Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why on earth would the WWII Memorial be closed? It needs no paid staff. People can freely walk in and out of it whether there is a shutdown or not. You can turn off the fountain and not put up the barricades. In fact putting up barricades was probably more expensive than leaving it open.
these were exactly the thoughts i had when hearing this story...

Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Did they order that for themselves or for "the troops?"
Pentagon Spent $5 Billion on Weapons on the Eve of the Shutdown | Killer Apps

(The fitness and TV studios were mentioned in another article that I had read first, but it is not in English.)

Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Default Leftist Shutdown Rhetoric

This is laughable. Here is what one Lefty said regarding the shutdown. Does anyone think that they really believe this? This is just to inflame (fire up) the Leftist sycophants:
"America, we are told, is in the grim midst of an unrivaled constitutional crisis that is being perpetrated in anger by “racist,” “bomb-throwing” “anarchists” whose “endgame” and ultimate fantasy is the shutting down of government — not, of course, because the co-equal branches of the American polity cannot come to a budget agreement, but because a vocal “extreme” minority, that has magically managed to transmute itself into a majority of the House and 46 percent of the Senate, does not believe in having a government at all.

E. J. Dionne, the Washington Post’s resident worrywart, yesterday assured his concerned readers that Washington has shut down because “right-wing extremists” who do not accept the president’s “legitimacy” have taken an axe to America’s “normal, well-functioning, constitutional system,” and swung it, too, against “anyone who accepts majority rule and constitutional constraints.” Among his ideological bedfellows, this is a popular complaint."
Government Shutdowns: A History | National Review Online

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Pentagon Spent $5 Billion on Weapons on the Eve of the Shutdown | Killer Apps

(The fitness and TV studios were mentioned in another article that I had read first, but it is not in English.)

Thanks for the link (seriously!!). I read through it and, unless you're totally against defense spending, I did not see anything in there that looked remotely frivolous.

The DoD is one of the few (if not the only) agencies that is allowed reprogramming of their budgets. Because their needs are so varied and ever-changing, they were given that flexibility. So about 4 times a year, all DoD budget people go through reprogramming exercises where they look at what they've got, what they've spent, and if they can reallocate to other areas that have, say mid-year, become more critical and they don't have to go back to Congress to get that done. Right before the end of the fiscal year (usually in July/August) they go through it again. Those contracts you see awarded on Sept 30 had been in the works/planning for several months (it takes that long to pull together a contract). Despite what the article portrays or insinuates, there was no "last minute" spending spree but nothing more than a reallocation of funds over the summer with the last minute push to get it done before COB 30 September. Usually because the funding expires on that date, people work overtime and extra to make it happen by that date. Earlier in the year, they award tons of contracts, just at a slower pace.

I love the slant and tone though, it makes me laugh.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Those Honor Flight Veterans are in their 80's and 90's. Many will not get another chance to make the trip. Good for them.
Yeah, that's a pretty tough bunch with a lot of ingenuity.

If I'm a WW2 combat vet in my 80's I'd be "screw em, they can arrest me if they want" lol.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was closed probably because all parks are supposed to be closed, but you would think they could leave some stuff open, but then you need someone to come up with a list of stuff to remain open. Why are parks closed? I don't know why they can't just leave the gates open and let people enter at their own risk? Do they worry about vandalism, theft, law suites? Could be. I don't know. It's funny some Republicans tried to suggest Obama personally ordered this particular park closed, whey full well know all parks are closed.
The parks don't need to be closed.

This is what the government (read: Democrats) does when it wants something from the people (higher taxes) or wants to make a point, they defund the things we will miss the most like the libraries or the local sports teams and leave the things we don't give a crap about (the Assistant to the Secretary of the Dog Catcher). In other words they use extortion.

I can't believe that you are unfamiliar with this tactic.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I applaud the WWII vets for ignoring the barricade and entering their memorial.
The memorial should have remain closed, and the Vets should have then turned to the GOP Senators and Congressmen from their home states accompanying them, whose behavior added to the shut-down, and told them what they thought. Placating the Vet while at the same time hurting others affected by the shutdown, is the wrong course of action.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The memorial should have remain closed, and the Vets should have then turned to the GOP Senators and Congressmen from their home states accompanying them, whose behavior added to the shut-down, and told them what they thought. Placating the Vet while at the same time hurting others affected by the shutdown, is the wrong course of action.
You clearly think these vets are stupid.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
This was an open-air memorial, anyway, and access shouldn't have been impeded. It was just another of the Obama's "I'll show you" government "closings."

Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Default Democrats to America:

"It's our way or the highway. You don't count. No negotiations on bills we passed. Go to Hell"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies