republicans are holding a gun to Reid's head. And to Boehner's head. And to the heads of ALL Americans.
You are ALMOST correct. It takes a NO-BRAINER to believe that the people want to hand the government a blank check with which to operate.

Perhaps it takes a gun to the head to make some people pay attention. I know that the rhetoric is to pass the bill to keep things running and we can make adjustments later. The problem is that as long as things are running acceptably, noone will suffer the pain of adjustments to get things running properly.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
I'll just jump in, I'm ashamed of my government. The people we elect to do a job are not doing their job. I guess it could be our fault, then again, they tell us how ready they are for the problems we face. Evidently not. We face a failing two party system where neither party seems to ever want to listen to the other or make any form of sacrifice for the benefit of the people. They are focuses on their own success, not the country's. Bottom line, when faced with a gridlock, rather than trying to find a way out, they just stop. They won't do their job because they couldn't properly do their job. It's sickening. It makes me wish there was a relevant 3rd party even more. Granted, a shutdown could still happen with 3 parties, but at least we'd have a second opinion. Maybe a healthy middle ground.

The people who did this are letting the people they serve down. And they really don't care.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Obama you make me laugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
So I'm listen to this idiot Pres. and he said " Just when the economy is gaining traction the Republicans do this"
Really???
This economy sucks way before this shut down Mr. Pres.
Lets get this straight, Obama and the Dems WANT a shut down because they think it helps them.....so they could give a rats a*s about the people just as the he could make the sequester not hurt so much but he WANTED it to hurt.

I have said this many times....he's a sick bas*ard!

You have to be a complete fool to believe anything this dope says but then again he was voted into office again so I guess there are a lot of fools in this country.

Sounds a whole lot more like whimpering and whining than laughter.

BTW, it's "listening"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies