Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No. Ibuprofen is a NSAID...Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug.
Tylenol, or acetaminophen, is an analgesic (painkiller) and an antipyretic (fever reducer). It has little effect on inflammation.
Actually, ibuprofen also works as an analgesic and antipyretic.

Discussing specific drugs is getting way OT, so my suggestion to the poster who has questions about them is to ask his/her doc or look the info up themselves.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Actually, ibuprofen also works as an analgesic and antipyretic.

Discussing specific drugs is getting way OT, so my suggestion to the poster who has questions about them is to ask his/her doc or look the info up themselves.
Yes. I should have specified that acetaminophen is just an analgesic and antipyretic. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well. That extra punch can be really hard on the system. 107,000 patients are hospitalized each year in the U.S. and 16,500 die from NSAIDs.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the 80's I broke my foot.
Did the typical ER run and got a cast and then an appt 6 weeks out to get the cast off.

Fast forward to current times.
My son broke his hand. Did the ER run and got a cast.
The doctor though wants to see him in his office each week for the next 6 weeks.
I asked why and he said just to check the cast.
What ?
Told them no thanks. We'll call on 11/1 to schedule and appt to get the cast off.

He did have a scan and there is nothing abnormal about his break. Cast for 6 weeks and then it's off.
Why the weekly visits just to "check the cast" ? I know these visits aren't free but the doctor/nurse would not tell me how much each of those visits would cost.

Now I know why costs have skyrocketed.
I refuse to play the game.

Due to a lot of malpractice cases - orthopedics sometimes see the patient weekly to xray the hand, foot ect... to make sure the position of the bone hasn't changed.

I've worked in orthopedics for 30+ yrs - some fractures need nothing but a cast but a check after a week or so is not unheard of. Some fractures need to be manipulate so the bone is straight - and this can be done while applying the cast - so a recheck is in order to make sure the position is still correct. Some fractures are very unstable and need to be checked more often to make sure they don't loose their position.

A lot of times, especially with kids and teenagers - they ask to follow up weekly to make sure they everything is ok with the cast - or to recast if swelling goes down and the cast is too loose to hold the fracture position.

I've had kids come in with an ankle fracture - casted them and the next week - the cast was in shreds as they walked on it even tho they were told not too. I've had hand fractures that were worse the second week as the kid thought the cast was just protection and he could still punch someone with it - the fracture was worse and had to be plated. I've had people just not like the cast and cut it off themselves numerous times.

Unfortunately, any one of those instances can end up as a lawsuit against the orthopedist - even though it is the patient's stupidity - some lawyer will take the case.

For most insurances - the doctor's bill a fracture code - this includes not only the initial treatment and casting but also all followup care for say 60 days for a hand fracture. Where you may get hit for additional co-pays is for the xrays.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Due to a lot of malpractice cases - orthopedics sometimes see the patient weekly to xray the hand, foot ect... to make sure the position of the bone hasn't changed.

I've worked in orthopedics for 30+ yrs - some fractures need nothing but a cast but a check after a week or so is not unheard of. Some fractures need to be manipulate so the bone is straight - and this can be done while applying the cast - so a recheck is in order to make sure the position is still correct. Some fractures are very unstable and need to be checked more often to make sure they don't loose their position.

A lot of times, especially with kids and teenagers - they ask to follow up weekly to make sure they everything is ok with the cast - or to recast if swelling goes down and the cast is too loose to hold the fracture position.

I've had kids come in with an ankle fracture - casted them and the next week - the cast was in shreds as they walked on it even tho they were told not too. I've had hand fractures that were worse the second week as the kid thought the cast was just protection and he could still punch someone with it - the fracture was worse and had to be plated. I've had people just not like the cast and cut it off themselves numerous times.

Unfortunately, any one of those instances can end up as a lawsuit against the orthopedist - even though it is the patient's stupidity - some lawyer will take the case.

For most insurances - the doctor's bill a fracture code - this includes not only the initial treatment and casting but also all followup care for say 60 days for a hand fracture. Where you may get hit for additional co-pays is for the xrays.
I've also seen some pretty nasty infections develop underneath the cast from people sticking sharp objects like coat hangers in there to scratch an itch. It's the perfect environment for an infection....warm and moist.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Absolutely Welt - I've seen a variety of things when I've re-xrayed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies